1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Asus XONAR D1, UPDATED topic! Fao Goodbytes

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ravenheart, 10 May 2010.

1. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

But it pours :(

Just spent nearly £53 on an Asus Xonar D1 soundcard for my PC because I was sick of using
    the under par onboard audio and I have a problem or is it a problem? What's happening is what sounds like an initialisation sound OR a sound very closely related to static but it sounds like it is definitely coming from the new sound card as I've had the case off and been close enough to listen, see the screenshot below as I haven't got anything close enough to cause static, unless the motherboard battery located directly BELOW the soundcard (see just a little to the right of the arrow on the right hand side in the pic) is that causing static?? Or some sort of interference?

[​IMG]

The soundcard is located directly below my Graphics Card as can be seen in the picture as well, and surely I shouldn't have any initialisation sounds or any sound like static surely? Or have I just got to put up with it as par for the course (I'd doubt it though) as I've never heard that sound on any soundcard I've had in the past.

So what should I do, try it in a different PCI slot? But their is only one I could put it in and thats the one below the one it's in now which is even closer to the PSU.

Advice please?

Last edited: 11 May 2010
  2. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

so it wasnt making the noise before you installed it?

try taking it out and listning. also yes try another pci slot and see if you get same result. check drivers are up to date, perhaps if you can try it in a different pc?

then if all fails it might be faulty and need rma :thumb:

3. Ravenheart

No my pc wasn't making any noises like that at all before I installed the Xonar as I was using the onboard audio.

Will try it in a different pci slot though later on and see what happens.

In the meantime I'd appreciate any other info as well if anyone can offer some?

Cheers

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Is it like a pop/click when you turn your PC off? If so I have the DS and mine does that - had no issues with it though so...

thehippoz likes this.
  5. Ravenheart

Yes it is a sound like that, and I don't know if you agree but it sounds very closely related to a static sound, it happens just after I turn the PC on or just as it's turning off, it makes the same sound and it's just got me a little worried that's all because I've got quite an expensive pc with a i7 860, 4 gig of ram 3 hard drives, gtx 275 gfx card etc and a VERY expensive psu and I don't want to risk damaging the components if their is a problem.

I mean could it be some sort of initialisation thing of some sort? And should it really sound like that?

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

pop sound when turn on your computer or when Windows loads (loads the drivers) and shutdown/turn off, is normal. It's the amplifier of the sound card that turn off.

The reason for this is that the sound card doesn't know when the motherboard is about to turn off.

So it's normal. However, it's not normal that is occurs while the system is actually on and fully loaded.

Last edited: 10 May 2010
    thehippoz likes this.
  7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Cheers for that Goodbytes. :) Mine is fine then!

8. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Could be that you don't have a very consistent power source, which can cause static through your audio outputs. Also, in rare occurrences, it could be RF interference. But I agree with GoodBytes, if it's only at start up and shutdown, then there isn't anything to worry about.

9. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

The pops can be because they don't use what is known as smoothing capacitors, as they can be detrimental to sound quality. Static could be that slot on the mobo. Just ideas, not concrete though.

10. GoodBytes

Correct, well it's actually a circuit that needs to be implemented for these capacitors.
    The problem with this, is that it cost more. So that means that the sound card might cost more.
    I don't know about the other Xonar models as I don't have one, But, if the other has that, than it means that ASUS wanted to to really cut the cost down of this model, all by keeping a reasonable level of profits.

11. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

I used to mod the cheapo technics cd players by simply removing the smoothing capacitors. They popped and banged on power on/off, but the sound quality improvement was insane.

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Fans are 1 of the worst culprits for noise and cross talk from the wires going to them and that big old PSU's the closet 1 to it and the GPU aint to far away either. If you've got any cabling down the back of the case try moving away. Tape it up the top somewhere if possible. Might help a bit.

13. GoodBytes

yes, cable management is needed in his computer case :)
    Here is a picture of my case (Antec SOLO)... no special mods, no tape, no tie wraps, or anything like that. Only used what the case comes with, if you want some ideas:
    http://pages.videotron.com/eps/case1.JPG

- I put the HDD on reverse, so that the connectors are the other way.
    - I pass small cables (like fans, frontal USB) between the motherboard and the case. (can't put large cables and don't want any tight fit).
    - Pass cables on the backside of the case (behind the motherboard).
    - Don't have floating cables, have them hidden behind the case or something.

In addition, you get to be able to reduce computer noise and temperature.
    (if you wonder about the top HDD, it's not connected, and is now gone from the system... it was my old HDD which I don't use anymore)

14. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Now thats what I call a tidy case!

15. Ravenheart

Trust me the cable management in my pc is pretty good already considering I have 4 hard drives in total, 1 x dvd-r and 1 x dvd-rw drive, the 2 pci-e connectors being in use on the gfx card and 6 SATA cables in total (4 for the hdd's and 2 for the dvd drives) and all I have is a Antec 300 case which isn't really that big! And I haven't even mentioned the cables connecting the 2 case fans that come with the Antec case, so I think with so many cables I haven't done a bad job at all :), not much else I could do to be honest.

And the psu i've got the psu cables are quite big as you can see from the pic lol, and trying to fit all the cables between the motherboard and case is a big no no considering the amount of cables I've got in my system and it's way too much fiddling for my liking, + my temps are VERY good, see this screenshot of my temps in my case, the cpu isn't even above 29 degrees celsius, now that's cool! And it's never been higher than 34 degrees celsius (when not under load) in the entire 9 months since I built my rig, the highest temp is my gfx card @ 41 degrees celsius, and the coolest are my 2 Samsung F3's @ 27 degrees celsius

[​IMG]

What other Asus Xonar users have said though makes sense, as what they said about the popping noise is exactly what happens when I boot up or shut down my rig, NEVER at any other time :), I just don't like hearing those sort of noises and I'm still not convinced any soundcard should do that, I mean do Creative high end cards do the same?

16. GoodBytes

Ah yes! Sorry I did not pay attention to your HDD's.

The X-Fi does this as well.
    I have the X-Fi XtreamMusic - this one, and it does it. So was my Nvidia SoundStorm, Creative Audigy, Creative Live (version 1), and Creative Sound Blaster 16, and so will my next sound card, ASUS Xonar (did not decide on a model yet).

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It's what I call an insult to the Antec Three Hundred :rolleyes:

Nice PSU though! :thumb:

18. Ravenheart

Hmm,

I had one or 2 of those cards (definitely had a Creative Sound Blaster Live, never heard the popping sound though! Maybe I just got lucky that one time? lol, noticed the cheapo soundcards don't make any of those kind of sounds though! Because my dad bought a 7.1 soundcard (didn't pay much for it) bout £12 I think made by Trust, still got to be better than onboard audio though?

Whose PSU mine or his? lol (or both) :D

19. Ravenheart

Hi again Goodbytes,

Just a quick query on this, do you mean the D1 has an actual amplifier on the card? Or did you mean the equalisers on the card turning on and off?

20. GoodBytes

Sound card via the analogue plug is amplified, else the sound can't pass.
    Also, it give you the ability to plug your headphones directly to the sound card, on it's way (no special engineering). Increasing or decreasing the volume on your computer is not a software emulation, (even on onboard sound card), it's actually controlling the amplifier of the sound card.

Speakers system has some sort of controller for the volume. When you reduce the volume, it pass through resistors to lower the volume, while if you increase the volume the sound get amplified with the built-in amplifier of the speakers system.
    You can hear this effect at work with crappy onboard sound cards. If you put the volume of your PC at max, you hear a big static, but if you reduce the volume at let's say 50%, and boost your speakers volume at the max (assuming you have descent speakers), you don't (as the speaker amplifier is better than the one on the onboard sound card).