1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Evolution

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Editor22, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Lol yeah I might just do that, it's all a bit slow at the moment as it's just little fiddley bits but I Wanted to keep the log alive so people know it's not dead. think the panels should be done by next week then it's on to the windows :)

2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Nice metal work 22, it's always a pleasure to see nice fitting parts. :thumb:

3. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Well on that note I can't wait to see how the smoked plexi looks.

4. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks mate and also thanks for that filing guide you made a while back, helped no end with speeding up filing down to a straight edge :)

You and me both :p

Yesterday I made the other bottom panel but as its the same it seems a bit pointless making a duplicate post so ill hold off until a parcel arrives and I can get cracking on finishing both panels ready for painting :)

5. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Received a package today :) inside was something that's taken me ages to source.
    A x flow stealth 240.

[​IMG]

So now I have all the components for the WC loop minus some compression fittings. Dont they just look cute together :thumb:

[​IMG]

Hadnt planned on doing anything this evening but while I had the rad out I figured it would be a waste not to mount it.
    Started off but printing out a template from WCUK and drilling the fan mounting holes.

[​IMG]

Then ran round the edge with the jigsaw

[​IMG]

Time for a rough test fit before some light filing. You can see here how the interior layout is shaping up.

[​IMG]

And with the fans running. I only noticed while I was editing the photos that one of the bolts is slightly off centre but hopefully it will fall into place once I strap the grill on.

[​IMG]

And that's all I got for tonight.

6. ModaRobby

LOL! Every time I look for that rad it's in stock but I don't have the money. When I do have the money it's on backorder! Grrr!

I like how your hiding everything in the bottom like this. It would give your case great airflow if you weren't WCing it. The beauty of having all the tools to construct a case to your exact specifications. :sigh:

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The rad mounting looks great, where did you get the template from?

8. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

lol I had a hell of a trouble finding a UK stockist and any I did find were out of stock ended up going with http://overclock.co.uk/ was great service actually :) As for workspace.... when I started the project I had the top of a washing machine as my bench and the only tools In the shop were a £25 drill and a cheap junior hacksaw :p

Thanks dude I got the template from WCUK on one of there fan grill pages

9. PingviN

PingviN What's a Dremel?

This is an awesome mod, that's for sure. Really like the UV-reactive panels, not to mention all the metalwork, it looks stunning.

What fans are those? They look great!

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Cheers Editor.

@ PingvIN - Those are Cooler Master Silent Blue 120mm case fans.

11. ModaRobby

12. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

As 4rm oz said there coolermaster ones:)

I was thinking of swapping them out for these once the project is further along but it all depends on funds :)

Ok on with the show, Got the second Rad mounted this evening but it was pretty much the same process as before so no working pics. As you can see my bars look a bit like swiss cheese at the moment due to a few trials but nothing some filler cant fix "i hope :worried:"

[​IMG]

Currently I only have 2 120mm fans and Im reluctant to buy any more untill I settle on what ones to use :idea:

[​IMG]

A front a back shot showing how the 2 rads connect and the clearance between them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all I got tonight but bring on a weekend full of modding and if there's time maybe an update or two :)

Last edited: 16 May 2010
  13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Very nice job man, I ve been watching this worklog for a long time now and I must say I am really impressed. I am planning on a new mod right now and basically I will do a simple chassis from aluminum like yours but bigger, can you show some close pictures of the main chassis connections please? I am gonna do that completely different but I was just curious how did you put that frame together! Thanks! :)

14. ModaRobby

Swiss cheese. Lol. Case looks fine to me bro. You could always sand it and go for the brushed aluminum look. Always sexy. Too bad it's more sanding than any one person should ever tackle.

And I really want to see this finished so nevermind sanding the entire thing. Haha.

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks man loved you last mods so will be great to see what you have planned for your next one, I'll try and get some shots of the frame or a SU model later for youwhen I'm done in the shop :)

Lol there's no way in hell I could sand it. I know I would go all ocd and end up polishing it to a mirror finish, need to get me some self control lol

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Can't believe I missed this! It's looking beautiful so far, well done :) Subbed because I think this is going to turn out very nicely indeed!

PS: Nice x-Flow :thumb: It's nice to see another fan of the HW Labs rads here on bit tech :)

17. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Wow i really love how this looks!!

18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks fellas, as for the x-flow.. it just looks gorgeous and in a weird way kinda cute being all diddy and thin:p

Got the top of the case done today but its not really worthy of an update in its self so hopefully I'll get time to make a start on the side panel tomorrow.

PS. anyone know of a good way to bevel plexi? been trying a few tests with the jigsaw set at various angles but all seem to come out pants when cutting inner curves :duh:

19. ModaRobby

Well then dont do that unless you have a pneumatic sander. Those always make life easier.

20. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Made a start on the front panel today but first here's what the tops looking like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok so for the front of the case I started with some measurements and marking

[​IMG]

Then some cutting and filing :)

[​IMG]

Got the brake out and with butterfly's in my stomach began to bend.. still not feeling overly confident bending especially after I messed up the last attempt.

Nearly there but still a few more degrees left to go.

[​IMG]

Perfect :)

[​IMG]

All clamped up and ready for some mounting, I realised once all the holes were tapped that I was out of the temporary m4 button heads I'm using so having to use some old countersunk ones till I hit ebay again.

[​IMG]

Just the top left to do now but I'm unsure of the positioning for the bolts so while I ponder that here is how it looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not really liking the amount of screw heads but hopefully once there countersunk in and the case is painted they should blend in much better and be less of an eye sore.

That's it, enjoy what's left of your weekend folks