1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Avoid Iron Man 2 unless...

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 8 May 2010.

1. stivalmighty

stivalmighty What's a Dremel?

Though this movie looks really good im looking foward to seeing it.

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Hell yes.

That, however, does not make the dumbed-down, simplified, steroid abusing crap any less fun.

3. JustLeigh

JustLeigh What's a Dremel?

@ Stonedsurd,

(Climbs down from soap box) Yes you are right, got carried away there. There is definately a place in this world for slap bang action and special effects, and superheroes fit that bill fantastically.

I just wish they weren't so camp. (generally speaking Marvel here. I would never call Bats camp. Adam West, yes).

Getting deep (I've been drinking), why is it we all love lowest common denominator action so much? What ever happened to good old mental *yawn* stimulation?

PS - Flying in the face of all my high and mighty talk, a Thor movie would only work if based on the Ultimate version (like Nick Fury). Verily, Thee and Thou are dead words. Let them die.

4. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

The whole point of Marvel movies is that is full of eye candy and effects, youre not one of those whom complains in kungfu movies when they start flying and stuff because it is unbelievable?

Enjoy the movie for what it is, entertainment, there is documentary if that would float your boat better. I enjoy both :D

There is "The Pianist" for some serious acting.

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

-1 for this, I'm a huge* Pepper Potts fan, much more so than Scarlet Johanson. Pretty much saw this film for her.

+1 for this. Oh yeah!

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hehe what's with scarlet johanson.. and sam jackson has lost his mind- everytime I see his face I'm waiting for 'I'm a mushroom cloud layin mf.. mf' and it never happens anymore.. he needs to go back to that

7. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Methinks people are taking the movie wayyyyy to seriously! I loved the movie. Lots of action and special effects. I'm a massive Marvel fan, and I am disappointed in the way most of the movies have strayed from the comics, latest Batman excepted, but I go to the cinema to be entertained. I have the History/Geography/Autobigraphical channels to learn stuff! :)

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

which is exactly why this movie was not good enough ; it was not entertaining.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This seems to be a popular defense of modern films generally when they have as much intellectual content as Jordan and enough special effects to choke George Lucas. It's a bad defense. It's entirely possible to make a film packed with special effects that also has a good story, a discernible structure and flow, well-developed characters, good dialogue and intelligent humour rather than college humour.

If you have low standards that's cool, more power to you; but some people don't, and they're within their rights to be annoyed when a multi-million dollar endeavour two years in the making ends up evidencing significantly less intelligence than, say, a Bit-Tech article with a one-man budget and a one-day development time.

We ought to stop forgiving film makers for being so endlessly stupid and unthinking in their work. Understand that these people aren't idiots and they're not stretched for resources. They have no excuse for producing patronising brainless tat.

10. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

It's a big production Hollywood movie, its fate was already decided before you went to see it.

As consumers, we have the choice to not watch.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  11. miester7

miester7 My single core cpu plays crysis

Its a sweet film! I didn't check my mobile during it, I was too entertained! I agree some of the characters were not portrayed as well as they should have been.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

so what you're saying is that you usually check your phone when watching a movie... Okay 0.o

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

**** sells, why even bother trying to have a point in the action films? Seriously, if you don't enjoy the basic big budget CGI-showcases, also known as Hollywood films, just don't watch them. I know I don't.

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I don't agree. There can always be a 'coolness' factor in this kind of movie that can make then genuinely good regardless of the quality of the dialogues or the acting in general. The first IronMan and X2 are two prime example of this. The problem with IM2 is this coolness factor is non existent. Seeing Stark put on the suit for the first time in the first movie was incredibly cool. In the second movie though it got old and I think they actually put more emphasis on it than before, which made it boring

There were good scenes and I did have some laughs but I judge a movie by the overall feelings I got once it is over and this time, I was far from overwhelmed.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Amen bro. And I hope you meant fine. ;)

16. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

Went to see it last night, Was ok, Mindless entertainment and yes, Gwyneth and Scarlett were fantastic....mmmmm.. sorry went off topic there, but yeah I enjoyed it!

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Mmmmmm.... mmmmmmmm... I agree with you on those two "subjects" ;)

18. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

All I have to say is :thumb:

19. omicron

omicron Baud.

I will never understand people's attraction to Scarlet Johanssen. She is very odd looking, in my opinion.

Why the hell are you watching comic book adaptations if you want intelligent writing and highbrow plot devices? In fact, why are you even going to the cinema at all? You should be at cannes, or in the sort of cinema that still calls itself a 'kinotheatre'.
    Not every film has to deliver an earth-shattering epiphany, tortured emotional writhing and a transcendental plot. Sometimes it simply suffices that the film is both enjoyable and disposable on an entirely unintellectual level.

Last edited: 17 May 2010
  20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

You say that about all conventionally attractive famous women. You're just suffering from Scarlett hype backlash.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not being an elitist jerk, I'm just practicing induction. I don't expect all films to be cerebral and high-brow, but the first one set itself apart by being serious and mature in a way that was/is very unusual for a comic book film. As a result it developed a huge following of people who appreciated this change of pace, only to find Iron Man 2 cockslapping them in the face by resembling the Transformers films.

There's an silent understanding in film and TV that once you've cultivated a particular type of audience and shown them what you prefer to do with the medium, you keep doing roughly the same thing and build on the foundations instead of changing them. It can go too far the other way if creators try explicitly to pander to their fans, of course, but consistency is a virtue. If Metallica started playing love ballads it wouldn't be unreasonable or pushy of their paying concert attendees to complain.

If you haven't seen the Iron Man films, it'd probably help to watch them both before assuming I'm being a jerk about this.

It's also worth pointing out that, on top of the massive objective shift in style and maturity, I personally didn't find the film enjoyable. I've nothing against brainless-but-fun films, but this wasn't very fun for the most part.