1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Does anyone really need a 1Kw PSU?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 7 May 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Excluding the bold part where you seem to take me for an idiot, I agree with you that quality should always come before power but I would still rather play safe and getting both. I will be testing a GTX260 SLI this weekend and I know I wouldn't have been able to do so with my old PSU (it's actually why I didn't try before). This is why I am glad I got an overkill one

2. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

People are just misquoting on purpose now trying to make the discussion between quality and quantity, a meme they are familiar with.
    In the PSU market you can get both, like an Enermax Galaxy 1250, which has high quality components and gives you 1250 watts.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Over estimates my power consumption by nearly 70%. The only honest way to know your power consumption is to plug your computer in to a power monitor and use it how you normally do. Before wasting money on a 1kw psu buy a £10 monitor from maplin and see how it really pans out.

Mine for my low end system (Athlon II) is only about 120w in normal use.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

What are adapter cables? All I see are crutches.

Seriously though, sucking up all my molex connectors just because I have an old power supply doesn't sound too pleasing, not from a cable management, asthetic, or feasibility perspective. While I'm thinking about it, I've never seen a SATA to 6 or 8 pin 12V adapter or anything of the "SATA to" sort. Starting to seem like they'd be more useful as newer power supplies seem to be cutting down the number of 4 pin molex in favor of SATA.

5. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

what is your full system spec?

that 1050 should be plenty unless you have 20 hard drives linked up too. otherwise step up to the 1250w version if you feel its not enough, you can obviously afford it.

6. Lockon Stratos

& sorry for the slow reply - I dont frequent on bit-tech forums much

7. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

No It's not the full specs, But this below is, Of course I have car repairs and a down payment on a house to save for all on $845 a month(SSI/SSP income as I'm a disabled person):

Note: I'm not a gamer, I crunch numbers for a Boinc project known as Seti@Home.

Last edited: 14 May 2010
  8. Lockon Stratos

its a damn shame to waste so much powerful hardware purely for folding or whatever, but there a such people that exist purely to throw in a ton of money, build a super computer that can bench like a real motherf**ker then dump it in the corner doing mundane tasks when their done benching it.

------

well, I think there was an artical somwhere on the site that allowed you to link 2 PSUs togther that power up & shutdown at the same time. keep the enermax. for the graphics. & upgrade the 450VX to something a little more powerfull if you see fit. because really theres no easy way out unless you do perchase the 1600watt X4 monster.

& i would be very careful if you do decide to buy the X4 because not many peoples rigs use over 1000watts of power. so it could well be a case of false advertising, the label says 1600w but it will only do 1300w before dissapearing in a cloud of smoke.

Im just trying to suggest the best method to look after your hardware because it is expensive, & i know how it feels when a PSU dies & takes stuff with it.

9. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

I do play some Civ 4 from time to time(Otherwise I don't feel like It), Browse the net, do email, sometimes some editing of pictures and listen to My music on My PC, In addition to the number crunching of course. Yeah running two psus at the same time one for the video cards(Enermax) and the other(Corsair) for the rest of the stuff is only cause the Corsair has only one 12v rail and not multiple ones like on the Enermax, There is a cable to allow one to hook two psus together as the green wire and a black wire by a small adapter cable is connected to the 2nd psu(Enermax) while everything else is powered by Corsair psu, You press the power button for the Corsair to on and the Enermax is also powered on at the same time too. Money is limited, Besides I do have a couple other PCs, One is in case the lamp in the TV burns out as It's an HP Media center with an 850w Corsair psu and needs to be replaced(about a $91 part) and then there's the one I'm typing which is a QX6700 B1(ES, circa October 2006!) cpu with a 900w OCZ psu @ 3.42GHz, the ram there is at 427MHz/533MHz(effectively 854/1066MHz or 4:5) And It's water cooled w/a Corsair H50 and a pair of Delta fans(129cfm/113/cfm 120x38mm & 120x25mm). Oh and I have the intake for the H50 filtered as It's a Dusty area here. :jawdrop:

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

No. I was defending myself.

11. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Oh and It's not a waste, I don't know If You know this or not, But Boinc is able to use some gpus to crunch with as well as cpus, Unlike Folding Boinc will launch as many apps as the client has hardware for, currently It's limited to Nvidia gpus, ATi is able to do useful work, But not on all projects as the projects all have their limits in terms of talent, equipment and funding. In any case It's time for Me to get some shut eye as I'm very sleepy now.

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

13. infekted.one

infekted.one What's a Dremel?

This site recommended a 1073w and minimum 1021w and I im using 850w thats got to be wrong!! :S

14. Flanananagan

Flanananagan What's a Dremel?

Last post: 26th May 2010, 11:48

Your post: Today, 09:45

Seriously?

15. infekted.one

infekted.one What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags