1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Should i get an iphone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 13eightyfour, 16 May 2010.

1. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Its coming up to new phone time, The LG cookie im using is quite frankly crap.

Now im looking at getting an iphone or similar, Having not used an i phone or any of the newer 'smartphones'. From what ive gathered whilst the iphone may not be the most technically advanced phone available, it is very good at what it does.

I dont want this to be an apple hate thread or fanboy comments, I just want genuine useful views.

My main uses are texting, voice calls, and checking mail whilst out and about.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

for checking mail, Blackberry?

don't buy an iPhone now, wait until the next one to come out in June, apparently will be really good.

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I moved from a blackberry storm to an iPhone and my only regret is not doing it sooner. I love the iphone, its everything you could ever want and more.

On another note.............why the name change?

4. 13eightyfour

Wuyanxu - i never even thought of blackberries will check them out aswell.

M7ck - Which i phone do you have? i was looking at a 3gs 16gb, but if the next gen is so close i might wait.

i had the name changed because i was trying to get all my accounts over various forums the same, basically i was starting to get confused with about 9 different accounts and passwords.

13eightyfour would be my date of birth 1/3/84 :thumb:

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I've got an iPhone and after I set it up I love it. My only gripe is the battery is absolutely awful, lasts 1 or 2 days after a charge. It's the only touch screen phone I've used that works well really.

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I recently bit the bullet and bought a 3GS 16GB model, and I don't regret it for a second. The ability to get internet on the go is just fantastic, I can catch up on House and other TV while I'm at work, I can listen to Internet radio when I'm jogging and the range of apps is staggering. I'm not an Apple diehard by any stretch of the imagination but the iPhone is brilliant. The above poster is right about the battery life though. BTW - posted this via my iPhone at work :D

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

If you have the money for an iPhone, go for it. The new Android phones are quite nice though..

If you don't want a phone so pricey, go for a Nokia 5800, I wholeheartedly recommend one.

Best thing you could do is have a look at comparative phones and see what they're like to use and which one takes your fancy.

8. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

The iPhone isn't the only smart phone out there, there are tons of options if you are looking for just internet access. Some competition does it better for cheaper too. If you want a phone that is great for screwing around and wasting time with. The iPhone wins hands down. But to be honest the price of screwing around is so expensive.

Every time im bored waiting for something. I feel regret not getting one. I settled for a windows mobile phone from HTC, it had full keyboard and a real GPS receiver as well as other functiona stuff but lacks games and millions of people making useless apps.

Its really a tradeoff between functionality and fun apps/games.

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Apparently android have a better community for apps. HTC have a couple of new android based phones. HTC Desire and Legend looks tempting.

10. SteveW-87

SteveW-87 I haz ur computer genitalia

Im thinking of going for an Iphone tomorrow, ive had the G1 with android on it and have had enough of it. its slow and half the apps on it are unstable

11. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

Don't forget the HTC EVO 4G as well but I'm not sure of the release date for the UK/Europe. I would trade my iPhone 3GS in a flash if it was available now.

12. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

iPhones are great, very intuitive (typing this on a 3gs right now!). Using Internet is very easy, lots of good apps, multi touch is great. I didn't own an iPod/mp3 player so the music and podcast are also a great feature for me.

The fact that apple force you to sync via iTunes is an irritation - i mAy look at an android or nokia when I upgrade in a yeAr for this reason, but I would say at the moment apple are still ahead.

13. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

Not true currently there are a lot more apps for iPhone.

This may change in a few years because apple make developers jump through hoops, but at the moment apple is ahead in this regard.

14. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

I'm thinking of going for a Motorola Milestone (Droid/Verizon Droid in the US) as an alternative to the iPhone. I'd suggest having a look at it, as I think the general consensus is that it beats iPhone in some areas, but loses in others, so it depends on your preferences.

15. 13eightyfour

i do like the look of the milestone, looks like ill have to get into the phone shop next week and have a play with iphone/htc and anything else that fits the bill.

The other thing is i always buy the phone outright, and use a sim only contract, which makes the iphone quite tempting as with o2 i get everything i want/need for £20 a month. But its the same for all smart phones.

Last edited: 16 May 2010
  16. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

If you do, don't even think about the X6. I got one in at work the other day, and everybody agreed that it looked good. As soon as they tried to hold it in their hand, however, everybody were shocked over how horribly bad it felt in regards to build quality. It felt like a toy phone.

Don't take my post out of context, please. I was referring to what Rofl_Waffle said, and was comparing it to Windows mobile, not Iphone. Also, I wasn't talking about the number of apps available, I was referring about the developing community. Android seems to be a better platform simply because it's more open. Keep in mind that Iphone have been around for ages (In technology-time)

17. SteveW-87

SteveW-87 I haz ur computer genitalia

Watch out for some of the apps on the android market. i was using an IM on one of them and it ended up bricking my phone

18. oggie

oggie What's a Dremel?

Have a look at HTC Desire, its cheaper then iPhone. I have one and my mate from work loves it, he has iPhone but after playing with Desire he is thinking about getting it.

19. Tranquillise

Tranquillise What's a Dremel?

I have an iPhone and although it is nice to use I still feel limited by how locked down it is. TBH its a chore jailbreaking the phone. I would go Android or hold out for Win Mo 7 which is what I'll be doing next. I got the wife a Blackberry and she loves it, takes a little getting used to but for email and chat it's unsurpassed.

20. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

I have an iphone 3G (contract has just ran out so waiting on the 4th gen to upgrade), and really do like it it does everything I need very well my only problem as others have mentioned is the battery life.

Depending on what you want to do and if you can find good apps for it then go for it when the new version comes out, no point getting a 3GS for it to be replaced in the next month or two