1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD says Fusion CPU and GPU will ship this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 15 May 2010.

1. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

most probably, llano will cost less to build ultimately, apple will then be able to either sell their systems at the same price as their offerings today and still maintain the same (or a bit better improvement from their current integrated graphics solutions) or sell them much more expensive because its new. lol, dont worry it will be "awesome" though.

2. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Hang on, this is just more AMD hot air and white noise about nothing

"if you look at the history of AMD, when we came out with dual-core processors, we built a true dual-core processor. When we came out with quad-cores, we built a true quad-core processor. What our competitors did was an MCM solution – taking two chips and gluing them together"

And that little glue job from Intel kicked your ass so bad, you still haven't recovered from it. Q6600 anyone?

I'll take notice when Bit-Tech get their hands on it and give us the REAL deal instead the AMD BS PR machine.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You just love banging on AMD don't you? I'll admit their performance isn't up to par anymore, but they're still doing something, although not enough to be honest.

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Yea, Pentium D's worked really well

5. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Probably, but netbooks could also use a different chip, the architecture codenamed "Bobcat", and will debut with the Ontario core (they say 1H 2011, but...?). It is a smaller, lighter CPU in the <1-10W class for UMPCs, handhelds and tablets, set-top boxes and all the way up to netbooks, basically an Atom competitor. You might get Atom-like performance with a battery life of 12+ hours.

I'd prefer Llano, TBH.

I think we can all agree that it is a load of marketing-speak that means little. Thanks for pointing it out or I might have missed it and been taken in by AMD's lying PR!!

Only, they are technically correct, aren't they. :) And as we have all learnt from Bureaucrat 1.0 from Futurama, technically is the best kind of correct.

Last edited: 17 May 2010
  6. crazyceo

but when it comes to Futurama, I only follow one law......and that's "Brannigan's Law!"

7. streamcomputing

streamcomputing What's a Dremel?

8. alpha0ne23

alpha0ne23 What's a Dremel?

I've been waiting for this for too long now and its getting hard not to look @ an Intel m-itx solution using the h55 chipset and i3 CPU

Please hurry AMD

9. crazyceo

I had to build a rig from scratch last month and was about to use the Bit-Tech budget build as the basis. This currently and has for a few months used the Athlon II X2 250 and a 770-C45 board. However when I checked the CustomPC guide it showed the i3-530 and the H55M-UD2H. When I priced it up from a number of sources the i3 option only added an extra £54 to the build but offered so much more in performance.

Now the anti-AMD in me was in a bit of a pickle. Do I put my tail between my legs and go and stand in the naughty corner and buy the 250 and C45 combo or go for the new kid on the block i3 - H55M?

Trust me it wasn't an easy decision to make but the blue colours just tilted it in their favour.

Will Fusion make a difference to that decision in future?

Well nothing above or when it was stated first a few months back will change my thinking until we have REAL independent benchtests from Bit-Tech.

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Question is, if this takes off in a big way, could we see Apple moving to AMD in their Macbooks?

11. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Perhaps, perhaps not.

SJ's reality distortion field is screwing with my prediction abilities.

12. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

This looks promising, look forward to seeing some reviews soon

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

To quote myself

Source

Finally found the article =) Guess that means Apple have had access to AMD's road maps and future plans beyond what we know. Lets hope they keep it as safe as their prototype iphone 4G's

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

One day you're going to realize the irony of complaining about AMD propaganda. Which company dumps millions into spewing out commercials to trick people into buying Celerons?

The fact is that Intel was not able to engineer an architecture capable of being a single chip multi-core solution until some time later. AMD has some bright engineers and is proud of their forward thinking and dedication to creating a complete solution rather than a quick fix. A year from now Intel's probably going to be waving around their own single chip solution, AMD's just getting their time to shine until then.

This news also makes me excited for my dreams of a mini-ITX machine, portable desktop light gaming machine Cheesecake! Some extra performance over current solutions would be welcome.

15. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

You mean you do it hard and fast?
    I am more the technical type who pays attention to the details. To each his own!

The Fusion graphics core is based on the HD5000-series (Evergreen) and the specification rumours are suggesting that it will have 400 stream processors. Based on this and nothing else (it could be anything. Remember AMD sandbagging the specs on the HD48xx before release?), this would put the performance at a similar level to the HD5600 discrete graphics card. Do you think Intel will have anything close to this in the near future?

If you are already eyeing an i3/H55 setup, then you aren't going to wait for Llano. AMD has already released the Llano schedule: Engineering Samples to partners now, full production Q4 2010, availability Q1 2011. Can you wait that long?

16. crazyceo

Well the irony here is that AMD are shouting from the rooftops their so called excellence at not doing "a quick fix!" by then DOING "a quick fix!" on their Opteron 6174, just to get there first! which is their most expensive product line. So why is it ok there to allow the, what did someone else say "drrrrraaaaaaggggggggggg ug ug ug ug" here but Intel can't for their older chips which despite having that "drrrrraaaaaaggggggggggg ug ug ug ug" still hammered the competition (used lightly).

As to the marketing of Intels Celeron range, what about AMD's complete Phenom II/Athlon II/Turion II range which has left AMD with no control over any market place in the industry. Hang on, hasn't that all just been put under the "Marketing" BS of AMD VISION, VISION Premium, VISION Ultimate, VISION Black. Looks like with all that lack of real vision they should have gone to specsavers!

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That's not exactly a hidden scandal, the article even admits the Opteron 6174 was a slap-together fix. The difference being that it's a slap-together 12 core versus no other 12 core. In all other cases one party has had an MCM solution while the other has had a single chip solution. If Intel throw out a single chip 12 core then they will lay claim to the crown for 12 cores instead.

For Vision, congratz, they're now catching up to the level that Intel's been at for years, a small badge is pretty mild and nothing worse than, say, the i3,5,7 series badges. Does Average Joe know what it means? No, but bigger numbers are good! Just like Vision's labelling which seems to be taking a note from gas stations (Vision aka 82 Octane, Vision Premium aka 86 Octane, Vision Ultimage 91 Octane :lol:)

18. alpha0ne23

alpha0ne23 What's a Dremel?

Not wanting to sound like an AMD apologist but I can tell you with all seriousness that 95% of ppl would not know the difference if they are using an Athlon x2 240 or an Intel i7 960 :eyebrow:

Even 'lowly' Athlon/Phenom cores offer more than enough performance to satisfy whatever 95% of ppl throw at them, we dont all spend hours in front of a screen torturing err I mean benching.........well at least not any more :D

19. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

You can use statistics to prove anything. 40% of all people know that. :)

Tags: Add Tags