1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Should i get an iphone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 13eightyfour, 16 May 2010.

1. SteveW-87

SteveW-87 I haz ur computer genitalia

You see im a little apprehensive about this.... there have been no proper announcements about it and its meant to cost an arm, a leg AND a toe isnt it?

Not sure if ill wait for that tbh...

2. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

There have been no actual announcements yes... but that's just the way Apple operates, we know there is a new one coming this summer because apple work to a release schedule and the ones that have been seen (/stolen/bought by gizmodo) show that its pretty complete and the hardware side of things looks good to go.

TBH if your in the UK the contract plans are all the same regardless of model and it shouldn't cost more as I got a 16gb 3G pretty soon after they came out and you can currently get the nearly year old 3GS (16gb) for the same price as I paid (£170ish). When the new one comes out it will mean the 3GS will become cheaper but at least with o2 (who I'm with) the pricing structure seems to have been the same for the last 2 years.

edit: post 100 :D

3. SteveW-87

SteveW-87 I haz ur computer genitalia

Im unsure what to do, i will be getting an iphone but its just the case of if its worth waiting.

I have been tempted to go for the slightly cheaper option and get a refurbed one from o2 anyway...

4. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

Well if you are worried about how much it will cost wait the 1-2 months the new one will come out and the 3GS will drop in price and you still have a very good smartphone for less than you would pay right now.

5. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I'm in the same boat tbh. I've jailbroken my phone now to try and get some extra functionality out of it (and that has really fixed alot of my major gripes with the phone ie tethering, background apps, switchbar, changable backgrounds etc) but im still in the situation where the speed of the 3G model frustrates me. Hence I'm waiting for the 4G. I've looked at others, Nokia X6, Sony X10, HTC Everything Under The Sun, Blackberry... Nothing quite does it.

Something to beware of though. I reckon, once you've gone iPhone, there isn't really any going back. Once you've spend money on apps, organised all your music into itunes etc, it seems stupid to swap to another manufacturer. Sorta mentally traps you in. just my 2c

6. badman_mo007

badman_mo007 What's a Dremel?

Im waiting to upgrade to the new iphone also, id say the iphone touchscreen is the best and you wont get better accuracy than it.
    Although the only let down id say is the screen res and quality, which is weak compared to the likes of HTC desire. I wish they'd make their screens bigger and get rid of the excess black bezel above and below... surly one push button dont need all that space lol
    The new iphone will have higher res but will be pretty much the same size as the older models.

The best thing would be to wait and test them all see what you're comfortable with.

7. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I am pretty pleased with my Iphone, has good functionality and it is fast, I am not particularly a huge apple fan either, so it says a lot for me to buy their product :D.

But you could wait for the new Iphone due out soon or possibly try one of the Andriod variants, that is what i will be going for next

8. computerman5

computerman5 What's a Dremel?

there are so many choice, i think you must consider it .

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

personally id have a look at android and keep an eye on windows 7 mobile if you can wait a year or so but it does look promising

10. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

Decide a price point first. If your price point's the same as the iPhone, there are other phones available that do a good job of providing email and other stuff. The HTC Desire and Legend are both cheaper and very competitive with the iPhone. If email's your priority, you should also consider a Blackberry. If you do decide on the iPhone though, I would suggest you wait around a month or so for the 4.0 version to come out, which supports multi-tasking and other features as well.
    And when you do buy a smart phone, make sure you check out pcpro's list of 100 best apps for smartphones. There are some extremely useful apps on there which make the phone so much more valuable in the long run.

11. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

I'm not a fan of apple products. To me they are overpriced and overhyped (and I hate their OS).
    Having said that I love my iPhone 3GS. Having internet in your pocket is great.
    You have movies, music and photos. Most applications are crap (like 95% of them), but there are few usefull ones.
    Sure it lacks few things, although next gen will fix most of these.

My opinion - wait for next gen and get one.

12. Lee @ Scan

Lee @ Scan Scan Computers

It's up to you, but I'm jumping from an iphone 2G to a HTC Desire shortly :)

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Samsung Galaxy S would (and will) be my choice. Looks pretty epic.

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

The problem with samsung phones, for me at least is that all the sammy phones ive had have failed within months of having them, most recently a tocco, before i got the cookie im now using.

Ive narrowed it down to the iphone or desire, but with all the talk the next iphone just around the corner, i think i might have to wait :sigh:

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you don't want Samsung I'd definitely wait for the 4G iPhone, it looks very swish indeed.

16. simonsullivan1

simonsullivan1 New to this

I've had an iPhone for about 3 Months now and I have to admit, it really is a great bit of kit. If you have a googlemail account then you can sink your emails with 'push' and you can also sunc google calendar as well. I have Thunderbird on my work desktop and have added the new calender add-on, I know have all three calendars syncing and updating each other automatically.

I love the way in which the text message conversations are all kept together and that you can delete certain parts of the conversation.

The only downside is how quickly the battery dies on it. I have wireless and 3G enabled continuously so it will last a couple of days before needing a recharge.

Might be worth waiting though until the new version is released though.

As for other brands, I can't comment from personal experience but a lad I work with was changing his phone every three seconds, had HTC, LG and Samsung but has now settled on the iPhone and says its the best phone he's ever had.

17. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

im currently running a htc hero and i love it to be honest, the touchscreen works great and it runs pretty smoothly for its hardware specs. I would personally go with a android phone but that is me and i dont really care for apple stuff due to being required to use itunes. Android phones also have great email and chat clients available that work with just about all messengers.

18. LJF

LJF Modded

I have the Moto Milestone. It's a cracking piece of kit. It's currently running android 2.1 and should, eventually be running 2.2. The operating system is getting more and more refined but it still allows far more freedom than you'd get on an iPhone.
    Regarding apps, the quality and quantity is increasing and a lot are free due to ad support.
    And battery life... I have to charge it every night, but thats because im always using it. If i could ever leave it alone and stop playing with it im sure it would last far longer!

19. Nodule

Nodule What's a Dremel?

Really? This is the first time I've heard any mention of such a thing happening. Can you expand on the details - what phone, what app, how precisely was it bricked. As far as Iknow, frequenting several android forums, you are the first person to encounter this. Only instances of bricking tend to be failed roots.

20. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

i dont think ive seen any reports of an app bricking a android phone. Like Nodule said most bricking occurs when you root the phone or flash a radio on it. I have done both to my phone with no problems. You may want to try and reflash your phone with the stock ruu from your carrier and see if it works. Afaik most androids if not all come with a bootloader that will let you flash before the os boots. Before i go and derail this thread pm me if you need any help. :thumb: