1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Graphics Card Coolers Investigated

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I miss the Prolimatech MK-13 in this review.

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

seems GPU cooling has a long long way to go
    hope the Coolit Eco or Corsair H50 do versions soon that cool both gpu and cpu

4. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

Hm...that was always a hard word to spell in my books, but I reckon it's spelt as cinch, when I first see sync, I mentally pronounce sink.

Last edited: 19 May 2010
  5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

What happened to the Setsugen?

6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

This couldn't have come at a better time, as I'm looking to quieten a folding rig I'm working on. Vortexx Neo it is!

7. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

So wait...for HSFs that don't provide a sink for VRMs...did you just leave them bare?

But they said at the start of the review:

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

No Zalman coolers?
    I've been a bit disappointed with my VF1000 fitted to a 8800GT, since it started getting a bit warmer I started getting crashes in games. All I had to do was turn up the speed of one of the internal fans, but it's changed my rig from being almost silent, to quite noisy.

It wasn't until I read
    that I remembered that the fan on the graphics cooler is plugged into the motherboard...
    DOH!
    Because the CPU is water cooled, of course the motherboard will be throttling all the fans, because it thinks it's nice and cool, while the graphics card overheats enough to crash.
    Now I feel like an idiot :(

9. Invectus

Invectus What's a Dremel?

would be intressting having a sapphire vapor-X as reference to this review. Since it comes with a upgraded cooling unit

10. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Still feel that for maximum effectiveness we all should start attaching CPU towers to GPUs.

11. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Am also shocked no Zalman coolers were reviewed - the GV1000 kept my 4870 nice and cool and quiet. The only comparisons I have to it though are the stock Gigabyte/Zalman cooler that was a 2pin and on 100% all the time (noisy!) and watercooling.

What I do know is it was easy to install and came with RAMSinks.

12. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Agreed - I thought it didn't look right when I was reading it!

13. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

except you cant buy them separately.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've used a T-RAD2 for over a year now on my 4850... Im more than happy with it, with a low speed 12cm Yate Loon on it, its far quieter than the stock cooler, and far cooler as well.

Well worth the £30 I payed for it.

15. Skippylee

Skippylee Now then!

I work for a company who sells Scythe products and apparently there were some compatibility issues with the Setsugen, which is why it went EOL. Scythe say a new version is to be release in the near future.

16. phantombudgie

phantombudgie What's a Dremel?

The stock cooler on my (admitedly low-end) HD4650 was insanely loud and not very effective. I replaced it with the Accelero S2 passive heatsink (looks identical to the S1).

It was quite tricky to fit, and the instructions are nearly useless, but now it's on the new cooler is silent and works fr more effectively than the stock one, even without any fans on the heatsink.

@barndoor101: I think they should compare the data to a Vapor-X card, because they're usually cheaper than buying a normal one plus your own 3rd party cooler. If the Vapor-X kicks all of these solutions here and you don't have to fit it yourself, then that would be the way to go.

17. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Why is a £50 air cooler considered expensive, when nobody bats an eyelid at £65 waterblocks!?

18. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

I'm using an Artic Cooler Twin Turbo (not pro) for my overclocked HD4870, it lowered the temperature by 15°C on load, and 10°C on idle. It was a breeze to install, and the only problem I had was my own fault, my card was not reference design, so the VRAM coolers didn't fit. I had to file off the stock cooler so it would fit. It would also appear my pin was a 2-pin while I needed a 3-pin, so I had to replace that too.

It's run perfectly fine under heavy furmark benches, so I seriously don't get where the trouble is coming from.

19. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

When is watercooling cheap?

20. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

I think it's more like, you're paying so much for mediocre performance, if you pay a little more, you might as well have it watercooled, which yields much better performance. Of course, this is just for the waterblock, not the entire setup, but it's a good comparison.

Tags: Add Tags