1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Akasa Venom CPU Cooler Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Curious that they throw this out so soon after the Nero S. And I completely agree with the TIM comment. From Akasa, that's shocking.

3. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

ugh, did they have to make the fan illuminescent yellow??? /facepalm

4. Molajoku

Molajoku What's a Dremel?

Would it be possible to overlay a noise level indicator for each temperature on each of the cooler?

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Is it just me or is this all a bit too much like deja vu? So many CPU coolers being released, tested and they all look pretty much the same (apart from various colour schemes), they all perform virtually the same (within a couple degrees of each other), and they all cost about the same too. It's been so long since an article actually seemed... well... new. It's almost as if it's just the item details get changed and thats about it. Oh well....

6. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

I agree with SchizoFrog here. It seems most of these coolers are pretty much the same as far as i can tell.
    I think new colour schemes are a good thing though. You dont want to show your computer off to your mates if you all got the same looking thing are you?
    Perhaps a newer design is needed rather than just these 4 pipes and horizontal fins all the time... Surely there must be a more efficient method of cooling via air?
    Either way, i prefer a loud and noisy cooler - if it knocks of a heck of a lot off the reference cooler, and even the competition.

7. Tanacel

Tanacel What's a Dremel?

I'm with the other guys - have they all blown the R&D budget for this year and are just kicking out the same coolers? But then again the liquid metal cooling system recently reviewed on Bit Tech didn't live up to its potential awesomeness.

Is it like Hard Drives, that until someone comes up with the SSD of coolers, they'll just get minor increases and no major leaps forward?

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Intel needs to do something, like what they did with the X25-M.

Then again, Intel bundles extruded crap with their CPU's. >.>

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

True, but considering that OEM Processors are usually only a couple of £'s cheaper and in some cases more expensive than the retail version (my CPU was cheaper from the same etailer as retail than OEM version when I bought it) you can't really complain about the bundled retail coolers as they do get the job done and can be pretty much counted as a freebie.

My issue is not totally with the manufacturers though, Surely Bit-Tech knows and understands that these coolers are going to almost the same as each other and could have saved time and boredom by doing a group test/review and just get it over with, rather than pushing out generic articles.

10. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

I think this article just helps the consumer realise that Brand doesn't matter. The importance is the design of the cooler (number of heat pipes and performance of HDT on each socket).

I have a s1283 and absolutely hate the rubber pin fan holders. Can't they come up with something that is easier to take on and off whilst give good performance?

11. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Nice fan, still doesn't put me off my custom Thermalright 120-Ultra with two Akasa Apache's, even if it will cost me £70 :p

My main question for these companies is when are we going to see more dual fan coolers for us nutters?

12. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

There are already tri fan nutters.

13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Check out the Danamics LMX we reviewed last week - slot loading 120mm fans of amazingness.

14. somewhereoveryonda

somewhereoveryonda You'll never know when to buy!

May be they're all getting similar performance because the product is reaching its maximum performance. I like the idea of these all in one liquid systems that are in development.. shame they aren't more effective. Manufacturers need to look outside the box more.. The present coolers use the same technology as fridges do for god sake!

15. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Although I'm not a big fan of plastic shrouds, a well designed brace like that would be great. It doesn't need to surround the whole cooler like some sort of Behemoth that is the DMX.

I can only dream/cry eh? :waah:

16. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

How about some reviews on a few of the Coolermaster cpu coolers- they have some crazy designs that are definately not just generic looking things that we've all started to get borewd of lately. I think Im gonna opt for the Tranquilo myself when I replace my stock cooler- cheap and does a good job :)

17. Arj12

Arj12 What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I'm wondering how this cooler stacks up to the akasa freedom cooler?

18. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Somebody forgot to put the last rubber pin holder in place in the pics where both fans are attached ^_^

19. bw67958

bw67958 What's a Dremel?

I'm sticking with my coarsair h50!

20. Sgt.Bilko

Sgt.Bilko What's a Dremel?

Hey there, I know it's a bit late, but I'm new to this site. I'm interested in what happened to the Noctua results, the Noctua NH-U12P & the Noctua NH-U12P SE were mentioned but i can't see them in the charts.
    Also why not put an air cooler up against the beast of burden that is the Noctua NH-D14. I'm sure it was around when this review was made.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Noctua fan, i'm quite indifferent. I just want to see how well this Akasa cooler would do up against some stiff competition.
    PS. I like this site, so I'll keep reading the reviews & articles.

Tags: Add Tags