1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your job, is it worth it!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Mr Happy, 31 Mar 2010.

1. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Been in police 9 years in July. At end of day, I may have been harsh on my profession, but If I really didn't like it I would have quit years ago so it can't be that bad.

2. samuraiweasel

samuraiweasel What's a Dremel?

Jobs : IT for School/Office + Freelance Computer Fixing
    Wage : INR 84000/yr
    Worth it : Not really but since im only 21 and in the middle of nowhere, its the best im ging to get for now, hoping to upgrade to 3D architectural modeler/design.

rici1241 likes this.
  3. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

That is true! If you like what you do and if you are good at it why do something different eh?

4. stivalmighty

stivalmighty What's a Dremel?

No, I get £8 for delivering 340 papers a week :( better than nothing tho?

5. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Job: Business student university
    Wage: 30 000 DKK / 3500 GBP
    Worth it: As far as now yes

AND

Job: Waiter part time
    Wage: 30 - 45000 DKK / 3500-5200 GBP
    Worth it: Yes I enjoy it and have done it for quite a few years

however you should consider the 46 % tax i pay

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm a professional writer and reviewer. Writing I get paid for, reviewing I don't (kinda like it that way, no thought of bias that way) and I'm working into releasing my first game (and I hope that will pay.)

Pay is rather unremarkable, but be assured you've seen me in print. I do kinda like that.

Otherwise, I'm courting disability (and bankruptcy, but that's another issue altogether) so I may have altogether less to worry about soon.

7. olimorgan

olimorgan What's a Dremel?

Job: F1 Doctor
    Wage: ~ £22,000 (enough to live on but have got £50k of debt to pay off)
    Max: ~ £150,000-200,000
    Is it worth it: Usually yes but after a particularly grueling week of nights on call I might be tempted to say no.

8. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Title Change: Assistant Buyer & Change Program Project Manager

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Title change. Officially disabled. Another accident finally ruined my left arm. Paperwork starts today.

10. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

Job: National Securities Clearing Associate (provided by NYSE)
    Wage: $40,000, maxes at $60,000
    Worth it: Absolutely not, boring as all hell and the pay sucks for the amount of responsibility. Considering its roughly the same job as the guy at Citigroup who allegedly fat fingered a million dollar trade.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Crap. :sigh: Sorry to hear that...

12. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Between roles - Account Manager / Business Development for Cold-storage and distribution
    Salary atm - £16,500 (I get good discount)
    Max - the harder I work the more I'll bet

Not a job I'd have thought about, landed in it by mistake, as much as it stresses me more that anything I'm bloody good at at and I like it

13. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Job: Senior IT Engineer
    Salary: 36-40k
    Worth It: Beginning to think not, stressfull, lots of responsibilities etc, but it pays the bills...

...or it did. Am currently on long term sick leave due to the operation in my avatar :(

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Job: Senior Process Engineer (Chemistry/Semiconductors)
    Salary: about 25-30K netto in Pounds

Worth it: meh...pay is good I guess, but I'm at the end of my scale, so no rising from here. It's an easy job though...maybe too easy. Lots of red tape though.

For the engineering students out there:
    Thats with two engineering degrees and ten years experience in semiconductor manufacturing / process engineering. Go figure, don't work in east germany :D

Oh good, my 1000th post is a whiner :sigh: ehmmm yeah! Life's Great! :D

15. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Job: Contractor
    Pay: $25k-$45k
    Is it worth it? No. 3yr contract with no renewal and no benefits.

16. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Job: Gas Turbine Performance Engineer
    Pay: ~£28K
    Is it worth it? ...Yes. You'll definately have heard of my company, but no, I don't get a company car. I joined as a graduate a couple of years ago and after 18 months of short placements have take up my long term role. In short, I specify hardware and running schedules for engine tests, then analyse the results afterwards. I really enjoy it because it's something I found interesting, I wanted to work with jet engines before I went to uni. The pay and benefits aren't amazing, I work hard for no overtime, but the intangibles are good; I've basically got a career for life now, doing something I want to do.

17. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Job: Physics student
    Pay: Less than nothing
    Is It Worth It? Absolutely. If you keep it up you can get anywhere in physics you want, if you don't you could get various jobs elsewhere (in the banking sector) - plus it's interesting.

18. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Job Title Mathematics and Computer Science joint honours student
    Wage Standard really (i.e. minus £5000-odd ^^)
    Worth it Looking back I wouldn't have done the mathematics component (I initially started doing a straight maths degree then changed at the end of my 1st year to the joint honours scheme) since I dislike stats and mechanics (two main branches of maths), and I'm not a big fan of pure maths either :hehe:

But having said that, changing to the joint honours scheme has been great for me since I love programming and I feel I'm learning more skills (team working skills, report writing, presentation stuff, etc) than I ever would with a straight maths degree.* Plus changing to do less maths is a good change, and I kind of enjoy the maths a bit more too as a result.

So yeah, I think it's worth it. At the end of the day, if you come out of University having learnt something useful and have a better understanding of what you want to do in the future (for me: ultimately being self employed, although something programming-based perhaps using a bit of maths is fine for me at first) then it's worth it IMO.

* All my friends who do maths are sociable and normal etc, although the majority of my maths lecturers are somewhat... erm... unsociable and a bit weird (as one of my lecturers once said: "How do you know if a mathematician is an introvert or extrovert? If they are an extrovert they'll look at your shoes when talking to you!" :hehe: ) and that - coupled with sometimes poor lecturing - has kind of put me off wanting to pursue maths in any sizeable manner.

19. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

It wasn't, so I quit. The joys of being a student.

20. deadlyavenger

deadlyavenger What's a Dremel?

I'm about to graduate and I've just applied for their graduate program, one of my coursemates has definitely got a place with them if he gets a 2.1. I'm hoping for a 1st, hoping they'll at least invite me down for the assessment centre :)

My current Job status:
    Job: MEng Mechatronics Undergraduate / Self-Employed PHP/MySQL Programmer
    Wage: -£3.5k a year as a student, working on a rate of about £15-25 per hour freelance on part time hours
    Is it worth it? Being a student at Uni has definitely been the best time of my life so far. Didn't know what I wanted to do when I finished school except engineering - but I know what I want to do now. Finish my degree on Wednesday :D As for the freelance stuff - it's Ok, I like the money but I wouldn't want to do it full-time. I'd much rather be in engineering.