1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel to launch new unlocked CPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 21 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

should that be i3-535K?

3. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Yup.

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

As you say they've chosen the wrong models on their existing portfolio to unlock!

6. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

A 530 with unlocked multi would be a winner thats for sure.

These chips are better than their standard counterparts but it all comes down to pricing on if they will be popular or not.

7. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

They chose the ones that aren't selling as well as they'd like. So they're offering them unlocked to get the money flowing :)

8. dec

dec [blank space]

AMD fanboy - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Intel fanboy - WANT.

Why on earth did they think it was a good idea for these CPU's (870 and 650) to get the unlock version? If they wanted to chase AMD out of the market then unlock 750's and sell them for $150.

9. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

I think the E6500K back in the time was a trial before global market release of current chips?

Anyway, Bit-Tech need to grab whenever they can the first one of these, and see how the i5-655k competes overclock to the favourite i5-750, Somehow i think it will provide a little more overclocking to those serious about all things O.C.

10. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

They can stick their K series CPU right up their chuffs!

Ive spent enough money on building my rig with an i5 750 and have zero complaints. I dont like the way Intel seem to not so much 'bully' the customer, but more of 'making our own product a little more attractive' - like 6 months down the road after everyone has spent out already changing to a new socket etc and for what gains?

Complete enthusiasts yeah but i cant see anyone already owning the standard chip upgrading to essentailly the same chip with the unlocked multiplyer - but your average Bob from the high street wants bang for buck when new products are released because thats the time when you ( the average PC nut ) will buy them.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Dear Intel,

May I have an unlocked i7 920 for <£180 please?

12. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

isn't asking about £400 for an i7-870 a little bit steep, come on, 930 retail for less and you get more. I know the boards are more expensive but £400 for that? jebas have mercy

13. rollo

rollo Modder

intel is the apple of the cpu world.

every 6months expect to upgrade if you want to stay on the top

but pc hardware has always been this way. the dif between the normal and k series may just be more than an unlocked multiplier. If al these chips overclock harder than there normal counter parts then you never know.

14. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I'm a bit diasppointed frankly. The 870 i have (thank you Asus! :D) is running at 175x24 for a total of 4,2GHz on very reasonable voltages. I can't imagine why you'd want a higher multi then that aside from extreme OCing, and the LN2 e-peen boys get entirely too much attention from companies IMHO.

An i5-755K or even better, a 32nm version of the i5-750 on the other hand... oh well, another release i can skip, i guess it saves me some cash :D

15. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Well I just upgraded an ancient 939 Athlon X2 to an i3 530 and I've got no complaints. It is always a bit annoying when you buy kit and new stuff comes out or is just on the horizon, but that's the way it always is. If you always wait for the next iteration then you'll never end up getting anything.

I think this is a step in the right direction for Intel. Provided they don't really overprice the new chips (although that's pretty much a given for the i7 one) they could be an awesome upgrade for those looking to go for it. As for Intel making an unlocked i3, that wouldn't really make sense since the i3 is supposed to be the budget chip. It would be nice, though.

16. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Unless they actually overclock further than that standard CPU I can't see the point. Sure unlocked multipliers are easy to overclock, but it's not hard to do it with the QPI either. They need to have a higher limit to be worth any extra cash.

17. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Intel are getting into such a mess with their branding that people are going to get so confused that they'll stick with what they know, It's all sub branding. They need to get some sort of order going so every ones got at least half an idea of whats ,what.

18. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Well, being American I wouldn't know about the GBP, but I really would go for a K edition LGA1366 part. Big time.

Speaking of, that's one of my big pet peeves, this whole "some i7's are LGA1366 and some are LGA1156" BS. Why can't they keep their branding simple and consistent?

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

ohhhhh very nice !

The black edition of my X3 is the main reason why I went to AMD (okay that's totally not true as they didn't exist when I first bought my board but allow me to pretend). I personally prefer easy, cheap overclocks (ram wise) over hardcore and pain in the ass ones

Hopefully bt will review these soon and the results will be terrible... otherwise I will have a hard time stopping myself from trying it. (must.fight.urge.to.constantly.upgrade)

20. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Hah. Keep me in mind if you do, I need to replace my s939 setup, but don't have the money. :wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags