1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google releases open-source WebM codec

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 May 2010.

1. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

MPEG-LA is formed by some of the biggest and most influential companies in software and hardware markets. I'm fairly sure they are not the ones who will make FUD statements and not back them up.

Notice how Google didn't indemnify VP8 users, or even claim VP8 was patent-free? It was also found from looking at the VP8 source that it had striking similarities with H.264, making it a prime target for patents in possession by the MPEG-LA patent pool.

2. SinnerG

SinnerG What's a Dremel?

I wasn't dissing google for being pushy, what I was kind of getting at was that the discussion for supported codec for html5 was still up in the air and to push the issue google pushed vp8/webm out there.

Well, after having a look at some sample between a 2Mbit H.264 and a VP8 I am really impressed. The H.264 sample was patchy/blocky compared to the smooth VP8 encoding. Although I did sense alot of smoothing was happening with VP8, the final result was so much easier on the eyes, especially at those bitrates. Given a "normal" H.264 bitrate for home media of around 8Mbit I am dying to see a VP8 HD movie.

I'm game for playing with this. Can anyone suggest a good directshow-based trancoding tool? I've installed the webm codecs and my normal array of tools are all loaded with their own codecs.

3. SinnerG

SinnerG What's a Dremel?

Oh, and I'm game for anything that gets rid of flash movies. :D

4. SinnerG

SinnerG What's a Dremel?

5. Toonook

Toonook Stewie rules

So no flash soon then?? Good news if it is . I use my iPod touch so much and flash is a pain in the a**

6. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

One of those companies is Microsoft. Microsoft is the master of FUD - indeed they created the whole industry of dissing your competitors without any substance. They've been FUDing Linux for years now and this latest (h.264) brain damage is no different. MS have been wailing about how linux 'violates their patents', yet they've consistently failed to identify which patents they're talking about. People got so sick of hearing this crap from MS that it largely goes ignored. Canonical and Red Hat have both given MS the two fingers and said 'sue us' and yet MS hasn't done anything about it.

It's the same old FUD, just a different target.

Who says the MPEG-LA's 'patents' are valid in the first place? As SCO have learned the hard way (and no prizes for guessing who bankrolled SCO's claim again UNIX) claiming something violates your patents and having a Court uphold that claim are two entirely different things. Or in other words (to quote the maxim): substance talks, ******** walks.

I expect the MPEG-LA will continue to trot out this 'patent violation' drivel in ever increasing desperate attempts to stop developers going with VP8. They tried to do it with Ogg Theora but now, all of a sudden, Google announces VP8 and Jobs and co are, like, 'oh noes, our Ogg Theora FUD is useless now, weez got to goes after VP8 because its free and everyone will use it because they don't have to pay us royalties'.

So bloody what. Do you think they should indemnify every man and his dog who decides to use it? That's ridiculous and no one would ever do it. And Google is on record as stating they are very confident VP8 is patent free.

Good point. Maybe Google should be going after MPEG-LA for violation of VP8's patents. In fact, maybe we should all be shouting from the rooftops that both VP8 and MPEG-LA violate some patent that we've never disclosed save to claim that we have actually got one. "Look here. I've got this 'patent pool' that I'm not going to be anymore specific about but I'm going to try and convince you and any gullible bystander that my claims have some substance without actually explaining why"

Don't get me wrong, Elledan, I'm not being personal. It's just that I see this ******** from industry players time and time again and people fall for it, time and time again. People also fail to appreciate the biggest 'F**k Off' fact of them all: software patents don't exist outside of the US. So all this bollocks is about some turf war going on in the US. Let them sort it out - and their shitty patent system - by themselves.

We should not be being used as a mouthpiece for patent trolls to spread their FUD.

Last edited: 24 May 2010
  7. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Oh, I completely agree :) I didn't start the Wild Fox project for no good reason :D

Tags: Add Tags