1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming How Much Should DLC Cost?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 May 2010.

1. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Like everibody, It depends of what is the content. When it is really adding something to the game and not breaking the online community (DLC for a online multiplayer game are really a mess either you can't acces server because you don't have it either server can't put it because player don't have the DLC) I in this case you can, put a reasonnable price on it.

But a new skin is not really something that should be selled.

The DLC must be something develloped after seing the game has a communauty in terest in some extra.For exemple when in some game the DLC in already on the DVD when it is sold for the first times it is not normal.

2. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE

Ok if were talking about a few multiplayer maps or guns,a new suit of armour or even some nice shiny horse outfit it just give some devs a chance to rip us off and them moan that piracy is killing our industry.

If its genuinly new content that adds replay to the game and not some lame crap a fair price is fine. Oh and then they go relase more DLC, why not just wait and treat your customers release it all at one for the fair price?

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Development of DLC is fine with me so long as it doesn't detract from development of the actual game or any expansions.

Some of it is over-priced though. But then again it's a subjective thing. I really enjoyed the Kasumi DLC for Mass Effect 2, and don't regret buying it, but some people thought it was a waste of money.

No one is forcing us to buy DLC. So time will tell how effective it is.

4. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

How about big O. Majority of the games obscenely overpriced.

5. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Are they though? When I was buying Megadrive games back in the early 90's, they were £40-£45. With inflation pushing the cost of everything up around 2% per year or more, they should be well over that by now. Yes they sell more of them than they used to, but they cost a lot more to make now too...

6. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Megadrive games did indeed have crazy prices. I remember the launch price for Sonic 3 was £60!

7. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

DLC's that are obviously stuff cut out from the game just to have DLC's should cost $0.

DLC's that have been toiled on with love and labour should cost more than $0.

8. SweatyRod

SweatyRod Bah! Boh!

Personally,the only DLC I tend to purchase is online multiplayer DLC,for example the recent Call of Duty MW2 Map Pack,which was priced at around £10,but the amount of time you spend on those maps more than makes up for it.

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I didn't buy the Borderlands DLC, I thought it was overpriced, and haven't been back in the game since it was released.

However, SC: Conviction has in-game DLC (via Uplay) that you get from Uplay points, by playing games released by Ubisoft. Works great, and I'd probably pay (minimal, <£2 type amounts) for each piece depending on whether it looked decent or not.

Just Cause 2 has a massive potential for DLC (free or paid), which I imagine will be fully capitalized on, as none is it will be crucial yet I imagine all of it will add to the sandbox experience.

Also, I think the MW2 maps add-on is a massive rip-off.

10. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

I do agree, but I would think that the cost of a decent gaming mouse/keyboard and up-to-date graphics card will always skew things that way far more than DLC does.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

with you there. should be a quid for each map.

DLC free or not, it doesn't matter, it all depends on the contents.

However, i really dislike current trend of developers closing the game file systems so that only they can add stuff to the game. how many mods are there for games that has been released in the last 3 years?

12. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

+1

13. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

14. Skirrow

Skirrow What's a Dremel?

I have no problem with DLC when it comes to expansions, such as features that were dropped from the original game due to time constraints, budget etc. The biggest issue i have with DLC is when the content is already on the disc. The horse armor was the first example of this. You were basically paying to unlock content you already paid for. Bioshock 2 and to a lesser extent, Resident Evil 5 both pulled this stunt. Locking these features out on the original disc is proof of premeditated gouging.

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I am happy to pay for downloadable content as long as the original games does not suffer for it (ie developers cutting content just so they can include it as DLC at a later date).

I have no interest at all in the DLC's that offer nothing over and above the standard game (costumes etc) so I don't pay any attention to this sort of DLC.

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I miss the good old days when business men weren't running the scene trying to **** you for every penny you had.

17. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

£5 tops and it better be decent.

MW2 stimulus? Blow me, fix the game first.

18. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

Call of Duty MW2 Map Pack is one i would never buy (once i reloaded my system with windows 7 i never loaded back on) with its restarted xbox peer host based system game play is not consistent

if it was not for steam i would of had an refund or sold it. (i really should made new steam account for MW2 i going to not mostly not like the game as i could of sold it then)

all the BF2 map packs i did buy the 3 packs (Special forces been the best one due to NO jets and night maps), bf2142 was bit annoying due to bugs but was fun for bit (like MW2 but got boring very fast due to shot lag)

DLC it self is ok if the game is good, but map packs seem like they should be free

19. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Interesting.

I thought Cliff Harris' comment about the DLC being Win/Win, with the consumer only buying the extra bits they want, and the developer getting feedback on what the favourite game modes are, had merit.
    My problwm with this is that the developers don't think "We will charge them half, then allow them to upgrade it as they see fit". Instead (think: MW2 for this one), they make the (reduced) game the most expensive one ever, THEN expect you to fork out more for extra stuff.

To be honest, I never saw paid DLC as a problem. My first ever PC game was BF2142, and I bought Northern Strike for it. This gave me around 4 extra maps, and extra upgrades/Weapons/armour etc.
    BF2's expansion packs gave you different game modes, different armies and different maps/upgrades/weapons, and it was no big deal.
    Then came a bit of a downloading revolution and all the expansion packs became DLC, instead of nipping to the shops for your "expansion".

Of course, it seemed to me, back then, that the games were released complete, and extra stuff was added. Now it seems that the game is released half finished and the "extra stuff" is stuff that should've been in the original.
    What happened BTW about the bit of information that was going about re: MW2, where it appeared the extra maps were already on the original install, but "locked" until you bought the stimulus package. Was this ever proved to be true??

20. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

i think one of the biggest DLC's is iracing, with extra cars costing $11.95 each, and tracks at 11,95 to 14.95 each.

you *need* to buy extra content to advance from the rookie races/level.

if you buy all the content you get 25% off, but it comes to around £330 (with the discount)

and theres a subscription you haveto pay to run the game aswell, which is $14 per month, and about half that if you subscribe for a year or so.

and theres a 3dollar charge to host a custom race :|

Tags: Add Tags