1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Exams

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-23315, 23 May 2010.

1. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

Only 2 exams this year - Stress Analysis II and Chassis Engineering which are both done with. Roll on the summer :)

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Electronics & Software engineering here. We had assignments for it all semester as well, but the exam was essay questions. Directtly from the module booklet:

RATIONALE
    Engineers require a broad awareness of the professional and ethical issues associated with
    engineering activities and should demonstrate a sound knowledge of what is appropriate in
    professional practice, in terms of agreed principles articulated via relevant Professional Bodies, the Royal Academy of Engineering, the Engineering Council and other professional organisations and learned bodies.

AIMS
    To make students aware of the relevant professional, ethical, legal, sustainability, and quality issues associated with being a professional engineer.
    LEARNING OUTCOMES
    A successful student will be able to show that he/she can:

KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
    K1 Demonstrate understanding of the requirement for engineering activities to promote sustainable
    development
    K2 Demonstrate awareness of the framework of relevant legal requirements governing engineering
    activities, including personnel, health, safety, and risk (including environmental risk) issues.
    K3 Demonstrate an understanding of the need for a high level of professional and ethical conduct
    in engineering
    K4 Demonstrate an awareness of nature of intellectual property and contractual issues
    K5 Demonstrate an understanding of appropriate codes of practice and industry standards
    K6 Demonstrate an awareness of quality issues
    K7 Demonstrate an understanding of entrepreneurship and the entrepreneurial process

INTELLECTUAL QUALITIES
    I1 Argue the case for a proposed engineering activity taking due account of relevant professional constraints.
    I2 Analyse an engineering scenario and identify key issues requiring regulation eg with relevant codes of practice.

PROFESSIONAL/PRACTICAL SKILLS
    P1 Access relevant professional material including a range of on-line resources.
    P2 Perform an on-line patent search using an appropriate data.

TRANSFERABLE SKILLS
    T1 Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills.
    T2 Work effectively as a member of a team.

CONTENT
    Ethics , Codes of Practice, Business & Legal Aspects
    Engineering – historical perspective; the Professional Engineer; Engineering professional
    institutions; chartered and incorporated engineers; attributes of the professional engineer; skills requirements; professional development.
    Professional liability, including statutory, civil and criminal liability. Risk Management. Health &
    Safety issues. Intellectual property, security risks, Internet crime, identity theft, employee
    surveillance, privacy, and compliance etc.
    Engineering Ethics: what are they?; common examples of moral dilemmas and courses of action.
    The purpose and use of Professional Codes of Conduct; codes and standards relating to the
    electrical/electronic and mechanical engineering professions and cognate areas.
    Quality: Concepts of quality assurance, quality improvement and quality control. Quality
    Management Systems. Standards - ISO etc. Approaches to quality – Six Sigma etc.
    Sustainability
    The three components of sustainable development.
    Overview of current environmental and development concerns.
    Resource and emission constraints.
    Clean Technology as a way of thinking; dematerialisation, service provision, drivers.
    Changes of technology and lifestyle.
    Human needs, satisfiers and cultural choices.
    The contribution of Clean Technology to Sustainable Development; Applications and barriers.
    Entrepreneurship
    Entrepreneurship: nature; sources of financial support; examples.
    Intellectual Property Rights, copyright, trademarks, patents.

Standard 3 hour essay exam. They've become standard for me now. Makes me sad :p

Sounds a lot like my frist year of this course. Don't worry, looking back on it, they didn't even start to tax our brains until halfway (Sem2) through second year. The stuff you've covered in first year sounds identical to what I did, it won't be that bad. It's interesting to hear what different universities call their modules. Our versions of yours would have been called-

Digital Systems & Microprocessors (PIC basics, programming using assembly code etc)
    Electronic Engineering
    Telecommunications & Networks
    Engineering Science
    And last but not least, Software Development Principles, in which we covered C, not C#.

Last edited: 23 May 2010
  3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

That all sounds pretty familiar really, our only assessment was an audit of an existing company along those lines - pretty easy stuff. Especially in a group of 5 :D

4. AIK

AIK What's a Dremel?

I've got 2 AS Maths exams tomorrow, I should probably start revising:eeek:

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Spot on - they cherry pick the useful stuff.

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

My uni exams finished 2 weeks ago

7. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

Is it much the same as GCSE? Good luck with it anyhow, I have the exam wednesday and I have got 92/95 on coursework!! And 103/105 on graphic design:rock:

8. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Finished critical thinking (subject of doss), just done a Mechanics 1 retake, got M2, C3, C4 to look forward to... :/
    Then there's two physics A2 exams...and a geography one.

Oh the joys.

9. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

In my last ever exam season I have:

Inorganic Chemistry (Done)
    Social Impact of Biology (Done)
    Mechanisms Of Behaviour (25th)
    Cell Biology (28th)
    Organic Chemistry (2nd June)

With a bit of luck, I will graduate 9th July!

10. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Got my 2nd Electronicsexam this afternoon, wish me luck. :D

11. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Geotechnics yesterday wasn't a complete disaster but still wasn't great.

Seismic analysis 3 on Thursday, I'm taking half a day off from revision :lol:

12. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Written math, 1st of June, written english, 10th of June, Mediaproductions (only actual exam this year), 16th of June and oral Physics on the 22nd of June.

Currently I am writing a 10 page essay on the danish novelist Jan Sonnergaard as part of the written danish exam.

Easy going this year, 2nd and 3rd year is gonna be much harder o_O

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

best of luck to you :) Electronics is a wonderful subject, im doing a whole degree on it.

last exam at university tomorrow afternoon: Digital Synthesis and SystemC

14. Unicorn

I second that :) Good luck EC!

15. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

Hmmm I think you could be on the same course as me. If you thought Series and Transforms was hard, you should have seen PDE's. Oh the joy!

Every exam I've this year has been harder than the previous papers, which is really annoying. Just have vector calculus and fluid dynamics left.

16. wyx087

ah, i remember those exams. Digital circuit was really easy by Mark Nixon. Analogue was just able memorising pass papers, lectures were boring. Communication and Control were pretty hard, for Physics, revise Bennett's section since Alun Vaughan's exams were impossible. C# is really easy.

wait, Physics should be first semester. what did you do in first semester? looks like they've changed stuff around.

when i was in first year, it was never all 6 modules were exams, that's just crazy amount of work for first year. although there really isn't any point in working hard since first year mark doesn't count towards final degree. it is 40/60 for 2nd and 3rd year BEng and 20/40/40 for MEng. as long as you pass first year, it's fine.

17. Unicorn

The same thing happened recently with all Enineering courses at the large institutions in the UK I think. All major Engineering departments at the larger universities shuffled their courses around, weeding out the out of date modules and introducing newer, more up to date ones. The first year modules of my course now are a bit diferent to the ones that I did 3 years ago.

18. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

Finished first year medicine exams yesterday, spending today recovering from a hangover.

19. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Yeh, they've shifted some stuff around. We had Mark Nixons digital in sem1, and it was nice and easy.

First sem was digital circuits (this years digital is PLDs, System Verilog and a bit of architecture stuff), C programming, Solid State, Circuit theory and i'm sure i'm missing one, but haven't a clue what it is.

And physics is now done by Greg Parker (he's also my tutor). The lectures are the most boring ever, he gives no online notes at all, and for revision we have the first half of a 2006 exam paper with answers (ie - one that wasn't even set by him)... thats going to be a fun exam, everyone's looking forward to it :wallbash:

One thing hasn't changed though - Analouge papers are kind of a copy and past jobby year on year. Nice easy memorising. i've got that tomorrow :)

Good luck with your finals! Hope they go well :)

Edit: Just remembered the missing first sem module. Engineering Challenges: The bit of bureaucratic BS they just had to throw in :/ The one project it gave us was good. The rest of the module was an utter joke.

20. wyx087

4 years ago, it was called Profession issues, same BS though.

exam in 3 hours, can't wait :) the module is a 50:50 split between coursework and exam, i got 41 in my coursework, already passed this module. so i only need a 60% in the exam. i had done my 3rd year project on similar stuff and 4th year research on exactly same topic with Bashir who is the lecturer. so should be a breeze. :D