1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Evolution

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Editor22, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks angel :) I like your points about the colours and after some chatting on a few forums im going down the all black route :)

Update time.

Anyone who lives in the UK will know how lovley its been this weekend so on a toss up detween modding and being outdoor I went with the great outdoors :p I did however manage to get the front panel all smoothed off and also had a play about with some sticky back frosting :)

Using a spare bit of 1/2" bar I set it at a true straight edge with the angle and then filed and sanded it down.

[​IMG]

Any excuse to get outside :p

[​IMG]

Took the protective film off the pump shroud and spent the next 20 mins trying to get the frosting vinyl to go on without any air bubbles

[​IMG]

Still had quite a few on there so I started again this time being much much more carefull :p Its not perfect so I'll have to do it again at a later date but it will do as a mock up for lighting and to see how translucent it makes it.

[​IMG]

Finally just two shots of where I'm at now during a test fit of the pump and fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all I got for now :) happy sun bathing

2. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Wish I lived in the UK. Here in Florida of the US we just have summer all year. I miss the seasons... :sigh:

3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Awesome! so clean and peeeeeeeeerdy

4. hurv

hurv What's a Dremel?

Love the clean lines!

5. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Yeah but when summer does finally come round each year it seems so damn hot for a few days till you adjust lol, must be funny for other nations to see us Brits calling 25oc hot lol

Thanks guys :)

6. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Ha! It's like 86 degrees Farenheit (average) here all year! :D

7. SPNKR

SPNKR Pretty Good Kid

Try coming to Cleveland, Ohio. It was 75 F a few weeks ago, and the next day it snowed.

Great job on the mod btw, I love how its coming along. One point though, on the corner overlay piece, you should slip like a 2-4 mm spacer between it and the regular surface of the case to emphasize the overlay.

Just an idea.

Keep it up though, I can't wait to see this one finished.

Have Fun!
    SPNKR

siliconfanatic likes this.
  8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I like the idea of frosting the acrylic with a film but wouldn't it be easier using wet/dry sand paper?

9. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks SPNKR, hopefully the overlay will look more obvious once I'm finished with the left side panel, I say hopefully as its a bit of trial and error and to do as you suggested would mean re making the whole panel :(

I tried it a few times but can never seem to get an even frosting that's line free kinda hard to explain really but ill see about getting a shot of a piece next time I'm out there.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

When I tried it I had the same issue. I found if I started with a quick once over with 80grit standard sandpaper then wet sanded it I got a much better result.

11. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I was using 600 & 800 in a radial motion, Ill have a try getting some 80 tonight if I get chance :)

12. Nicksen

Nicksen Danish Kid :D

Whats the name of those fans? And are they loud? (dba)

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Cooler Master High Performance 120MM R4 Series

Product Details:

The R4 series fans offer a unity of maximum rotational speed and optimum airflow. Using a unique long-life sleeve bearing fan, the R4 series offers long life rating of 50,000 hours. R4 series fans perform at a maximum of 69CFM at 2000RPM. These R4 series are available in red, green, blue LED and dark smoke (no LED).

Features:

• Up to 69CFM (maximum RPM)
    • 19 dB-A silent application for CPU cooling.
    • RoHS compliance for protecting the environment
    • Recommended for V10, V8, Hyper 212, Hyper Z600, Gemini, Cosmos, Cosmos S, HAF 932, HAF 922, CM Storm Scout and Sniper.
    • 50,000 long life hour

"Taken from performance PC's"

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

The noise specs on the R4s are definitely optimistic. But they're still decent fans.

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Yeah there pretty nice but its hard to say how loud they are as I've bashed them about quite a bit with test fits :( . I was saying over on WCUK how I was tempted to swap them out for the enermax everest ones once the builds finished. Still thinking about that though :p

16. SPNKR

SPNKR Pretty Good Kid

I do have one quick question: How is the airflow going to work down in the rads? Are they going to blow through the case or both in? Or is there another vent on the bottom/top of that section?

17. Chaos_Engine

Chaos_Engine What's a Dremel?

Looking good so far, still think the drives could do with a little more support. Maybe a thin strip bracket?

18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

There is going to be a vent in the bottom of the case so the air should flow something like this (excuse the poor diagram I was in a bit of a hurry)

[​IMG]

I agree :) The single plate is very much still a prototype and needs a lot of work but luckily its one of the things I can make while the case is operational so its right at the end of the list for things to do :p

19. SPNKR

SPNKR Pretty Good Kid

Alright, thanks, that clarifies things.

Have fun!
    SPNKR

20. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Ok update time again :)

Was determined to get the drive caddy finished so took it out and made a start on some cable routing spaces. Holes were drilled all along the outline then joined up with the fret saw.

[​IMG]

The groove was then filed finished and the whole piece was given a quick going over with some paper.

[​IMG]

I was going to call it a day there but instead I got carried away and ended up making the window.

Masked off some 3mm light smoked plexi and made an outline of the cut out then marked out 15mm around the edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For long straight cuts I use a rail to run the saw up against and as long as I remember to clear the junk from it while cutting it comes out a lot better than freehand.

[​IMG]

Just measuring up for the final cut

[​IMG]

And some shots in the lovely sunshine :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]