1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Thoughts on Prince of Persia

Discussion in 'General' started by chimmy09, 22 May 2010.

1. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

What are everyone's thoughts for the Prince of Persia movie? I am hoping it will be good, but fearing that it is going to be a pile of fail, as most video game movies tend to be. Also, it is starring Jake Gyllenhaal, and I have only ever liked him in Donnie Darko and October Sky.

2. kaizer

kaizer What's a Dremel?

Its going to be an awful movie! These type of films should be directed and written by proper fans and not some lame director who knows nothing about its history etc

3. October

October Mariachi Style

Fail, it was written by Jordan Mechner. No excuse for not doing a little research in this day and age ;)

In the end though it isn't entirely great. Either Mechner or the re-writers had absolutely no faith in the audience whatsoever, the dialogue is almost purely expository. There are a few really dodgy, unnessecary slo-mo shots (as in not even shot at high speed) and there's very little plot-wise that hasn't been done a thousand times before.

Other than that it's damned pretty, the sand effects on the Prince look awesome, the acrobatic stuff looks like it was lifted from the game (no wall-running tho :grr:) and the ending actually kinda works...

It's not an epically brilliant film, but nor is it yet another Boll-esque piece of crap. Popcorn fluff, in the vein of Transformers etc. Know this going in and you'll probably enjoy yourself :thumb:

4. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I always laugh when people think video game source material should be treated with some type of reverence.

This is Prince of Persia, they're hardly stomping on an important work of genius or cultural heritage. I haven't seen it but, if anything, this appears to be a perfectly suitable film considering the franchise.

Perspective people, just because it started as a video game doesn't mean it deserves the white glove treatment.

5. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Doesn't mean they can pass the script writing part off to a bunch of drugged-up interns, though. With movies like Transformers I have to phase out the people and 'dialogue' and just focus on the cool CGI action or it'll merely annoy me :p

6. kaizer

kaizer What's a Dremel?

I laugh at you for thinking that

7. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Says the guy who thinks a Prince of Persia film should be made by "proper fans" and "people who know the history". :hehe:

Dude, come on. It's a film based on sprite character jumping on platforms. They've turned it into a big, silly, CGI filled campy blockbuster.

Considering the track record of game-to-movie adaptations, that sounds perfect to me.

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

If this was a faithful Prince of Persia adaptation, we'd be watching our nameless hero as he ran down grey corridors, tip toeing through spike traps and quaffing coloured potions while racing to save the princess in under an hour. Highlights would be a bit where everything goes a bit 'upside down', a surprisingly easy dual with his mirror self and a leap of faith near the end.

That or he falls off the first ledge he comes to and breaks his legs. The film then becomes a bit French art-house.

Spoilers:
    The princess is not in another castle.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

10. kaizer

kaizer What's a Dremel?

They should at least try to make it worth watching!

11. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Brilliant! not seen that anim before :)

12. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

'Worth watching' is really a relative term, as I'm sure the thousands of tweens who go see it will love it. When I was 10 I thought 3 Ninjas was the best film ever made.

Films like this will always have a place in this world. And for those of us who have slightly more discerning tastes, there are plenty of other great films out there.

13. kaizer

kaizer What's a Dremel?

Yeah your right there !

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I was never into transformers at all before I saw the Bay film, so it did annoy me. Greatly. I approached it with an open mind rather than expecting popcorn fluff, which was a mistake.

One VG film I actually didn't mind was Doom. It was terrible, but it felt exactly like Doom 3 in that respect - stupid as hell, simplistic and very pretty to look at :) Maybe that's the trick to getting away with a VG film. Base it on a mediocre game, and nobody will be expecting miracles.

15. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

What did annoy me about the Doom movie is that they called it 'Doom' and pretended it was based on the video game, even though the game was about a portal to Hell and fighting demons and stuff, whereas the movie pulled a Resident Evil with just another funky virus. Resident Doom would have been a better title :p

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Oyez, has anybody seen Far Cry, by the way? It kinda fell under the radar, being a Boll film, I haven't heard anything about it.

17. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Being a big Far Cry fan, i checked the movie the other day, and all i can say is HUGH epic fail - almost to the point of being labeled under "Parody Movies" section in my mind. almost. :grr:

for PoP, i don't think they will get it right, mainly due to the fact that, like a lot of the game -> movie types, they try to cover either too much, or too little back story and history.

End of the day, they will over play the free-running style movement, under play everything else, and f*** up the movie as a whole.

P.S: as anyone who has played the 3D games will remember, i wonder if they will show the prince suddenly jumping randomly into the void cause the camera controls are so bad?:hehe::wallbash:

18. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

yeah i saw FarCry ages ago, possibly one of Uwe bolls worst films ever

20. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

its no classic like pirates of the Caribbean. A ok 6/10 or 7/10

The amount of times they lose the dagger...get it back...lose it...get it back...lose it once more..only to get it back again was bordering on the insane.

A movie which had a lot of potential to become a franchise...but it got killed by this poor showing.

With bruckhiemer involved i really expected more...