1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ProtoHype - (paused)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 13 Aug 2009.

1. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks guys.. nice comments :)

2. Ampersand.

Ampersand. What's a Dremel?

I actually had to bother logging in to reply to this one.
    I'm super impressed with the amount of work you are putting in to this. I was hooked by the time you had done the OD mod.
    I love the whole theme, I can't wait to see this completed. One day I will have the time/money/space to make something this worthwhile...

A question about your 'mill'. Is it a manual mill or a drill press with a sliding clamp bit?
    What is the difference?
    I have never owned any of these workshop tools but they make a huge difference to the quality of what people produce. The jigsaw and hand drill on my balcony don't quite cut it :D

Once again, kick-ass workmanship. I'll keep watching this for sure.

3. nissanskyrice

nissanskyrice Terminally Lazy

:jawdrop:Amazing work!!! Wish I had the tools and 1/2 your skill. Will definately keep watching this one.

4. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks for bothering :thumb: I'm glad you like it so far.
    I use different mills, my own mill located in another town (can be seen in the first post of this thread) and two larger ones at university. All are manual mills and I use the ones that are available at the moment.

Drill presses are not god at milling since they are only manufactured to withstand the vertical forces of drilling. Mills can withstand both vertical and horizontal forces and therfore produces a much better result when milling. The "sliding clamp bit" you refer to is a coordinate table or "x-y table". These are standard on mills and may exist on drill presses aswell but when used with a drill press their main usage is to get accurate distances between holes and not for miling slots that you can do on mills.

Thanks for the nice comment :)

5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Back again... with another update. After the Hd-blocks were done, I could countinue with the case itself. These parts are for supporting the top and bottom part of the case...and to get that round shape. It'l probably make more sense in the next uppdate when there will be some more parts added.

Some 10mm Alu cut to a basic shape.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

A rotary table is used to get a curved shape. a
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Hate those nasty edges but, it's good theyr pretty easy to remove.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

I was needed to upgrade my tools with a set of 3mm needle files.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

The parts could not be completed in the mill alone and therfore I had to do the last shaping by hand, these red parts had to be removed since i needed a straight edge without a radius.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

I used a regular file to get that basic shape...
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

then there were a copule of houres for me and the needle files to get to know each other... One almost done, 7 to go :S
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Countersunk the holes with an endmill to make the screwheads fit.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

After some hours of filing and wetsanding all 8 sides where done. Was really hard not to mess up that radius but I think it turned out ok.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it if for this day.
    Feel free to post any comments, questions or criticism

/GNU
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

6. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Very nice milling work n good photography, I got to work on that for my next log!

7. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

They look extraordinairy. Great use of rotary table and more especially great use of files. You must have been really patient on this one.

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

thx..about the photograpy. I only use one big sheat of white paper and one desktop lamp. I know two lamps would be better with a diffuser infront to soft out the light but I currently dont have that. Will try to make it in the near future. My camera is pretty crapy aswell. A regular pocket camera without any fancy lenses.

Heres a quick tip on how to improve the photos. Since my camera is pretty crapy when it comes to contrast and the white balance. The pictures end up slightly dull and red toned. In photoshop there is a function called "auto levels" doin this improves most of the pictures and take like 2 sec to do. Heres a before and after "auto levels" shot.
    [​IMG]

Thanks a lot. Yeah there was a lot of patience and sore fingers needed for these parts :)

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Great! I missed this project a lot. Once you get one side worked out, the others should seem easy.

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

thx.. yeah, I havn't been able to do much of building lately since Im in the middle of finishing my studies. Been doing that non stop for the last weeks..:S But soon I'm done, which means more time in the workshop:)

11. ThomasJS

ThomasJS Minimodder

Woow, nice project, going to follow this one!

I have a question, soon i'm building my own scratch build case. And i'm not sure what thickness I should use for the aluminium panels. I guess that 1mm is to thin for the side panels, what should i use?

12. Chaos_Engine

Chaos_Engine What's a Dremel?

Very nice skills, wish i had the equipment to do this

13. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

This is shaping up very nicely, too bad I've missed this one before.

14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks. Nice to hear you're starting your own build. I think 1mm for the panels will be a little bit thin. I would go for atleast 1,5mm (thats what I used for the case of the "Widescreen Projector)" . It kind of depends on how large your intending to make it, what kind of support there is, and if your going to have anything heavy mounted on it. In ProtoHype I will use 2mm for the sides since I will bolt some heavy watertanks on it and I think that thicker looks better.

Thanks..maybe some day ther's a mill in your home aswell :)

Thanks.. well, you've only missed the beginning. The realy fun part is just about to start :)

15. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Thanks for the photo-tip! I'm definately going to post process my shots for the next mod. Or even for the current one, I'm doing.

16. ThomasJS

ThomasJS Minimodder

I watched the Widescreen Projector too, very nice.. maybe I will use your brushing method in my project :)
    You are right about the 2mm plates, looks nicer too.
    Thanks for your help!

17. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yeah, try it out. It can make a lot of difference to the photos

thanks. If you use the brushing method. please let me know how it turned out. So far I havn't seen anyone else's results from the brushing method. Would love to do that.

18. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Okay first I have to apologize for my absence. I got a job offer that I couldn't refuse and therefore the protohype time has been suffering. The part of the build im currently in right now is the top and bottom of the case. This is one really timeconsuming and hard part of the build. Also most of the parts look the same which might result in less pics.

Maybe you remember these 12 alubars, They need to be milled down in a step patern following a radius to make the sanding easier. Since I don't have acess to a cnc, I'll have to do it by hand :(. It might sound simple to just mill them down in straight steps and I thought that too. Well it turned out not to be that easy when you have 2 different vices. Pain in the ass to align them.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

First steps milling down to the right height
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Then it's time to mill the steps..
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

First part done..
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Second one in the making, slightly different.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here I am testfitting the parts and realized that those steps are probably to large. Will take a long time to sand them down by hand and I risk loosing the shape. Will have to make smaller steps..
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

..like these ones.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Now thats better. But the part in the middle is 1mm to high And I will need to mill that of the bottom, because this hurts my eyez.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here you can get a glimpse of what the finished top will look like. The bars need to be cut to the right lenght, the one that's shorter is already cut...duh
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Now I'll just have to do this all over again for the bottom pieces.:sigh: I so hope the finished result will meet my expectations.
    See ya.

/GNU

19. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Nice work you really are making amazing shape. You will have lot of sanding for sure but I can't see how the finished result will disapoint you when I see how awesome it is right now.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Sheet :jawdrop::eeek: :D brilliant.
    I unsubscribed from all logs a while ago & forgot about some of the ones that were blowing me away, glad I found this one again :), OMG I wish I owned a lathe & mill but mostly a mill :D both machines on my hard to reach list :D, beautiful work Gnu :clap:.