1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Red Dead Redemption Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 May 2010.

1. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I'm almost tempted to say that a mere nine is a little harsh. The multiplayer free roam mode is without any doubt the best thing I've ever encountered on a console. Even better than the single player and the single player is epic. By the normal run of things I don't touch console multiplayer with a barge pole because it's usually laggy, full of knobheads and the games themselves aren't usually up to much, but rounding up a few mates and just roaming through the entire, massive, game world, while other groups do likewise, shooting, stealing, fighting bandits or breaking the law, it's just incredible. Not had any worries with lag or connection, just straight into a game and off you pop.

The only complaint I have with the game, and it's a weird one I know, is that the unlocks and challenges and so forth being present in both single and multiplayer diminishes them a bit. I don't want to have to do the same fluff-content twice. Also the multiplayer avatars ought to have been customisable like in GTA 4, but there's quite a lot to choose from so it's no biggie.

I've seen a few bugs, but they've only ever been funny rather than game breaking.

2. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Apart from Lost Planet 2 (a 5), Alpha Protocol (also a 5), Prince of Persia (a 7), Dead to Rights Retribution (a 7), you are spot on. Which is to say you couldn't be more wide of the mark because that's almost every console game we've reviewed in the last 6 weeks, bar RDR and Splinter Cell.

Well, it depends, if you're the kind of committed miser who doesn't like funny things, then maybe. The bugs don't break the game, they don't happen often and when they do they're funny enough to upload to YouTube. Not exactly a big deal is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

The game got the score it got because Joe like it; games cannot be reviewed in an entirely objective and scientific manner. You can't run a game through a lab test or a benchmark and get a quality score. Deal with it.

3. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

HUH? LMAo, talk about ignorant. Major game breaking bugs? Where? Never read one review nor came across any neither did bit-tech. Sorry, but your post is a load. Nothing happens in the forst 35-40 mins? HUH? The first part is a bit slow due to it being a kind of tutorial kind of, like 99% of games, the whole game is not like that, LMAO. That is not a trend of the agme at all, in fact the game is almost overwheliming with distractions and things to do.
    Maybe you have ADHD and need a constant swarm of enemies, maybe COD is your thing. This game is so much more then that.

Another guy who has never played it making wrong, and grooss assumptions and speculation.

game is a masterpiece IMO, just shows how overrated GTA really was, because this is ten times better.

4. mastorofpuppetz

Agreed, I was not even going to buy this seeming as it was a rockstar game, when a friend told me how good it was i broke down, and boy was I glad, masterpiece is pretty much spot on IMO. Incredible game, I'd even say a 9 might be a bit to low, but still a good score none the less.

5. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I been playing this loads, its awesome! Am loving it on PS3.
    Multiplayer is really good fun although it need a bit more to do in freeroam like hold up a train. Blow up a train. Cutting the bandits off at the pass, etc...
    Single player looks good, will get back on it when i've levelled my mp to 50!
    I'd advise anyone who likes gta4 or call of juarez to buy this game now!

6. mastorofpuppetz

This game is nothing like GTA, what are you smoking? I hate GTA, love red dead. Call of juarez also sucks compared to this.

7. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

I read there is a posablity that it will be coming to the pc for xmas

8. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

So essentially its just like living in Arizona now.

9. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

This is certainly on my list of games to get.

10. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

+1
    What he said. Awesome game, getting better as time goes on - and I haven't even tried multiplayer yet.

11. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

FWIW those of you who've saved the multiplayer for after, that might be a good call. Having seen locales and weapons that I've not found in single player has taken something of the excitement out of the game.

12. enciem

enciem Minimodder

Can't wait for the PC version, I love trawling through forums trying to find fixes for flashing shadows and memory leaks

13. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

His face looks a bit like Beowulf (2007) movie...

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

PC version. WANT.

15. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

All they need is the story from GTA and the setting of RDR, and we're laughing.

16. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

I just don't have the capacity to follow a story deeply and with great attention in a game. If I want a great story I watch a great movie. It is that simple. Games should be about gameplay and graphics. Make something fun to play instead of something deep to watch (which you game developers rarely ever manage to pull off anyways).

my 2 cents.

And please no PC port Rockstar (yes I said port, sue me). Just keep this a console exclusive for all I care. If you can't make a decent PC version then just don't bother trying.

And just because Joe likes this game as much as to warrant a niner doesn't mean I have to like it at all.
    I will not buy this game. That is for sure.

Last edited: 30 May 2010
  17. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver score: 1 out of 10.

coz it doesnt have a PC version.

:'(

18. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Read like a very fair and balanced review compared to many. Why I rely on bit-tech more than any other sites

19. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I don't think a bunch of Serbian and Russian criminals would take well to desert life...:D

20. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

I'm confused as to why the graphics look ropey on a PS3?. Although I must admit I havent actually seen the Xbox version to compare but I think the PS3 graphics look stunning.

Hammering X to drive your horse is a little annoying, however when you aim your horse should stay on the road (if you are on a road/trail), so there is no need to try and aim & steer at the same time. Of course the first time you are told of this is 40% into the game, when you have a mission to drive a stagecoach.. It would of been nice for Rockstar to tell us these things earlier.

My main annoyance with the game is the lack of explaination on how to do stuff and the tutorials appearing at the top left of the screen. I found it near impossible to read that text whilst playing attention to what was going on. The only way I worked out how to Duel was by watching a You Tube video where someone explained it. The manual had no info, the on screen tutorial was appearing at the same time I was trying to shoot the other guy.

Also I am forced sometimes to follow the story, so when a bandit grabs a random woman using her as human shield, I want to be able to shoot him thro' the woman (even if it that choice does mean it reduces my honour / fame rating). I mean, why should I care if she lives or dies?

Smaller issues like dying becuase I had my lasso selected instead of a gun when coming across a group of bandits irriate but doesn't stop me enjoying the game.I have yet to have a show stopping bug/gltich, my friends, however have not been so lucky.

This review has confused me, it seems to be "down" on the game becuase it is cool to take an alternative viewpoint, then awarded a 9 out of 10, thats confusing. You've seem to skip over the multiplayer bit which is rather well done and a fun diversion from the main game.

Tags: Add Tags