1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Four percent of gamers play for 50 hours a week

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 May 2010.

1. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Thankfully Steam gives you an EAGLES SCREAM! at a much more reasonable 32 hours :p

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I used to play 10-20 hours a week, but the games got old, and I didn't want to upgrade my GFX so new games aren't the greatest looking

now I almost never play, now all I do is watch TV online, probably around 6 hours a day

3. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Jesus christ 50 hours a week?! Heck even when I was going through my socially retarded BF2 addiction phase I would struggle to break 40 hours a week. :O

Nowadays it'd be a gold medal effort to spend more than 12-15 hours gaming in a 7 day week... in fact it's not uncommon for me to go an entire week without a single hour lately.

4. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

im pretty sure i saw a story about a guy who played diablo to death.

oh and there was that korean couple who left their baby to play starcraft, and it died.

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

guys my point is all of those various games that have each had 1 or 2 deaths in total of all of those various games still dont add up to what WoW has had alone, again Im NOT saying that deaths dont happen in other games or that other games arent addicting what I am saying is that MMOs is by far one of the highest and leading causes.

6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

should of seen my stats when i played BF2 Special forces 40hrs an week seems like i did that i think (until the 1.3 patch destroyed the community)

eve online i think i used to burn some time as well

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Everquest (Evercrack) people have played that till they died too. Diablo II LOD I sorta understand. I played that online for years. I got f***ing good too. But..it aint good for ya.

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Yes I can, I don't think I mentioned anywhere about the research not taking place in the us which begs me to ask, did you read my post or are you doing 1+1 and getting 3?I simply applied personal experienece to why something like this doesn't surprise me. If you want me to say it, most people in the US are fat ****tards an this goes a long way to explaining why.

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Again I am in the top 1%. During the opening months of STO I maintained a 100+ hours per every 2 weeks, according to Steam (Praise be upon the Newell).
    People need to look at stats differently, how much time do you waste NOT gaming! People need to get their priorities straight, Gaming first, and then other dalliances!

Yours in Gaming IS Life Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

P.S. LOL

10. Fizzban

Unfortunately 100+ hours a week is nothing to boast about. Whatever your priority's are..that much just shows a serious lack of real life interaction.

Perspective: Most people work between 30 and 45 hours a week. Then they do things like eat, wash and sleep. Around that they fit in sex, gaming and other things like films and books. 100+ hours just aint possible for anyone with a semi-normal life.

11. shadow19935

shadow19935 Whats overclocking? :D

They need to get a life?

12. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

"100+ hours per every 2 weeks" :read:

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

In same ways it could be... If he's able to work and make enough of a living to keep on playing STO for 100+ hours every two weeks then he's obviously doing okay. I sure couldn't afford working so little that I had 50+ hours per week (notice the 100+ is per two weeks). It's when someone starts playing 50+ hours a week when they can't actually support it and start damaging other aspects of life that a real problem occurs.

14. Fizzban

OH EVERY 2WEEKS....My bad... *hangs head in shame* 50 hours in a week is quite possible...hell I can pull that off when I feel the urge..

My pardons Star*Dagger.

15. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

Now, while yes i'll admit that WoW has an unprecedented amount of deaths related to the game, it also has an unprecedented amount of players and has had for a very long time(think 6 million players 3/4 years ago and 11.5m in 2008). So you may need to take into account relative numbers when making your rather rash and mostly unfounded arguments public :thumb:.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Eat enough plums and you're bound to choke on a pit!

I'd also be tempted to say that a lot more deaths from WoW exist because there's a lot more people looking for it. One of my links and a few others I saw while searching were all unnamed games. Imagine if a man dies playing AvP for 50 hours straight, articles won't even name it because no one's heard of it and even gamers don't care about it. On the flip side, imagine if someone dies playing Farmville. The entire modern world will be in uproar about what an awful and addictive game it is.

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Do about 60 hours a week

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

or maybe you should consider the total people playing those various games combined in comparison to WoW total players, which most likely would come out to be pretty similar, and thus my remark when I said all of those games combined still dont add up to WoW alone.

Is it me or is everyone trying to justify the negative aspects and health issues that these games have on society...

19. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

10 - 35 hours for me :)

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

If 10 million people buy Modern Warfare 2 and each plays it for 15 hours (enough to beat it three times? :D) then we get 150 million hours. If 10 million people buy WoW and play it moderately over the course of a couple years they can easily hit 50 hours per player. That'd be a total of 500 million hours. Both of those are very moderate estimates for play time, but the concept is still there. The design of an MMO to be an ongoing experience simply makes it be played over a longer period of time. The only addictive quality of them is to recieve better items and attain a higher level. This is the RPG aspect of the game and is prevalent in every modern game.

You see, the rest of us are saying that playing too much is bad. You're saying that WoW is bad.

Tags: Add Tags