1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling PWM Fans for Push/Pull with Corsair H50

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhoenixTank, 29 May 2010.

1. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Hi all!
    I had settled on grabbing two Scythe Gentle Typhoons for the Corsair H50 watercooling kit, but I am likely to be getting a mobo that uses PWM headers.
    As such, I may need some suitable 120mm fans that are 4pin (PWM) as opposed to the standard voltage controlled 3-pin.
    I seem to remember reading about the Sharkoon silent eagle fans, but are there any other good alternatives users have come across? Tonal noise matters to me. Preferably something I can find at Scan, Dabs or Amazon, too.
    Cheers!

Last edited: 29 May 2010
  2. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

said it before, so i'll say it again:

3. PhoenixTank

I think your recommendation was one of those I had previously seen, but thanks for posting it again! =)
    Don't seem to have quite as much oomph as the Scythe GT fans (fairly close though), from what I've seen, but sterling reviews otherwise.
    As you personally have the setup I may end up going for, any idea if I'd be able to attach three Silent Eagles to the radiator? One on one side, two on the other?

I ask partly because the easiest PWM splitter for me to source is this Akasa splitter that I saw in another thread. I obviously don't need to use all three fan inputs, but if it can be done (and doesn't actually harm cooling performance) I'll probably do it (or keep the third as a spare).

4. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

GT's have better static air pressure than the SE's, which would make them better for a radiator, but they are 3pin fans and thus your mobo's CPU header won't speed control them (which i'm currently finding out now that i've rebuilt my PC into a temporary CM Scout case while i'm installing Watercooling in my Antec 1200)

are you buying from Scan because of the free shipping offer? because Aquatuning also have a free shipping offer to Bit-Tech users. you could buy the fans and a PWM splitter cable from them, and get free shipping (when they have stock)
    http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product...harkoon-Silent-Eagle-SE---120x120x25mm--.html
    http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product...in-to-2x-4Pin-PWM---1x-3Pin-30cm---black.html

3 fans on the H50 would be a noisy nightmare of air turbulance and no additional benefit, not to mention it will make the rad/fan assembly stick out further inside the case, maybe even blocking parts of the motherboard. i'd avoid that at all costs

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

GT's to me are pretty much silent. Saying that just get the 1850 RPM models and use a fan controller to adjust them.

I currently use Noctua fans and the GT 1850's I bought for my WC upgrade make a little more noise while shifting a lot more air :)

Hope this helps :)

6. PhoenixTank

Yeah, that is more or less what I picked up while working on the spec for my build. My case fans are all 3pin, and using a fan controller with those so I can turn them down/off at will, but it'd make sense to use a 4pin for automatic control for the CPU, since I won't be turning them off.
    Nah, the shipping offer doesn't apply to me since I'm not part of the Mainland UK. Using Scan because of the wide selection and the fact they'll take VAT off my order if I call to order.
    I should probably price check with Aquatuning, though.
    Allright, thought I'd ask - obviously, seems pointless.

Might go that way, still weighing up the pros and cons. Only issue is feeding the RPM to the CPU_FAN header. Cheers!