1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Best 24 to 28" gaming monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheLink, 30 May 2010.

1. TheLink

TheLink What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Right so I have just upgraded my build by adding a HD 5870, Win 7 Home, and 2 GB of ram.

I am still waiting for the parts to be delivered but this will be my final build!

CPU: Intel E8400 OC @ 3.6 Ghz
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja II
    Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
    Memory: 4GB 800Mhz DDR2
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X
    Case and PSU: Antec Sonata III with 500W PSU
    Storage: Western Digital, Caviar Blue S-ATA, 640 Go, 16 Mo

I currently have a 20.1" Belinea 102030W monitor at 1680x1050 with the following specs:
    • Brightness: 300cd/m²
    • Contrast: 800:1
    • Response time: 8ms
    • Viewing angle: 178°/178°
    • Panel: Premium MVA

and I'm considering getting something bigger that would be great for gaming and occasionally films. I am thinking of looking at a 1920x1200 because of the larger working area for my office work.

Then really I am looking at spending up to £350, and the bigger the monitor the better (27" or 28") as long as the quality is there for my budget.

What would you guys recommend?

Many thanks :thumb:

Last edited: 30 May 2010
  2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

A good 24inch in your budget is asking too much...

How about 23inch (1920x1080):
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=421265

This monitor is fully adjustable and can pass from landscape to portrait mode allowing comfortable viewing. It also has a IPS panel, allowing you to be anywhere in your room (as long you are in front of the screen) and see the screen without any color degradation thanks to its 178 degree view angle in all directions. Because it's a IPS panel, the panel can output true 8-bit color (all 16 777 216 of them), while TN panels can only output 6-bit colors (262 144 colors), and uses a flash between 2 colors that it produce really really fast (usually the speed of the response time claimed), in the vain hope to trick your eyes in the correct color.

Yes the response time is higher in an IPS panel, but remember what I just said... your 2ms TN panel is because it can't produce all colors, add that a moving picture, and the real response time that your eyes see is actually higher.. IPS panels doesn't need to perform any color tricks, so the response time is really as mentioned. But that is only 1 thing. The other thing is that the colors are much nicer, mainly due to the ability to output all 8-bit colors and higher grade LCD liquid used). This panel has a 8ms response time.

Additional features:
    - Multiple inputs allowing multiple computers/laptops to be connected. You have 1x VGA, 1x DVI, and 1 Display Port for new high-end laptops and starting to appear in some graphic cards.
    - 4 USB ports, 2 on the back which can be used for webcam and keyb/mouse wireless receiver as example, and 2 on the side for easy access.
    - Metal stand and metal mechanical system for easy screen adjustment, and better built quality.
    - 3 year warranty

The higher end model of this series is the U2410:
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&cs=ukdhs1&sku=294438

Additional features (over the first model mentioned)
    - 1920x1200 screen resolution
    - has more inputs such as HDMI, component, composite, and a second DVI plug.
    - picture-in-picture with side-by-side picture-in-picture.
    - Pre-calibrated with full report Adobe RGB and sRGB color profile, allowing to have amazing accurate colors out of your display when switch to either color profile modes.
    - Touch sensitive controls menu navigation control, to make the button hidden which works very well. (when you finger comes close to menu button, the button blue LED lights up to show where it's located, you press on it, and the on-screen menu appear and all other menu navigation buttons light-up.
    - Almost 0 backlit bleeding (at default screen brightness)
    - 0 bright pixel policy (dead pixel policy is the same as the previously mentioned model and same for all other companies)
    - 6ms response time

3. TheLink

TheLink What's a Dremel?

GoodBytes, thanks for the detailed input.

My budget is somewhat adaptable if the quality is there.

I really want to stick to a 1920x1200 if I can, and I might consider the Dell U2410 which looks great.

What about this Iiyama I saw recommended for gamers while browsing:
    Iiyama E2607WS (26") which is a 1920x1200 and costs £302.12

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/180451

I understand that the IPS allows a better viewing angle but I but really only be using the screen on my own so a narrow angle doesn't really bother me.#

4. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

GoodBytes, is the 23 inch monitor just a 1080p version of the 2209wa?

TheLink, you could also consider a NEC EA231WMi

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I agree with bob and the NEC EA231WMi

6. TheLink

TheLink What's a Dremel?

Any other suggestions ?

7. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

HP LP2475, HP ZR24w or Dell U2410 all are a full 1920 x1200, you can read reviews Here and Here...

If you could live with a 23", then look at the NEC MultiSync EA231WMi...
    ________
    AllWonderful cam

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  8. GoodBytes

Review of the U2410 is excellent. If you can grab it in special, like it is now, it's a very good deal. The cool thing about wide view angle, is that (in my case), I can plug my XBox controller on my PC and put myself anywhere on my bed (which I put pillows to kinda make it as a sofa), and play my games, without keeping going up and sit down to adjust the screen due to color degradation. But that is my setup. Games looks fantatsic when playing them in Adobe RGB color profile, which is really cool.

Ah, well you must know that after 24inch with the same resolution (1920x1200), the only that happens is that the pixels are bigger, making text not as smooth to read from up close. If you aiming for bigger screen, than have a higher screen resolution, of course they are much more expensive. And example is the 27inch U2711 from Dell.. which is identical to teh 24inch model (but can't rotate from landscape to portarit): http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=381164
    Yyyeaaa.... as you can see it's really expensive.

Anyway, about the Iiyama E2607WS, well it's a TN panel, as explained, it's a 6-bit display, so the monitor takes 2 colors it can output (part of it's 6-bit color pallet), and switch between them continuoiusly at a very fast rate in the hope to trick your eyes in seeing the correct color... this however it never really correct. Sadly your eyes and brain is smarter than that. You don't see the flickering, but you know (if compared) the color is not accurate. And sometimes it rounds color it can't produce because the 2 color sit can produce are too far appart. This means that dark gray (an example) can appear as black.. which can ruine (in my opinion) the experience of some games all teh way down to your digital pictures and if you are picky, to even websites.

The monitor has more serious issues all mentioend here, which I highely recommand the read:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/monitors/review/2008/10/03/Iiyama-ProLite-E2607WS-26in-monitor/p3

Another problem, is that the screen can't be adjusted, you can put it higher or lower, as a CRT user, I can really say that was annoying as you can't really sit comfotably unless you lower your chair and use a keyboard tray (so the monitor is higher up), or put a stand of stack of printer paper under the screen to lift is up. For me, adjustable stand is really about fine tuning your confort at the desk, and that makes using your computer and playing games more fun.

And the frame is glossy... this can be a big distraction if you have any light source (lamp, window) behind or above the monitor.

If anyone is intrested to see what is teh difference between IPS and TN panel, you can find svereal nice videos on youtube like this one (you can notice on thsi video the problem with glossy frames):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw0acUxMaKo&NR=1&feature=fvwp (watch in 1080p):
    Little note: At teh end of the video he shows comparison of the pictures betwene 2 high-end TN panels, and on my laptop (TN panel) I dont' see a large difference, but on my U2410, I do see a difference between all comparison shots.. teh reason for this is that the U2410 picture is beeing cut down quiet a bit due to my TN panel.

Usually TN panel has problem with green (too yellow), white (too blue), dark colors, and red (red being the big looser here)

Other videos of interest:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7XNwbUYEM

Looks like.

Intresting choice. It is to be noted that it is 1980x1080, and has a 16ms response time.
    Here is a more complete review I found:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/nec-ms-ea231wmi.html

It is intresting one as it is cheaper than the U2410, so the downside if the NEC might be excused with it's lower price point.

9. GoodBytes

The HP LP2475 = U2410.
    They use the same panel. The only difference is that the stand, and that the Dell U2410 comes pre-calibrated for an easy setup (attach it, and switch to Adobe RGB or sRGB color profile, pick the one your prefer... I like Adobe RGB), menu OSD navigation, and of course looks.

10. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

The u2410 / hp lp2475 really are great screens but are a bit out of your budget. We had a nice chat about how good the u2410 is in a recent forum post.

If you really want to stay 16:10 then my advice would be to wait for a bit and save up some more cash. Then you'll be able to grab the u2410. I really like the H-ips panel and it's a lot nicer than my old TN Film screen.

I really think if you're gonna spend your hard earned cash moving up from 1680x1050 you won't get that much of a better experience on a 24" to 28" TN Film panel. Size is great and all but you'd be better off spending a little bit more money and getting size, resolution AND lovely image quality.

11. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Really!...Has Dell recently bought HP, or has HP recently bought Dell?

Yes, they use the same panel, but they are different monitors...
    ________
    Avandia side effects

12. GoodBytes

Please read the rest of my post.

13. TheLink

TheLink What's a Dremel?

Well well well the more I read the more confused I feel...!

The HP ZR24W 24" does look pretty good and sells at £338 on eBuyer compared to the £434 of the Dell U2410 24".

According to TFT central it seems to come pretty close to the U2410 for £100 less.

Any thoughts?

14. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

I did!

Firstly you say they are equal, then you point out the differences, so basically contradicting your first comment; all I did was point out that they are two different monitors, although they share the same panel...
    ________
    Buy marijuana seeds

15. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

I can't say I have any hands on experience with the ZR24W, but I'm looking to pick one up myself. From what I've read, it competes well and at a decent price point.
    It seems like a good fit given your requirements, imo.

16. TheLink

TheLink What's a Dremel?

Allrighty, so after reading many positive reviews and comments, I went for the HP ZR24w 24" from www.morecomputers.co.uk for £322 !

Thanks for your help :thumb:

17. damo_kb8

damo_kb8 What's a Dremel?

this is a handy thread as i was gonna ask the same question, as i need a new HD monitor to take advantage of my new PC/blue-ray drive, someone recomended me this: Hanns.G HZ281HPB 28" True HD Widescreen LCD Monitor, which looks good for the price, or the Acer GD245HQbid 23.6" (3D)??

18. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Damo, do you intend to use it as a normal monitor too? The only real issues with the Hanns G is that its pixel pitch is larger (a 24" monitors resolution on a 28" screen) but also I think it's a TN Film panel so you wont get the best quality colours from your Blu films as it's a 6bit panel.

If its just physical size you're after then the resolution isn't an issue though. The 23" Acer is also a TN Film panel so you'll still have the less colours/dithering problems. Actually if you are looking at the 23" screen and size isnt everything, then grab a HP ZR24w 24" like TheLink just did. It's and S-IPS panel so you'll get better colours. It isn't wide gamut like the H-IPS panels we were talking about earlier but that won't be an issue really.

Last edited: 30 May 2010
  19. damo_kb8

damo_kb8 What's a Dremel?

ah i see, i would want it for games and films, would like the fast response for gaming and maybe even 120hz to give 3D a try, but i wouldnt mind having a wider viewing area for the films, would you think it be best me just buying a HD LCD TV instead?

20. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Ah okay. If you do want the 120hz to try out 3d then you're certainly looking for the true 120hz of a monitor rather than a hdtv. Most of the tv's you see that do motion clarity stuff (100hz, 200hz, etc) do it by adding in extra frames to make the motion smoother. I've read on a couple of forums (cant find links atm) that people have noticed worse lag as a result of the processing time to add in these extra frames.

Without spending a fortune you're probably gonna have to go with a TN panel if you want the 120hz. There a few 1680X1050 120hz screens but I've only seen a couple of screens with 1080. The Acer above is one of them, there's also the ViewSonic V3D241wm-LED and the LG W2363D coming out soon. All 3 are 1920X1080 so you're set for Blu Ray and 3d gaming.

On a side note, if you're thinking about 3d film watching do a bit of research as some of the 120hz monitors don't work with the 3d active-shutter glasses (as far as I know you need the strobbing LED backlight for that).

Are you looking to buy now? From what I've read online there are a bunch of 120hz monitors coming out later this year so you might be better off sitting tight and grabbing a good deal when the 120hz price-war starts :)

Last edited: 31 May 2010