1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Are we Ready for 3TB Hard Disks?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 1 Jun 2010.

1. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Doesn't matter how low the fail rates go. As the number of total sectors in an array increases, the higher the total number of possible bad sectors. Kinda like a lottery, albeit one that you don't want to win. The more tickets you buy, the more likely you'll win. Even when the chances are 1 in a billion.

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

What M$ really needs to do is make a slick way of installing the core OS files (C:\windows\*) on a flash drive (32GB should suffice (lol, my windows folder is 19GB)) and everything else on a mechanical drive, all the while making it appear to be a single seamless HD (should be easy, as iirc ntfs partitions can be mounted as a folder).

3. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

For those of you going "but who needs that kind of space!", just try working with HD 1080p video and 18MP raw images. I'm not even talking about professional work here, just the odd project here and there or personal work. 1 TB will last you about a week if you're lucky, and even a good 8TB RAID5 setup will start to seem small once you begin racking up the projects. I'm in the process of getting a rig setup for a long personal project, and I might just duplicate my 8TB setup from home for the road just to make sure I don't have storage issues. Now that being said.... booting off anything bigger than 500GB is just stupid and a waste of space. Get yourself a SSD already!

4. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Most of them also say the same thing about UnknownLobster's Black Dwarf NAS, so just ignore them.

5. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

If they are saying the problem isnt the density for the platters, but the implementation of the use of the space. Why not simply build a drive that thinks its two drives? Think of dual GPU's and you'll understand what I mean. I am sure that it could be done, its just a matter of multi disk management on a single drive. I would have no issue buying a single drive and having two 'drives' in My Computer. Anyone up for 4tb drives? :)

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm working as a graphics-designer and I've only accumulated some 100GB of material over the last 5 years, since I've started my own little agency.
    Those 100GB include all project-files aswell as all raw picture-files I'll add and some Photoshop-files have well over 100MB sometimes.

Sure, If you're going to save those 18MP-photos in RAW, then you'll have som 50MB-files, but compressed as JPG they're down to some 2MB.

Video is another question for sure...

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Most Dells from the past year or so have had UEFI BIOS's (or at least all the one's I've been playing with at work). Also, GPT works fine for non boot disks on 2k3 x64 and vista/Win7 x64 for me.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

I dare to doubt that.
    That's a huuuuuuuuuuge stack of DVD+R's you're talking about.

2048GB in 4,7GB chunks (using a chunk optimizer software) = 436 DVD's :D

A backup would cost you...(let's be generous and say 10 min each) about 73 hours. :thumb:

9. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

windows still knows it's one disk, so i doubt this would solve the 2tb limit

10. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

What you need to look at is the BER, or Bit Error Rate. This is usually buried deep within the specifications of the drive itself, but it's the claimed chance (by the manufacturer) of having an un-recoverable error somewhere in the disk (be it the SATA controller, cache, spindle, etc.) and thus a failed read/write.

See this ZDNet article for a better explanation of how it affects you. What you'll notice is that the BER's are usually an order of magnitude better than the example in that article. However, even if you want to ignore it on that fact - you need to wonder if a) the manufacturer was correct and b) if you want to take that chance that they're wrong, even if you're willing to risk the odds of an error being significantly higher the closer that you get to the theoretical limit.

Interesting article! I wasn't ruling-out the chance that it could be done, but I knew Windows wouldn't be able to do it by itself. Always hilarious when Linux does a better job of fixing/adjusting Windows than Windows. :)

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

easy: make an unattended install disk.

i did it with my install and it's working perfectly. a bit fiddly but still very nice.

Linux distro's install method are preferred, there's a root and a usr can be installed in separate drive. all done very easily through installer.

12. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

also nothing prevents you from installing programs somewhere else then program files folder.
    I keep all my games + steam on a separate drive. I never lose that stuff when I reinstall windows.

but is there anything else to discuss about 3TB drives now?

13. Tele1952

Tele1952 What's a Dremel?

This is rather farcical but do you think one day they will release a 1 Petabyte Hard Disk?

14. GMX09

GMX09 Frequent Tweaker

I'm about to order a 1.5TB but that's all I'm going to need for the next few years or so. Whenever my HDD gets full I erase stuff for the lulz.

So, I think the answer to the question "are you ready for 3TB HDD's" is no in my case.

15. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

i dont think theres any need for concern here. If and when they come out will cost twice as much as a 2x2TB capacity... Yes you lose one space in your tower, but if your so concerned about storage, your tower will be using all the bays for hard drives anyway!

16. uSlackr

uSlackr What's a Dremel?

And yet you offer no alternative.

17. uSlackr

uSlackr What's a Dremel?

Indeed, but I think he was suggesting you do so on a drive you plan to discard...

18. uSlackr

uSlackr What's a Dremel?

Of course we've said that with 1GB drives and 160s. Time moves on and yesterday's improbables become today's likelies...

19. uSlackr

uSlackr What's a Dremel?

Can you explain the common sense behind your choice of 500GB & 700GB? I've always used MUCH smaller partitions for the OS.

20. dispie

dispie What's a Dremel?

thanks bit tech for this great information, I did not realize that going over 3Tb would be so much of a problem.

this gives a lot to think about sins 1 Tb disk run full in 1/2 a year and in mirror raids they cost a lot of energie, So am already switching then for 2 Tb but that just means the qualitie was upgraded from the back up so they run full in 3/4 of a year.

also looking at the future
    I think with the demand of high qualitie downloadable content like 1080p HD movies that take up a small 6 Gb tot 12 Gb and the comming of 3d movies that the size wil increase.

So the demand for larger disk wil also increase.

Tags: Add Tags