1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Na'ir al Saif

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 3 Feb 2010.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Superb work and design as always. You skill always makes me feel inferior but then again I haven't had the chance to try anything like this before, I am highly looking forward to finding an excuse for a scratch build :D.

Just a quick question, do you get your alu locally or from a retailer like Bunnings or Mitre 10, I am finding it a little hard to source it where I am.

2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks mate, I've found a local supplier not far away in Dandenong. Action Aluminium.
    Bunnings and Mitre 10 are way over priced, at least double the price. :eeek:

3. The boy 4rm oz

Thanks mate, I will have to have a better look around.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have been reading bit -tech daily for years, ever since i have had an office job really as there is nothing better to do in moments of down time, i have never really seen anything that i have thought, ah i must post about this....

Until i saw this build! I have been watching it for a while now, and i just want to say I love it! and your craftsmanship. I have been wanting to make something now for a while, just having ideas in my head but up until recently I have always dismissed these ideas as fantasy, but seeing what you achieve with so little (equipment etc, not effort!) really gives me inspiration to at least have a go with some of my ideas, and as i'm moving in a month to near my parents house, and thus near my Dad's work space (barn's, shed's and powertools) I think I will finally give something a shot.

Thanks oldnewby for being awesome and truely an inspiration.

5. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

I love that little detail; just by taking the time to fillet those two edges around the fan housing contours really shows your level of perfectionism (Yeah, it's a word, I said it). As usual, amazing, I love this log.

6. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Bit-tech should come up with a medal system for logs like this. For example, you would more than likely get the Perfectionist Medal, or the Outstanding Eye For Detail Medal. :thumb:

I love the aluminum cut-outs you've been making to hide the cables. Looks awesome.

7. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Would he deserve the oldnewby-award? An award so coveted for the modders attention to detail and ridiculous amount of man hours spent designing and fabricating a case with such skill it baffles even Michelangelo?

Also the golden file award, because i swear you file more than any other person, ever.

8. Jampotp

Jampotp What's a Dremel?

I'm loving the fan surround detail :thumb:
    Oldnewby, do you do the anodising yourself (with acid bath etc) or do you send it to a shop? And if you do it yourself, where do you get your acid from?
    Thanks

Edit: ignore second part of message - idiot me missed a page:wallbash:

Last edited: 2 Jun 2010
  9. Attila

@Margo Baggins,MrWizard,ModaRobby,Autti.

Haha, thank you very much. :) Hmm, gold file you say.....:hehe:

I wasn't in the door at work for five minutes last night when Steve Ferreto
    walked over and handed me these.........

[​IMG]

I only gave him a line drawing (elevation) to work from and I was very pleasantly
    surprised seeing them for the first time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Resting one of the struts on top I could see that some modification was in order.

[​IMG]

So after some filing and shaping, drilling and tapping one of the struts look, imo,
    very nice.

[​IMG]

Put this one back on the chassis, and positioned the other three pads under the
    still unmodified struts to get a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I better go and fix the other three struts now. :D

If you go back a page you will find info on Anodising. :thumb:

10. aeidau

aeidau Industrial Designer

Top notch work as usual newby :D

11. The boy 4rm oz

Those feet are gorgeous, please tell me that you aren't going to anodize the pads, keep them silver, they look great :D.

12. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

And not to mention that you have a family, a job, a life, and you still produce these amazing results! I love the case feet, very nice touch. The fan housings and the feet offset the angular look of your case.

13. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

Great work on the feet. :)
    The rounded ends look much better then before.

And I love your shots where you're playing with the focus of the lens. :D

p.s. Here is so much inspiration in this Thread (and of cause in your old thread). :thumb: Continue with this great quality of modding.

14. Jampotp

Jampotp What's a Dremel?

This is probably the look you're after - but can I suggest that you round off the edges (of the bit you've just altered) a bit more - to fit in with the circular shape of the foot?

Stunning work as usual :jawdrop:

15. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Yeah, I think that might look nicer.

Or perhaps lower the whole thing by cutting off the bottom part along the black line:
    [​IMG]

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Awesome as always Attila my friend!

Also what he said ^^^

17. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

I love how the pictures go from the older hard edges on the legs straight to the rounded softer edges.

The legs definitely look better with those rounded edges. :thumb:

18. Attila

Thanks mate. :)

Yeah, I'll have to think about that. :thumb:

Thanks Robby. :)

Thanks BD, yes I'm trying to make the photo's a bit more interesting. Something I
    learned from reading XionX2's worklog. ;) Of course it's pretty easy when you can
    select your focus point and use one shot AF, then recompose the shot.:hip:

Thanks, I have pic's of the filing down process but didn't include them. This shows the
    original plan......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I pulled up short just to see what it looks like. No doubt I will probably arrive
    at the original plan, but I have to move slowly here, just don't want to make one or
    more of these struts all over again.

Thanks AnG3L. :thumb:

Thanks mate. :)

19. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

I haven't been at Bit tech in a while and I gotta say, you've made excellent progress since day one. Extreme attention to detail would be an understatement for this build. I'm 98% certain you'll be at least in the running for Mod of the Year for 2010. One more thing: That trick with using the old graphics card as a back bone for a HDD for brilliant. I think I may do something like that some time with an SSD. :D

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Beautiful work Attila, this mod is
    [​IMG] Inducing :D

Wish I could find it within myself to pull off sweet perfection like this but thats what the future is for lol :D, look forward to seeing the finished piece m8, it's great reading this :thumb:.