1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The (LAN)Party is over for DFI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 3 Jun 2010.

1. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

ECS seems to be on the up as well!

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Biostar seems to be aimed at the budget consumer - it's boards are like dirt cheap compared to others, which are often twice or even thrice the price of an equivalent Biostar board.

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Fortunately they do make a few really good boards too and plus cheap can only be good.

4. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

the Biostar I45 & 45HP are still some of the best overclocking motherboards - to the point that CustomPc had it on their best hardware section for around 6months or so. Im postive they still have the boards lying around somewhere at the office. they do have interest in the UK. Support is still lacking but its slowly getting better, if they had no interest in the UK, they wouldnt ship their boards over here

5. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Aw no :(. *stares fondly at DK P45-T2RS *

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

That's true - I'm just wondering where their profit margins go to! Might be why they have lesser hoo hah than other brands.

7. kempez

kempez modding again!

Aww man, miss my DFI-NF4 SLI-D :(

RIP DFI LANParty. I got some beast overclocks out of my DFI boards and once you read about a million guides and fiddled with them for a good few hours, you could get them stable at very high clocks.

8. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Was Oscar the guy who programmed all the DFI BIOS's one of the guys who left?

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Same here. I had many's a socket A LANParty board when I was starting out in the modding community. Now I feel kinda guilty for not buying any LANParty products recently :(

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

I always bought the cheaper non-LANParty boards and modded them to hell and back. I remember the NF2 Infinity boards hitting upwards of 280MHz FSB without masses of cooling, which was pretty amazing back in those days

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

So what about:
    # Asrock
    # EVGA
    # Foxconn

12. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Noooooooooooooooooo..............................................

i'll always miss you :(

have a good rest, LP... you will be missed.

13. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster What's a Dremel?

14. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Man, Oskar Wu is just brand poision isn't he? First Abit, now DFI...

15. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Seems a shame to put the DFI Lanparty brand go, and not sell it on. It would be a good brand for someone like FoxConn or Biostar to have picked up. Ah well, they're gone now. RIP Lanparty. You shall be missed.

16. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

And He's staying put at DFI in their Industrial division.

17. alwayssts

alwayssts What's a Dremel?

And that is a HUGE shame. Yes, he is the one that worked on BIOSes, amongst other board design AFAIK. The man has talent that was meant for enthusiast products. He's a legend in that arena. I really hope he reconsiders and goes somewhere...anywhere...that will make such products. To me, DFI has always been Oskar Wu. Before that, Abit.

IIRC he worked on both the long-famed ABIT NF7-S and DFI NF2 boards, not to mention the NF4 products, etc. It's worth mentioning it is an end of an era because ABIT is also gone. Those two companies really did spark the innovation in enthusiast motherboard features/overclocking.

Gotta say though, although this is sad, CRACK REPORTING! Over the past couple days, Bit-tech has put out some great articles, both interesting and relevant to what I, and I imagine other people, want to know. Keep up the great work!

18. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

:( bad but could have guessed from the dwindling product range tbh.

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Why all the cloak and dagger BS though? Why not just come out and say "We're losing money on LANParty, so we're restructuring".. companies do it all the time.

Weird.

Anyhoo... sad news. I have had a few LANParty boards. I was quite the fanboi don't you know :) They were not the most reliable boards, but somehow that gave them character. A bit like my Mustang.. it's pretty badly built, has a crude gearbox and an annoying rattle behind the dash, where as my 7 year old Nissan Micra is flawless. I still know which I'd rather be driving though.

I love my P6T, but it's too well behaved. I have no excuse to go inside my PC and mess with it any more.

Probably rose tinted glasses need removing, but I miss my highly strung, tired and emotional LANParty NF4 board.

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

RIP LANParty, although I have never personally used them, I know them by reputation.

Now that another division has bitten the dust..Although to this day, ABIT's loss was pretty striking too.

Tags: Add Tags