1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis 2 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jun 2010.

1. flukielukie

flukielukie The Cool Guy

Hope the AI is a bit better, and the stealth mechanic is improved upon.

I do like the fact that its in a city as that environment is very different from the first games.

2. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Call me cynical, but it is looking like Halo with a nanosuit right now. I'm not impressed.

3. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Disagree, graphics aren't as good as crysis 1, and on console its not close to God of War 3, uncharted 2 territory.

4. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

jesus :eeek: thats a first

6. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

One thing's for sure, they'll earn far more money from this than anything they've ever release just on the PC. Just hope they don't go the stack 'em high and sell em cheap route of other software houses.

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Fary Cry was fun when fighting mercs, boring and frustrating when fighting Trigens.
    Crysis was great fun when you were fighting the KPA and it was a dreadful bore when fighting the Aliens (apart from the dramatic setpieces the first time around).
    Knowing that there's combat with the Aliens right from the start in Warhead put me off ever buying it.

When I re-play Crysis, I play up to the point where I have to fight Aliens, then I quit out of boredom. Every time.

I'm far from the only person to hold this opinion - Plenty of people have expressed it about both Far Cry and Crysis and when you see people recording videos of their fun in Crysis (Gunsmith aside) it's almost always footage of fighting against the KPA.

Why do Crytek continue to **** up their games halfway through with enemies that take stupid amounts of firepower to kill and which discard any semblance of the tactical gameplay built up in the first half of the game?
    If they're trying to achieve some kind of contrast between making the player's abilities and weapons feel powerful in the first half of the game and making them feel entirely useless in the latter half then they certainly achieve it - but why?
    Given Crytek's track-record and the fact that Crysis 2 is obsessed with pitting the Nanosuited player against aliens again means that I have zero interest in this game and zero faith in Crytek's abilities to make it anything other than a frustration-fest or a Halo-clone.

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ive yet to see any mind-blowing-eye-candies screenshot so far, and its pretty much the only thing i expect from Crysis series... so.... meh....

but either way, looks like this year's holiday season is a good time to buy a new vgacard....

9. Loot3r

Loot3r What's a Dremel?

you guys are mistaken, its not that the weapons were underpowered, it was that you can only carry 2 primary weapons and there is ammo every where! I never get the urgancy of running out of ammo and saving my gass ammo for a boss.... i miss days like that, it required you to plan!

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

They know most people didn't like the aliens in the original Crysis, but that was because they used a different AI which wasn't fully developed, so they were completely different to fight than the KPA.

In Crysis 2 though, they're using the same AI for the aliens as they are for the humans, but just make certain tweaks to it so they behave differently. That way they don't have to program an AI for both, and it seems like they've put more effort into making them fun to fight where you're able to use the same strategies against them as you would with humans.

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Be that as it may, my point still stands that I have no faith in Crytek to make it fun. :(

The Aliens could have the most intelligent, exciting and realistic AI conceivable but if they're going to take a full magazine of rounds to the head before dropping it just isn't going to be fun and Crytek's handling of non-human opponents in previous games suggests that this is what it will be like.

Maybe Crytek get it completely right and manage to make it fun, but my hopes aren't high.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Well will see

I expect another 3-5 fps on my 5870 at 1920 x 1080.

Doesn't need to look good to perform crappy gta4 anybody

Mind you we may have the 6870 by then and all will be well

no mension of console Rez 480 I guess 720 at a push

Worrying that cards in both consoles are 3-4 years outta date

13. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

The graphics look great to me. I bet it looks far better in motion, with smoke billowing out of buildings and stuff. I think it will give all the eye candy anyone wants. I thought the first Crysis looked brilliant even when you were running around the aircraft carrier at the end of the game. There was no jungle at that point either but it still looked great, with high def textures and stuff everywhere.

To me though the issue is gameplay. I got bored of run n gun shooters ages ago, so I always hope for something more. I suspect like the first game it will just be 'ok' in that department. What I would really like is for someone else to make a game using the same engine. Preferably a squad based shooter like Hidden & Dangerous but with all the modern bits.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Be aware, the images in this article are provided by Electronic Arts - they may not simply be screenshots from the game.

15. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

This better be true - I do hope that Crytek would push the boundaries more.

16. Indybird

Indybird Why are you reading this?

First, I worry about this simplification (and thats what it really is) of the suit modes. I agree that they could've made them smoother, but combining them? The only way to balance that out is to make them less effective in each aspect.

Second, I agree with the alien/trigen comment; all they have is more health and do more damage. Which means you waste ammo and time fighting them. Now I liked the concept of the Crysis aliens, because I hadn't seen much like them before, but I feel they didn't pull of their gameplay right.

Third, are those humanoid-shaped aliens in that screenshot?

Fourth, can we have an Humans vs. Aliens multiplayer mode plz!?

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i just hope the pacing remains the same and isnt ADHD'd for cod-tards

18. hbeevers

hbeevers Yes, it can play crysis!

I think this will be a great game, the graphics should improve on the overall, in crysis 1 things like smaller objects were always a bit ignored in terms of graphics i.e cups, briefcases, chairs etc.
    Also i'm hoping for some gameplay improvements, having to speed up to an enemy only to then change to power mode kind of breaks up the combat a bit.
    I'm also hoping it'll be really well coded to allow more people with mid range pc's to run it, although i can run crysis 1 on high so am hoping for at least medium settings on this one.
    Another thought, as it's in the city with somewhat limited view distance (due to skyscrapers) presumably it will run better than the first one?

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

To be honest, as long as it's moar Crysis, I'll be happy.

20. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

That's a shame because it isn't half & half like Crysis, in fact there's a quite a lot of game before the freeze and quite a lot of KPA after it.

Tags: Add Tags