1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other RC helicopters!

Discussion in 'General' started by chrisb2e9, 16 May 2010.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

haha at all the comments.
    i got word back from the retailer. they are going to send me a replacement part and offered to let me put other parts(i pay for the extras) and its all paid shipping.
    so going to get some commonly broken stuff and then move on.

question for the floor: my reciever has a connection to plug into the computer and use it in a flight sim. anyone know if just any cable will work? as long as the connector is the right type. i dont see why not....

2. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

When you buy a sim you just get the appropriate connection for your controller.

It's just Futaba / Spektrum / whatever. If yours is a odd Chinese controller then yeah, you just need to work out what the connector is. There are a few different types, but they're really basic, shouldn't be difficult to work out.

3. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Ordered myself a king3 today. Just installed the free FMS simulator ready for when it arrives. What's peoples opinions on the cheap wooden blades from Hong Kong that are on ebay? 5 pairs are going for around a tenner delivered.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

In my opinion they aren't worth the plastic they come in. I bought good CF blades for mine and they have taken the odd bad knock and not broken. Well worth the money.

5. Unicorn

From your flying in those videos it looks like you can handle them just fine :thumb:

6. chrisb2e9

I feel like a moron....

I've been messing with the thing all day. first chance to do so now that everything is fixed and ready to go. I'm sure that everyone here knows how a helicopter needs the tail to counter the spin form the main blades.
    The king 3 has a gyro that will apply pitch changes to the tail blades if the heli spins and you haven't put in an input to make it do so.
    My heli would spin like you would not believe. i finally noticed the servo to the tail moving in the wrong direction... the gyro was set backwards. causing the heli to spin in the direction that it was already spinning in. flick a switch, and bravo, i had it an inch off the ground in my bedroom in no time and it was working great.

Going to take it outside soon. too windy right now. maybe tomorrow. and i need a place to do it too...

7. Unicorn

Don't feel like too much of a moron. When I was new to all this and first got my King 2 out to fly, it had a faulty gyro, which obviously confused the heck out of me and made me think that I was trying to fly it completely wrong or that I hadn't set it up right. A day of reading RC forums and I knew what was wrong. Replaced the gyro a few days later and had it flying in no time :thumb:

8. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

That's me just trying to hover...:worried:

I've had loads of crashes from many many dumb things I've done.

There was the time I was doing those things where you go into a tailslide, hit full rudder, and recover just before you hit the ground. (I think they're called windmills or something, can't remember). I didn't plan on going so fast that my tail servo ran out of torque... Into a cricket strip. That was pretty nasty.

Flown into a couple of cables. Not pretty.

The usual too fast too low, turbulance, bang. Pretty much any dumb, expensive, needless mistakes - I've done them.

And the time I had a dog chasing my nitro and thought it would be easier just to park it in a tree. That cost £300. Annoying mainly because I know the old fart who owned the dog was standing behind me thinking it was funny... better than killing the dog and the helicopter. I probably could have autoed it and just stopped the blades a few feet off the ground. Although, probably still a dead dog to be fair.

Oh, and I blew a hole in a piston, 2 foot off the ground, inverted. I autoed that one down though. :smug:

I've had one of them. Don't pop the heli into the air after you've just been caught in a massive downpour.

TBH everyone sets their gyro up wrong at first. That video literally has 3 pages of comments telling me I set my gyro up wrong, and me saying "no, it had water in it", and them saying reverse your servo direction, and me saying "no, it had water in it".

Content edit:

Alan Szabo before he got overly technical. Quality vid.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2010
  9. chrisb2e9

Apparently i'm not a moron after all. the belt that connects to the tail shaft was backwards. the tail was spinning the wrong way so i flipped the belt, the rotor spins the right way now and I put the gyro back to "normal"

Everything is as it should be now!

10. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

around 3min, he is juggling that little chopper like its suspended on a fishing line. what is hell is keeping it in the air:confused: (the helicopter blades are not spinning! or is this an optical illusion? (like when the rotations per second equals the frames per second of the movie?)

11. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Worth visiting your local model shop if you're looking for advice. Also, try searching on Google - when I first got mine I found some great tutorials on there which teach you all the basics. When you've mastered that you should try an RC plane :)

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I started getting into RC helicopters last year but havent touched it in ages due to moving house and other constraints. I went the masochistic techy route and bought all the parts to make a compy 300 from Hong Kong. It was probably a bit too much of a learning curve to build one from scratch but i managed and it flew quite well until i bought a 'better' tail assembly that did not work and i've never got round to putting the old tail back on. With the compy set up perfectly and with no wind it will just sit and hover with no correction.

When i have the time i'll try getting into it again.

13. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I've never really had any luck with shops or clubs.

If you find yourself in the same boat then:

Helifreak Is the best newbie forum out there.

Runryder Is the most knowledgeable, but filled with angry little flamebait people.

RC Groups Is a massive general RC forum, but if someone has flown or modded your helicopter, ever, it'll be posted there.

Exactly that. :)

14. chrisb2e9

I tried a shop in town the other day to find a screw. one screw, or one close to it. the best the guy could offer me was a pack of stuff for 14 bucks. that had one screw in it. that might fit.

I have a multi pack of different screws on my way from an online store with everything that I will ever need, for a lot less money.
    I think the online world is the way to go for rc stuff. unless you buy the heli from a store and then they will support that exact model.

edit:

flying in even light wind when new is apparently bad.

[​IMG]

need some carbon fiber blades

Last edited: 5 Jun 2010
  15. realfakesnake

realfakesnake lost in the wilderness

Had a sneeze the other week while trying to master nose in, did nose in allright straight in to the ground.

Cost just over £150 to get it in the air again a trex 600n, not a happy bunny.
    Be prepared what ever you fly you will crash, so factor in the price of spare parts.

16. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

You see, to me, thats not what a helicopter does and so just seems stupid. Its impressive, but stupid and pointless. :D

I'm guessing the blades must spin the opposite way for it to stay upside down?

17. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

QFT, that helicopter must have a massive amount of power to ping around in the air like that too:jawdrop:.

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

:jawdrop:

Just an illusion. Notice how the head speed changes with rapid movements.

19. realfakesnake

realfakesnake lost in the wilderness

No the blades do not spin the other way around to fly inverted, you change blade pitch fom pos to neg pitch.:D

20. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

It's actually a lot of fun, and unbelievably difficult. Just hovering right side up with the nose pointed towards you is more than the majority of people can manage. If you don't like having fun you can always fly scale, that's ok.

RC helicopters have been able to fly upside down for quite a while now. Basically the blades have a symmetrical cross-section, and are able to deflect positively and negatively.

Real helicopters are also set up to allow a slight negative pitch as it's required when flying in turbulent air or auto-rotating.

Anyway, nothing beats the sound of doing inverted backwards circuits with an electric. Oh, it's just so nice.

You get used to flying in wind, you're basically going to have to. With a 450 size you should be able to fly in 20-25 mph winds.

However the main problem you're going to find is the dirty air that used to be nice cushiony ground effect. After a while you can scoot about low and fast, but to start with you need to keep it 5ft or so off the deck to stop the ground sucking it in.

Remember though any distance you fly downwind can be a real pain to fly upwind again. A real pain...

BTW carbon fibre blades break just as well, and they're a lot more expensive if you buy a set that are actually worth flying.

I'll regale you all with the time I crashed my t-rex 80ft up a tree sometime, when I find the pics...

It's a .90, so around 3-4hp depending on fuel and tune.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2010