1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The (LAN)Party is over for DFI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 3 Jun 2010.

1. alpha0ne23

alpha0ne23 What's a Dremel?

My main rig uses a DK P45 T2RS Plus and its been an amazing board from day one

I really hope this is not the end for DFI

2. dispie

dispie What's a Dremel?

This sucks, I've been trying to get my hands on a DFI board of a long time.

But here in Holland it's just not for sale anywhere, or they have 2-3 of them and you have to be the first to see it cause they would be sold out on the same day that they would be put on a site.

This is really sad news but maybe some of them go work for other main board company's so we will see there genius setups back

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I have a LANParty 680i motherboard that has recently died on me for the second time. I actually went to the site yesterday to see their new offerings, I guess this explains why there weren't any.

4. roadie

roadie What's a Dremel?

RIP Epox, abit and now DFI. The motherbard industry has been showing signs of being dominated by two or 3 big players for a number of years now. Of course we should all be familiar with what reduced competition can mean for prices and innovation...

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Didn't stop Intel from releasing Nehalem.

6. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

# Asrock is the semi-independent budget brand of ASUS. I wouldn't expect any premium boards from them while ASUS has any influence.
    # EVGA has just had their motherboard engineering team gutted by Sapphire. Maybe we'll get some new Sapphire boards, or EVGA will rebuild their engineering team.
    # Foxconn has for some time been rumoured to be leaving the enthusiast market and going back to OEM and budget boards because sales have been terrible. They just haven't been able to capture enthusiast "mind-share".

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nooooo! I'm definitely keeping a firm grip on this board then. :p

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The Epox team went to EVGA, of which some of has gone to Sapphire. I've heard everything from "just two people" (EVGA) to "a few people" to the "whole design team" (In a phone call this afternoon) to "the whole team" (internet news).

If the design team goes and they keep the BIOS team then they can still make enthusiast boards by hiring designers. Quality BIOS guys are the hardest to hire. I don't know the extent of the loss yet, but EVGA have (apparently) been hit hard by the economy and being an Nvidia exclusive partner + high end board maker only = not selling much this last year. EVGA also laid off people in the US division too I hear, from its retail customers.

9. MHzTweaker

MHzTweaker What's a Dremel?

I had an Epox board that was top notch in the days of the AMD 3200+. My first and last DFI board was the X48 T2R LT board. While I did use this board for a while, it would not overclock my Q9450 for crap. Support did not exist from DFI. That board now sits on my shelf, a complete waste of $300 on my part. I am overjoyed and sincerely hope the rest of the company folds. I honestly do not see how DFI gained any following given my experience with them. This company deserves to die. :) 180degrees in the opposite direction is my eVGA classified 759 w/NF200 board. This is the best board I have owned since I have been using PC's and the predecessors to PC's. This PC has run 24hrs a day at 4ghz since March 2009. It would be ashamed to see eVGA lose ground because their engineering team went newbie on them. I suppose this is bound to happen to most any niche company. Remember Abit?

10. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

I'm still runnin' on my DFI NF4 lanparty SLI-DR... It's a shame they won't produce lanparty boards anymore =(

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

http://www.evga.com/about/pressrelease/default.asp?id=81

Damage control from EVGA.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

What!

If you couldn't get your Q9450 to overclock on a DFI go find the door. They require a lot of love to get going, but that's all the fun. Plus your comparing a SKT775 Q9450 to an X58 chipset and my guess is a i7 920. How is that even close to platform matching?

My first epic motherboard was my Epox 8RDA3+ which took my 2500 XP-M to a lofty 2.7GHz of serious air cooling, then if i remember the guys how designed that epic board left and went to DFI and the nforce 3 motherboard hit the market on the SKT754 AMD Athlon 64, screamer of a motherboard.

I had my first experience with a DFI nForce 3 Ultra-D (AGP+ SKT939), still got it now and that clocked my Athlon 3700+ Sandy to 3.1GHz, after that came a nforce 4 SLI-DR which took my opteron 165 dual core to a massive 3.3Ghz, FSB 366Mhz.

Now on my third DFI board and still smiling, P45-T2RS faultless 3.6Ghz on my Q6600

I heard that the X48 chipset was a bit picky with memory modules, but if your a past DFI owner you look straight to there site for recommended modules because your buying for the pure OC speed.

Also one less brand in the market means tougher pricing and we will end up with an Intel/AMD war not before long. The choice of boards right now is crap, the P6T is a good board people love them, but there is no good other choice because of the lack of competitors.

DFI lanparty disappearing has ruined my day, and someone wishing for the company to fold to dam right rude

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's an extremely harsh attitude. Did you follow any online guides? DFI BIOS' take a lot of getting used to. I personally gave the X48 T2R a recommended award because it was a fantastic motherboard, but certainly not for the faint of heart. It was also designed during the Intel 65nm era so it's likely the BIOS wasn't optimised for your CPU, which is a shame, but not unheard of. I think you missed the premium DFI and Abit days honestly.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Have to 2nd the attitude on here - problem is between keyboard and chair. The T2's were excellent overclockers of anything they could get, 45nm quads or 65nm duals and anything inbetween.

Definitely hard work though, only for those with masses of tweaking time on their hands.

15. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Makes you wonder how safe MSI are in this market? Surely if they left ASUS and Gigabyte to it the monopolies commission would have to step in? Although the computer industry is dominated by two company competition, AMD:Intel in processors, AMD:Nvidia in GPU architectures and now ASUS:Gigabyte in motherboards. Lets hope this scenario doesn't stretch to other components can anyone imagine a Sapphire:ASUS world for graphics cards or aSeagate:Samsung world of hard drives?

16. stonedsurd

+1. The P45 T2RS Plus was a pretty good board for the money on LN2 and water and did scarily awesome things on air too.

I'm never letting go if my baby :waah:

17. alpha0ne23

alpha0ne23 What's a Dremel?

And who do nubs ALWAYS blame when they cannot OC like the big boys............... :eyebrow:

18. stonedsurd

I don't know what makes you think MSI is doing badly or is likely to leave the market. They make some great boards and have decent sales.
    :D

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

MSI should do fine.

Too bad about DFI though, they were THE overclocker's motherboards, even if say Asus might have had better motherboards, records were always held by DFI, engineering of pushing the limit is their niche.

Now I wonder if Sapphire will sell motherboards again.

20. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Supposedly the engineers that left EVGA's mobo team went to Sapphire, and the rumour mill says that they'll have something early next year. Can't remember the links, sorry.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2010
Tags: Add Tags