1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics How Faster would a 5850 be over my 4870 1Gb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by montymole, 31 May 2010.

1. Cozmo87

Cozmo87 "huh hurmm!!!"

hi i runing q6600 and 8 gb ram 8800GT all overclocked, on gta it ok but not maxT but is almost,
    the pc port is buggy tho and thats why you get realy bead frame rates. was well pis... when i bourt it. so dont whaed your cash, i think rams the way to go.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

32 bit system is a thing of the past now.

I've not found anything that wont work on 64 bit since Vista, XP 64 bit was c**p.

3. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

No i am gunna spend a Grand on computer because i enjoy building new PC's and want my stepson to have some nice parts for his first custom build so to improve the performance over what i have now i will have to spend roughly £1000 and if i can get GTA 4 to run smoother then that will be a bonus, i think a 5970 with an heavly OC i7 930 etc should improve things all round

4. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

Hmmm having just looked at some parts i will have to look at a budget of £1500 unless the 5970 drops a bit in the next few months

5. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Well they obviously never benchmarked GTA4 then because the game eats video memory.

Exactly.

The 6xxx series is due in Q4 so you might want to wait for that. But if not, the 5970 would be great. With that kind of budget you should be able to crank it nicely.

6. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

i do hope so robots i will be looking at late in the year anyway My boy is getting my parts for his xmas present it will be his 1st custom build he does not know that i am gunna get him a custom case and water cooling i will post pic's and stuff when we start building it

7. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I think I read that it would be Q4 / early next year. So hopefully it doesn't spill over in to 2011. It would be great if you can wait and get the new version though. Because you could either get a cutting edge card, or you could get a top card from the current generation but for a much reduced price :)

I need to upgrade too but I don't think I can wait until Q4.

8. Akuman

Akuman Waffles

I guess if you are eager on upgrading your PC then fair enough.

However if you upgrade your memory, GTA4 should definitely have playable framerates and with a 4870 on a 22" screen.

If you are bottlenecked by your graphic card, then I don't think there are not going to be that many games on a 1920 x 1080 resolution that are pushing into unplayable frame rates on a 4870.

9. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

the ram has helped i have 4 Gb now but Akuman you are right it can play any other game apart from Crysis but i have played it already when i had 2 8800 GTX in sli so im not to bothered about that,
    There is nothing wrong with the 1GB 4870 and you can still buy them today for around £100 if you had a tight budget i think it will out perform any other GFX card you can buy around the £100 mark just goes to show how much of a con the Graphics card world is,

Yes new card's mean the makers have money to develop new technology but we the buyers dont get the performance boost we think we are paying for
    My Pc would do me for a while longer but it is fun building new one plus i get to see al my stuff going to good use i think my stepson will be able max out world of warcraft and have a much better PC than his mates so that justify s my new one

10. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

Fair enough.

You're gonna need more than a grand though if you want a 5970 and an overclocked 930 :)