1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Corsair Obsidian 800D Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Necrow, 5 Jun 2010.

1. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

My trusted P182 was beginning to show its age and overheat a little in the last few warm days we've had. With my Q6600 oc'd to 3.7 GHz and my GTX216 oc'd to 626, 1350, 1053 the P182 was beginning to steam. Even though the P182 is a nice midi tower case I longed for the days when I used to enjoy the additional space in a big tower case.

Side shot of P182 with custom window
    [​IMG]

Some of the old watercooling, a Gigabyte combined reservoir and pump with a Danger Den CPU block and a slightly modified Gigabyte mounting plate.
    [​IMG]

So after looking at cases for a long time it was down to the big two.
    The Silverstone TJ07

[​IMG]

or the
    Corsair Obsidian 800D

[​IMG]

So I made my initial design with colour inspiration from a few places;
    http://www.millennium-records.nl/plaatjes/shirts/52436.jpg
    http://www.50klicks.com
    http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/cfs.../BFBC2-Onslaught-wallpaper_5F00_1920x1200.jpg

1 week later a big package arrived :)
    [​IMG]

It needs inspecting by the Wheaten Terror
    [​IMG]

Unboxed so lets have a look inside
    [​IMG]

another package arrived :)
    [​IMG]

The XSPC Delta CPU block, I ordered the new watercooling parts from www.highflow.nl because a lot of UK based companies won't ship to Ireland or instead want to ride you on shipping charges.

Old chassis taken apart and parts cleaned and prepped. New CPU block installed.
    [​IMG]

New barbs fitted as well
    [​IMG]

PSU moved from old case - cable routing in the 800D is superb.
    [​IMG]

A few new parts - the 800D comes with standard corsair 140mm fans, but my design needed new fans, so I ordered a set of the Ximatek XLF-F1453 140mm fans.

[​IMG]

Assembley was straight forward, new 2 x 120 Rad - but may change to a 3 x 120 as the 800D has enough space for it.
    [​IMG]

New dual bay Reservoir and pump
    [​IMG]

Tubing and anti-kink coils, Feser-one coolant installed.
    [​IMG]

30 minute power run to test for leaks
    [​IMG]

Some last minute tinkering after moving from kitchen table to games room
    [​IMG]

Start it up
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with the upgrade in chassis and cooling and so far the temps are great as the airflow in the case is fantastic. The 140mm fans are quite and push through a good 65 cubic feet of air each minute. There is loads of room for additional watercooling which is planned, but I am finding it difficult to locate a full coverage block for the GTX 260 216. The case is expensive but unlike the P182 I can't see myself needing to modify the case or even to change it for a long time.

Ok off now to log in for a game of BC2
    [​IMG]

2. dembones

dembones What's a Dremel?

Nice build, how loud or quiet are those xigmatek fans?

3. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

The orange fans and tubing is a nice touch. Looks good.

4. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Very nice job - and great to see Eddie doing some work..
    Awesome case choice mate.
    Watercooling is next on my list.
    Love the Orange and it gives me and idea.
    Need something to cool these 470's down.
    Guess your using one of the empty Bay for your Res.

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

Same case, res/pump and cpu block! *high five* :hehe:

How did you find fitting the res/pump was, did you have to cut the tabs/shelves down in the cd bays to get it to fit. I did, and a lot of others also did for most dual bay pumps/res. Other than that, I found the case amazing to work with, such a silly amount of room.

6. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

They're relatively quiet mate, I use speed fan to control their speed and adjust when necessary. I still have the Corsair ones in case I decide to go back to all black.

Thanks fella

Sure falla, I'm using the XSPC dual bay reservoir and pump in one. It's a really nice piece.

*high five*

At first I thought there was something I was missing but I just sorted of wiggled it into place, it's a bit tight so win't be coming back out for a long time. I'm stuck looking for something to cool the GTX260 216, if anyone knows of a block please let me know.

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I love this case. It's a beaut for watercooling. My next build will be based on a 700D.

You've done a great job, very neat and understated.

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

I was debating just forcing my res in, but it really didn't want to go, I saw on the corsair forums that a few people did with other ones. I didn't have the balls to risk it tbh.

I am debating getting the blue xigmateks myself, the 14cm ones look fantastic. I will then either match them with the xigmateks on my radiator, or some of those nice 9 blade black and white arctic cooling fans.

9. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

No one asked this but where the hell did that wicked looking doll come from?

10. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

Thanks fella, much appreciated.

Well I was also considering a colour change in the future and with a change of the fan colours and the coolant a new look can be easily done. I'm sure my next colour will be a bright green :)

That is Eddie from Iron Maiden. I got him years ago as a set - there is one on Amazon here but it is very expsnsive now :jawdrop: Here he is dressing as a ninja lol

[​IMG]

11. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Hahaha awesome. Megadeth, Iron Maiden and Metallica are on my favorites list.