1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other About Dell Streak

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystvearn, 6 Jun 2010.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Hi,

I just noticed that it was just released in UK this weekend. Exclusive to O2 & Carphonewarehouse.
    http://www.o2.co.uk/dellstreak

Few things I don't get is the pricing. The PAYG on O2 is £399 but on CPWH is £429. CPWH has to pay premium to sell this? It runs android 1.6 which I don't like. I would like it to see it running FroYo. Any chances you can upgrade it yourself? I heard that some phones, was it Samsung or HTC which did not allow users to upgrade their Android after first stating they might upgrade it.

I am very keen to get this thing as I think this could replace my laptop and my mobile phone. I rarely use internet on the go, but when I do use it its more about places of interest and IM rather than real work. Anyone bought it? Can share their thoughts. I think I'll wait until Froyo is bounded with this unit before buying it. Not sure if it will fit nicely in the pocket of my jeans though...:D

2. hyper_somniac

hyper_somniac What's a Dremel?

- CPWH is selling it on behalf of O2 so they have to sell at a higher price to produce a margin.
    - I'm sure you can gain root access to upgrade it, but someone would have to provide the right tools and customised ROM for it. So if it was popular enough, I'm sure someone would spend the time to do just that.
    - It was Samsung that said they would upgrade in their adverts, but never did.
    - Can probably get a bigger and more capable tablet for £400 in a few months, as you say, its not like the Streak can fit into a pocket anyway.

3. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Having a portable screen may come in handy.

So a possibility Dell might not upgrade their android 1.6 to 2.2.

I am looking a way to sync my Google Calendar to my SE C510, but M phone explorer does not work that well.

As of now, I still have about 10 months on my current contract, so no chance of me jumping to any new phone anytime soon. Maybe I can buy out my contract?

I have heard that all other mobile companies were so desperate loosing their customers to O2 when they had the iphone exclusivity that they offered the users outrageous discount. The keyword that time was "iphone". Maybe I can say "streak" :p

That £400 phone PAYG or £640 with £25x24 month contract is the same as my £10x24 contract. £240=the cost of the text, call, net usage...

4. steel_viking

steel_viking What's a Dremel?

5. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I might as well wait until Froyo comes standard. Don't want another samsung tragedy

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is a Dell though...

7. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

So, what about Dell?

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just, urg...

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Also at CPW it is sold unlocked where as with o2 it will be locked to there network. But you can get it cheaper if you take a top up with it

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not if CPW are just reselling O2 branded phones...