1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Cold lava~A custom WC'ing project -1st Oct- The cursed log part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bad_cancer, 17 Dec 2009.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I love this build im curious to see how those peltiers work out

never really understood how they worked so its a plate that gets hot on one side but cold on the other so you have the cold side facing your cpu and the hot side facing your cooling device (block etc)

So is it nescerray to cool the hotside to stop the cold side and hotside making condensation on the motherboard?

How are you planning to stop any condensation?

Sorry i really like to learn new things would love to have a go at it myself :)

Keep it going man this is looking sick!

2. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Okay.. How about liquid utopia?

And when you say silver, do you mean an actual block of silver? I.E, just a lump of silver in the loop?

Soooo.
    A peltier(TEC) is basically a heat pump, it pumps heat from one side of the plates to the other side.
    A peltier is also a very efficient heating device as it outputs more heat then actual watts consumed by the device. (But as a cooling device it a little inneficient.)

How cold it gets depends on the temperature difference between each side.
    For example if your peltier has a 50 degree difference between each side, if you can get the hot side to 20°c you now have the cold side at -30°c.

Seeing as a peltier block is rather thin, you have to keep the hot side reasonably cool or the heat generated will start to heat up the whole block and you end up with 2 hot sides.

Now as to condensation..
    Condensation does not happen as soon as you go below ambient. It occurs at the dew point.
    I don't know exactly how that works but for example:

Ambient : 30°c
    Humidity: 50%
    The dew point will be 18.45°c

But seeing as this is the tropics here, it will be more like this:

Ambient : 30°c
    Humidity: 80%
    dew point: 26.17°c (Damn tropics and their high humidity :sigh:)

As you can see I can keep it just below ambient without having condensation. (Unless I totally screwed up my theory :worried: )
    To do this I will be using a thermostat-relay as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

My peltiers will not be directly on to the cpu, I will be using then as water chillers in the res.

If you want to go sub-zero temps with peltiers, you have to insulate the whole socket area with dielectric grease, insulating foam and other things too.

Peltiers have a short warmup/cooldown period, so if you are at sub-zero temps with an extreme overclock, you will have to turn the peltier on first before booting or you can risk destroying your chip. You can either do this by using a simple switch or have a boot-delaying device which will activate everything first, then after a set time the mobo will boot.

/epically long reply

Hope that clears things up. :worried:

Last edited: 24 May 2010
  3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Now i know everything i need to know :D

Thanks for taking the time to write that

Makes alot of sense using them as chillers i was reading up on installing them and it seems like alot of work installing them direct on a cpu

Great work keep it coming! :thumb:

4. Chaos_Engine

Chaos_Engine What's a Dremel?

looks amazing, thats a massive rad, hopefully just as good cooling

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

6. Bad_cancer

Thanks for the kind words. As to cooling, we shall see... :D

I see, any lump of pure silver will do as long as it doesn't get caught in anything.

Ha, that product description page made me smile :D

7. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Hey buddy, congrats on the MOTM!!!! Well deserved man keep going!!! ;)

8. Bad_cancer

Jebas! MOTM nomination! :jawdrop:
    I'm never going to win, everyone else's mods are too good. :thumb:
    But i'm chuffed to bits that I got nominated and that is enough :D

Thanks a bunch bit-tech.
    And you too Alexis :D

9. Bad_cancer

So I've been really busy lately. And I am also waiting on parts. I was keeping this mini update to throw in with a bigger one later, but seeing as I got a Nomination (wow) I suppose I'll throw this small one in now.

Pump woes

While I was doing some further testing on the loops. One of the pumps died.
    I never was happy with the pump setup, so this gave me an excuse to get something a bit more decent done.

Question.
    How to convert submersible pumps into external pumps?

Answer:
    .Take said submersible pump.

[​IMG]

.Dismantle it.

[​IMG]

.Add a crap load of teflon tape.

[​IMG]

.Insert connector here

[​IMG]

.Take a brass compression fitting with correct size thread.

[​IMG]

.Add Teflon Tape and screw in.

[​IMG]

.Rinse and repeat (Taking care to eat toblerone bites):

[​IMG]

Power circuit

I needed a way to get the power to the various fans, leds, relays...etc.

So I built up this circuit to distribute the power a little easier.

[​IMG]

And here is a little explanation of how this works:

[​IMG]

1. 12v in. This will be plugged into a molex cable.
    2. supply to the pump relay for the main loop.
    3. supply to the sidepanel fan (which will be on full due to chipset and gpu overclocking)
    5. supply to LEDS through the switch in 4.
    6. supply to the thermostat.
    7. supply to 2 fans on the radiator that make up the main loop. (On a resistor for quiet operation)
    8. supply to the peltier psu fan, which acts as an intake and that I put on a resistor for silent operation. I wired it through a pair of diodes that allows it to go to full speed when the peltiers are switched on.
    9. supply to the second set of fans on the rad that come on when the peltiers come on.
    10. Input from the thermostat relay that connects to 8-9.

Its kind of rough and crude (I had to recycle the Resistors and wires too) but it works and its not THAT bad :p .

Thats all for now. Still waiting on parts to come so I can get this into the final stretch.
    Thanks for watching. :D

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I like what you did to the pumps BC :thumb:, nice modding.

11. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

You never cease to amaze me man, you have a lot of knowledge, I admire that! Mod on islander brother! :)

12. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Every bit of your setup is custom and that's why I love it.

13. Watchtown

Watchtown What's a Dremel?

I like your ideas, and the handcrafting from the scratch thats just a thrill to watch. Ill bookmark and come back when there's more to be seen.

Great work:thumb:

14. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

This isn't exactly Acrylic, but do be careful with Teflon on the fittings. If you overtightened it with too much Teflon, it can lead to hairline cracking over time. Hence why many over at OCF are against Teflon on barbs.

15. theone85ca

theone85ca What's a Dremel?

Ok so I've been skulking around these forums for... well years now and I've never registered or posted anything. That is until now.

Great mod man! I've been thinking about building a custom water block and integrating a TEC into it for a while now. This is going to inspire me to get off my ass and actually do it!

I did have a few questions that I'm hoping you might be able to answer. Do you think you might be able to cut the trenches into the interior of the block with a Dremel mounted vertically? You said the copper was surprisingly soft so I'm thinking that this might work but any experience you can pass on would be great.

Thanks!

And keep up the work!

16. Bad_cancer

Thanks a lot :D

Thanks, I picked up a lot of stuff from my dad, he is real good with just about anything. It's just a shame i didn't pick up his superior building skills :sigh:

Merci Fabou :D

Thanks. As for more to be seen, I'm just waiting on some parts and then it's the final stretch :D

Hmm, thanks for that info, I was planning to seal the barbs on the Wblocks with teflon, but I guess i'll be passing up that precaution. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the first post, I'm honored.

Copper is soft, but not that soft.
    If you have a hard cutting bit (carbide) for the dremel, this might work, but you will have to go in shallow passes.

I doubt that you will be able to go through 3-4mm in one pass without breaking something.
    Also I'm not sure that the dremel will last long doing this kind of thing.

Personally I'm not sure that this is a good idea, but you could get a small piece of scrap copper and try it out, but don't overdo it, it is still metal and the risk of breaking the dremel and bit is ever present.

Hope that helps.

17. Nicksen

Nicksen Danish Kid :D

FREAKING AWESOME. LOVE THOSE CUSTOM BLOCKS!! Any updates? ??? :D

18. Bad_cancer

Thanks a lot nicksen. (Wow my first thread bump :D) As for updates...

First thing is Im moving out real soon and finding time to get stuff done is a nightmare :sigh:
    I've done a few things but not substantially enough for an update.

I was going to finish the reservoir but my dad chucked a toolbox on the final part of it, the top one that holds the peltiers and.....well let's just say that it didn't end well for the acrylic :wallbash:
    I'll have to replace it.

It seems simple enough, but sourcing materials here (Mauritius) is also a nightmare.
    You have only a couple of options:
    1) Get it cheap or free but basically scrap materials and you have to really ask around, and it takes time.
    2) Buy a whole frigging 2x4 sheet that costs a LOT out of a Mauritian salary. (Everything costs a lot out of a Mauritian's salary. It's the exchange rate you see... :sigh: )

Well all in all not a very successful month. But I'll try my best to wrap things up asap. :worried:

Thanks for watching. :)

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Nice custom board, it would be ever better if it was a printed circuit board :D

20. Bad_cancer

@the_beast:
    Thanks.
    I designed one, I still haven't decided If I should have it made or not.
    As I said before, everything is expensive here....
    But you just might get me to change my mind :p