1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs STALKER: Call of Pripyat, I Forgive You

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Jun 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

How long does Call of Pripyat take to complete roughly? I heard 50 hours-ish. I want to get it because I'm hearing good things about, but if it's too long...

3. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

Loved the original STALKER, even though it was a mess and a total pain in the ass. Loved Clear Sky until I encountered a game breaking bug half-way in. Will play Call of Pripyat just as soon as I get over the trauma.

The STALKER series is the gaming equivalent of an abusive relationship. Every time I start out with this great feeling, every time it hurts me, every time I take it back because 1) I'm sure this time everything will be different and 2) deep down I know it's got something really special, it's just that no-one else really understands it.

Oh yeah, and that black eye? I walked into an anomaly.

4. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

I like the games and premise, but like all rpgs i never have time to complete them... The STALKERs will be next after fallout 3, but i'm on my 2nd attempt to get through that (after losing my progress due to an OS upgrade) and I got it on release...

5. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

I love the Stalker games. In a world of regerating health and over simplified gameplay, Stalker is a god send. Sure it's a little buggy (or lots, whatever) but it actually offers a decent challenge, especially when you try and match your characters vodka intake.

6. Feyd

Feyd What's a Dremel?

I love the series. Not tried this latest one as my system is getting old. Looking at getting a new system and was wandering if this game was as good or as involving as the others. I liked the faction warfare.

7. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I tried Stalker but its not for me because of the way I play games. 'Did that move? Right, it needs to become dead'

8. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I love them all, despite their faults. I get in the mood by reading a few chapters of A Roadside Picnic...
    Didn't like CoP as much as the first two, but still a good game and a great, living, breathing zone.

9. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

I stopped reading the moment he said:

"Call of Pripyat is in some regards better than the other STALKER games, but it's also more broken"

That is a total load of rubbish, COp was by far stable right from day one, and easily the best Stalker game, read some reviews, they all take note of this. COP was a great game, so was SOC, Clear Sky was a bit of a mess, but Ok with mods.

COP was great, actual role play elements (Choices), larger maps, lots of exploration, Stalker still has that second to none atmosphere. etc...

10. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

I played 10-odd hours off SOC. Too chicken to continue with the tunnels. I knocked over a barrel and almost crapped myself due to the tension!

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I just wish i wasn't such a coward i was enjoying it but it got too tense for my sketch nerves

12. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

Yeah, those tunnels were ****ing terrifying. Forget F.E.A.R., SOC had the scariest bits in a game ever. Period.

13. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

LMAO, yes, the underground in SOC blows away most so called "Scary games". Very creepy, the tension in the underground labs made me jump many times, and i rarely get like that in games.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, I got put off SoC because 30 minutes of tension were intermitted by 2 hours (realtime) of walking about.
    Am I doing something wrong? Is there a "Quick Travel" Mod?

15. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I'm a huge STALKER fan, have everything single game. All I want now is this...

ArmA II + STALKER Universe + MMO = the best MMO ever, ever!

... it just makes so much sense to me (obviously jokes about both games can be made due to a close relation). Replace the sides in ArmA with Fractions, vehicles are obviously necessary and we're excluded from the original (and latter games) but are in place.

I refuse to pay for an MMO, but if this actually came to light, I would pay a monthly subscription.

Hmmmm.... ArmA Stalker baby.

16. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Huge STALKER fan here too! Done SoC twice, once without mods, second time with Oblivion Lost. I'm on my second playthrough of CS now, trying out the Complete mod. Once I've done that, I will definately be getting CoP!

Here's a great quote from another STALKER thread:

That sums it up very well for me. I love the fact that you (the character) don't level up, but in a sense you (the Human Being) level up in RL so to speak!

17. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

STALKER is one of the top games I've played over the past 5 years.
    Another being Vampire: Bloodlines. For some reason (WoW) I haven't had time to play the next two in the series. Due to consolitist most games today are pretty weak in content/gameplay compared to the older PC exclusives. The STALKER series is a rare gem and all gamers should at least give it a chance.

18. Faiakes

Faiakes What's a Dremel?

I thought this was the most mature version of all three and the most enjoyable.

My only criticism is that even on max difficulty, the game was too easy.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Everything you do in the game affects the ending. The more you do, the better the ending ;)

20. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

My experience with SoC was that it was so unstable I was barely able to complete the game after multiple installs and a system wipe. Apparently I didn't get the "real" ending but I didn't have the patience to restart a second playthrough.

Tags: Add Tags