1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Downloading a Game if you have the CD/ROM

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Moyo2k, 11 Jun 2010.

1. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

I think I saw this somewhere else and I just wanted to ask you guys, is it legal to download a game if you already own the CD? (I ask because I have a copy of Age of Wonders:Shadow Magic, had it for years and it recently got damaged beyond repair) is it legal to download a game in this situation because I read something about N64 emulators being OK as long as you own the ROM

2. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

Pretty sure it's illegal.

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Since the places you would be downloading it from would most probably be distributing it illegally, I'd say no, it's not legal.

Unfortunately, like everything else, if you break the game you have to buy a new one, you can't just get another one for free. Games are no exception to this rule.

4. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

I think it is fine. You have already paid for the licence, so as long as you don't give/sell the original you should be fine.

smc8788 - I think, technically, it is the people uploading the files that are illegal not the person who downloads it. You can make copies of the discs with no problem, provided you aren't supplying it to anyone else.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

You seem to be under the misunderstanding that 'buying a licence' entitles you to all rights to the game. It doesn't.

Just suck it up and buy another one.

6. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I did read somewhere that if you can prove you have a damaged disk some publishers will send a replacement for a small fee.

You could try emailing them just to see if its possible? it cant hurt.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

some games on steam let you enter a CD key and have it as a download. I did that with lost planet.

8. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Blizzard took the excellent step of providing downloadable copies of their games (Diablo II, Starcraft, Warcraft) as long as your code is bound to your battle.net account.

If only more companies did this.

9. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

i was under the impression that you buy a license to use the software, so where you get the software from is not much of an issue in that regard, as you own a license to use it. Download it, there's not a court in the land that would convict you.

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

That's what I understood. You're not purchasing the method of distribution, you're just purchasing a licence to use it, and it just so happens the company gives you a copy of the software in the pack.

11. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I moved flats 6 months ago a managed to annihilate a few of my games CDs/DVDs due to poor packing.

One of them happened to be Fallout3 which I am more then willing to play through again. Contacted Bethesda and they said that I would have to buy another copy.

Still worth a try though indeed.

On subject, I'm fairly certain it is illegal but I would have no quarm in doing it - I have already paid for the game once so its not like the company is losing out.

12. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Seems like a grey area this, worst part is I can't seem to find the game online even if I wanted to buy it again

13. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

I'd get over to steam now and grab the complete fallout 3 set for 14.99 on offer!

I have to admit to buying some games on steam I already had on disk since it's so much more convenient for me than digging out the CDs - but only if the price is right!

If you can find a download for your game that isn't virus ridden and works I doubt the Federation Against Software Theft would be busting down your door!

14. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

If you download it through bit torrent, turn upload off. Granted it might take slightly longer and you would be leeching but atleast they can't accuse you of redistributing it.

pimonserry likes this.
  15. October

October Mariachi Style

No, but it does entitle you to play the game yourself, as you bought the right to do so. Fair enough if a chair or something breaks you don't expect a free replacement, but the difference is it would cost the maker to replace your broken chair. Like you say, you purchase a license, that's the important bit. It won't cost the developers for you to keep playing it, you've already paid them. Plus with a very old game you'd probably end up buying it second hand anyway.

16. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

steam/eadm f t w.

17. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Fixed that for ya ;)

18. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

I have downloaded games that I own a few times since I'm a student and most of my game collection is sitting in boxes in the family home. Morally I found no issue with downloading a game I already own but legally I can see issues with the way it is distributed.

19. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Simply put, if you are downloading an illegal copy then it is illegal. :nono:
    Whether or not you paid for the game previously through legitimate channels doesn't change this.

Morally, you are right (IMO) if you feel entitled to it because you already paid, but the legality isn't moral.

If you do buy a game on disc, my understanding of IP law (UK) is that you have a right to make a backup copy of it for your own use. This principle applies equally to audio CD's and movie DVD's and is one of my main personal reasons for objection to most forms of copy protection that don't allow this. If manufacturers prohibit you from exercising a right to make a backup then I believe they should be prepared to provide damage/loss replacements free of charge - or at least limit charging to a nominal admin cost.

I'd suggest first port of call be the developer with some form of proof of your ownership - (licence key or similar) - need to give them something to hang on that you're not just angling for a free game under false pretences as I'm sure that has been done.

Just an opinion though...

20. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

It used to be that for £7 or £8 most publishers would replace your disc if you sent them the broken one, but I don't think any of them do that anymore.

So nuts to them. I'm not made of money. I'd download that disc and burn it. The only disc I ever had louse-up on me, was C&C3 disc1 - it got cracked all around the centre hole. I checked the manual out, and lo and behold EA actually provide a replacement service as a described above.

Not wanting the hassle, I just downloaded a no-disc crack for the exe!