1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Cool, I was just currious. Anything pedal powered on wheels gets a thumbs up from me :)

I find that the rain washes all the crap to the bottom of hills or on the camber of the road into the cycle lane (which is the gutters in Oxford :grr:).

Marathon Plus are very good on the puncture resistance but the rubber puncture resistant layer is very thick and makes them feel a bit dead and slugish as well as being twice the weight as the Supremes. I would give the Supremes a try.

2. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

Last week I started out with a budget of £200 for a folding bike to commute to work. Today I ordered a bespoke Brompton. I suck at budgets.

Anyone else use one?

3. Golden-1

Golden-1 Minimodder

actually, yes. They're not a slight as they look like they should be, and the small wheels do sometimes catch you by surprise, but £ for lb, they're damn useful little things.

they also fold up into a reasonably small package. Not "i'll take this along just in case" small, but certainly small enough to stick in the corner of your office and forget about for the day...

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Any body on here have any experience with Bontranger SSR wheels?

The ratchet in the hub just packed up on me and i need to replace the freehub body. I've got it stripped back to a two pronged lock ring which seems to hold the body on to the hub.

Any one know what tool i need to get it off? Any one know if/where i can get a replacement freehub? CRC and wiggle don't seem to have any thing branded as Bonty so i wonder if it is a generic part.

I'll post up a pick tomorrow (bed time) if people are a bit lost as to what i mean.

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I'm not sure what you mean by a 2 pronged lock ring, by all the freehub bodies i've removed have came off using an 11mm allen key. Could it be a surclip (sp?) if so it's possible to remove it by getting a small screwdriver behind one prong and easing it up or by using surclip pliers.

I'll be able to tell you better once I see the pic, depending on when you post it and if it clashes with the World Cup or F1 tomorrow.

As for the body it may be a generic one but it may also be specific to the hub which could either be bonty or shimano (I can't remember that wheelset off the top of my head). If it's bonty you will need to find a Trek stockist as they own Bonty and will be able to get you the part, or if it's shimano try Madison.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2010
  6. steveo_mcg

Aye its definitely not shimano, i was looking forward to a simple allen key job... its never easy. I'll get pic up in the morning.

7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Seeing as the above is blocked, I'll direct you towards my pinkbike posting of this video. Stupid youtube...

Had me some fun today! Though I did forget my sunscreen, which has me a bit red at the moment, but it was well fun.

As far as that pesky wheel goes: I'm fairly certain that you'll just have to pull that little clip with a good set of circlip spanners and the freehub body should pull away from the hub, but unfortunately I cannot find any real information out on the internet (bonty never documents their products all that well).

As stated earlier by Cookie: post pictures, and we'll help!

Last edited: 13 Jun 2010
  8. steveo_mcg

I like the aft view with rear wheel in it makes a nice change from pov shots, they tend to make me feel queasy with the riders head movements.

This clear enough? Haven't had a chance to get some degreaser in there to clean it out properly.

[​IMG]

9. Cookie Monster

As far as I can remember (it's been ages since I stripped a freehub body) that will take an allen key. See the teeth inside? There is 4 visible in the pic from 11 o'clock round to 1 o'clock. They are the teeth that hold the allen key, get an 11mm in there and get it off.

steveo_mcg likes this.
  10. steveo_mcg

Ahhh I see now! I've been expecting a allen key bolt! :wallbash:

Cheers Cookie. :)

/runs of to shop for larger allen keys.

11. Cookie Monster

I can't remember if they fit everything, but draper make a socket which takes an allen bit which you can then attach to a socket wrench and get a bit more power behind it, but like I said I can't remember if the bit is long enough or the socket small enough to get right inside a standard freehub.

Depending on where your getting the allen key from it may be worth a try taking the wheel and checking the one your going to buy is long enough / the right size to do the job.

I last used it on a Hope XC hub but because it uses sealed bearings I was able to drift out the disc side bearing and go in from behind. :naughty:

12. steveo_mcg

hehe

Well it seems 11mm allen keys are far from common. B&Q, Halfords, the big bike shop (ebc) and the little repair shop don't sell them and the little tool guy who sells every thing is shut on a
    Sunday.

13. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

What would you guys recommend to clean your gears and chain?

I've used some petrol with this little gadget,
    [​IMG]

a good wipe and some lubricant up to now, but after some really muddy rides in the last days I can't really get the gears clean up to the point that the gears won't shift down as fluently as I'd prefer.

Also: Good bikes are more fun to ride when they actually work, but the old bad bike could really take more beating till it worked worse. The Shimano Deore XT shifters are killing me, they're just too fussy. :worried:

14. steveo_mcg

Ah the old days... Less mountain biking though.

15. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

@steveo_mcg

You generally only find them on freehub bodys, so most bike shops will only have them in the workshop. Park Tools do one, which any bike shop who deals with Madison can get. Depending on the cost of the wheelset Bontrager normally use rebranded Formula or DT hubs, you're best off going to your Trek dealer and getting them to order it in. If you ask nicely they be able to fit it for free, only takes a few secounds so long as it's not seized on.

LOL at that video :D

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Take it off and bathe it in the stuff - same with the cassette if you really want a deep clean.

Aterius Gmork likes this.
  17. Cookie Monster

It might be an idea to remove the inner gear cables and flush the outer with some spray lube (using the straw provided) as the cable could be sticking.

Also be thankful you have Shimano as they are less fussy than SRAM shifters.

Aterius Gmork likes this.
  18. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Not really a biking enthusiast, but I'd love to ride this new 17km Australian bike path made from recycled ink cartridges!

[​IMG]
    Source [Inhabitat]

19. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Thanks for the reply Ramble and Cookie Monster. +Rep
    The gear cables are fine from what I can see, the gears themselves are still muddy. I'll probably follow Ramble's advice and bathe the whole gears in cleaning petrol tomorrow. Biking in muddy weather was far more fun than anticipated though. Ah, is there no easier way to clean the gears? Maybe while the mud hasn't hardened yet? :sigh:

What kind (brand) of cleaning chemicals and lube would you suggest for the future?

NuTech, that's really cool. :)

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

My method to de-crapify gears is a gentle squirt with a hosepipe and if there's something really stubborn I'd give it a tickle with an old washing up brush.

Then I'd give it a squirt with some lube and let it dry. Probably not the best method but it works ok for me.