1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iFail- wait sorry, iPad, is officially out

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 27 Jan 2010.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

2. ChriX

ChriX ^

I have been enjoying mine a lot so far, still haven't had to charge it from when it came out the box.

First impressions; heavier than I expected, way faster and smoother than I expected, screen is really vibrant, and virtual keyboard in landscape is actually pretty good for typing emails and forum post such as this one. Looking forward to OS4.

I got the Griffin Passport folio case and am pleased with that too.

3. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Agree with you. Heavier than expected! And all the rest you mentioned as well. Also screen looks horribly greasy when off or displaying a black screen. Have installed just about every free iPad app that looks half decent and they are all keeping me very busy. Have got an app called Air Video that streams videos with on-the-fly decoding/encoding flawlessly from my Mac/PC to my iPad - really handy for downloaded movies on the sofa or in bed. Goodreader is my current .PDF reader which works well with every .PDF book I've got. Although I am hoping to get a proper .PDF in the future with better controls. GoodReader will also play encoded videos from within the iPad, these need to be encoded to a playable format by the OS, but that isn't too much of an issue, and apparently (not tested feature yet) it will also play through a TV using the VGA adapter ... so downloaded movies can be stored on iPad and watched anywhere without any hassles. Have added 20GB+ of Ted Talks SD & HD vidcasts to watch in bed, and that's just a start of what I want to use it for.

No Flash is niggling me but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. A surprising amount of videos in the Videos Of Awesome thread actually work fine, something that I was dreading to be locked out from. Surfing is a breeze and the freedom and ease to post on forums has been fantastic.

I need a carry strap because it comes everywhere with me and I can see it's lovely shiny surfaces slipping through my fingers en-route from room to room. :eeek:

EDIT: OH, and OS 4 will absolutely rock!

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

5. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

7. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

But apple would block that wouldn't they :p

8. joedpwd

joedpwd What's a Dremel?

I've used one but I don't see the point of getting one ATM. They're good though.

9. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I just set up iTunes to organise music in folders the way I like it. Can be done.

Anyway, the WeTab (from Germany) looks like a promising alternative to the iPad. Absolutely love the interface.

11. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Had a play with my housemate's iPad and I have to say I'm impressed. The fact that I could touch type better on it than on my netbook really surprised me, only thing stopping me from getting one is that I do quite a lot of programming in various languages on my netbook. Still as an entertainment device, me likey.

12. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

To the guys posting about cases for iPad, be very careful what you buy and where from. I bought a leather case from eBay which is fine and serves it's purpose. Luckily I have put an invisi-shield coating over the front and back of the iPad, I say luckily because the black internal chemical/velvet-like covering has slightly stained the invisi-shield!

I would have cried if it had stained the actual case of the iPad!

13. Nexxo

Perhaps it only reacts with the invisi-shield in the first place. ;)

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I feel the title of this thread needs to be changed. You can't rightly call something that sold 2 units in the first 60 days after launch an iFail. I think it's safe to say that it has surpassed most people's expectations.

15. Nexxo

Yeah, but it is a good reflection of the stubborn opinion of a minority of Apple haters. :D

16. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

The ipod sells a ton but that doesn't stop it from being an overpriced piece of crap.

17. Nexxo

Yeah, it's just a really successful overpriced piece of crap. :p

18. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Popularity means quality eh?

19. Nexxo

It means that 2 million people (and counting) consider it is good enough for the price.

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

It usually means something is being done right. Not like the whole world is a bunch of rich twats who need to burn money.