1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs PC Hardware Buyer's Guide, June 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 15 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

"That might sound flippant, but we haven't seen any new products in the last six weeks or so that have changed our minds on what the best hardware to buy is."

True.

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

how about expanding the guide with a media pc or something?

4. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

A media rig isn't a bad idea to be honest...

5. shah

shah Minimodder

Media PC would be a nice addition.

6. Rob Lang

Rob Lang What's a Dremel?

Would love to see some Media PC rigs. Like you do for gaming PCs - a budget, enthusiast and SUPER-MEGA-TURBO-DESTROYER-OF-WORLDS one that will set your wallet alight.

7. trig

trig god's little mistake

with all of the all in one media centers hitting the market it doesnt seem like a worthy investment to do a media pc these days. can see why they dont do one on the hardware guide.

8. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

What exactly constitutes a media PC anyway? Its a SFF PC with a decent graphics & sound card, and lots of HDD space for all the movies & music you'll be storing on it = pretty much a normal PC then, nothing amazingly different that requires a whole seperate catagory. Unless Im missing something :-/

9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

did you update the prices on the may one then, to reflect their current trend or not?

10. Rsaeire

Rsaeire What's a Dremel?

I echo the other users' sentiments of expanding the guide to include a HTPC.

What would be ideal would be a computer that has a sufficient CPU, PSU, ram and motherboard, ideally mini-ITX, an adequate sized HDD, possibly a Blu-ray drive, a good enough GPU that offers full handle hardware acceleration of all HD codecs as well as Vector Adaptive deinterlacing and all in a svelte and appealing case.

While building such a computer may appear to be easy, the real genius of such a build is in finding components that work well together, use power efficiently, are good value for money and are near silent as possible, all while keeping temperatures low.

11. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

You're watching the World Cup aren't you? Just because every monitor in the office is watching the lunch time and afternoon games, you can still do a little work in the morning!

12. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I'd argue that a media PC has more specific requirements for hardware than a generic PC. Low power, low noise but providing just enough grunt to cope with HD content or a good price? A concise feature on the best hardware around for home theatre duties?

That I would like to see on B-T.

13. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine Snacker

I've noticed that the sites that did not review the first fermis the way NVIDIA wanted them to (were completely honest) did not receive a GTX 465 for review.

Speaks volumes about them. They refuse to admit they have a broken GPU, and arrogantly think they can control everyone's perspective of it.

Just amazing.

Guest-16 likes this.
  14. Penfold101

Penfold101 What's a Dremel?

Was reading an old issue of CPC the other day - they had a Media PC spec'd in at at the front along with the others...

15. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

16. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

17. void

void What's a Dremel?

+1 for a HTPC build.

But I reckon they can get away with 6 monthly updates, low performance hardware in a HTPC doesn't change much unless new tech is released.

18. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

I know! I really wish I would have jumped on upgrading all my PCs to 8GB :(

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This.

We tried it before and everyone complained it wasn't what they wanted - they either wanted small and low power (underclocking, no underclocking?), or lot of hard drives for storage, or TV recording, TV streaming or internet stream TV?, transcoding capacity or not - if so, CPU or GPU?, HDMI or older connections?, blu-ray/no blu-ray, mini-ITX/micro ATX - some people think mini is too small, others not, etcetc

If you want something to play video and audio on your TV, just buy an AC Ryan PlayON :p

It's not that we're not listening, it's just the boundaries for a "HTPC" are just too big, so it's just not going to happen.

20. Rozzy

Rozzy I'll get there :P

I'd love to see a HTPC buyers guide but it does really make sense that there are so many different options that different people may or may not want that it will be impossible to please even the majority.

One thing I would like to see back again though is the monitors section. Again, I know it's an area that different people want different things but like when it used to be included, just 3 monitors for 3 different price brackets would be brilliant. When looking for a new, or another, monitor I can never tell where to go or who to go to so any help from you guys at bit-tech would be awesome :D

Ross

Tags: Add Tags