1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Why do so many people think Halo...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by fingerbob69, 15 Jun 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

nah, it wasn't terrible. For a console shooter it was great in its own way, just like Golden Eye and Perfect Dark before.

Now if you compare it to UT99, CS1.3, Quake 3 and other great FPS from those days, you're right, it sucked but guess what; the real FPS were and will always be on the PC :rock:

(okay you knew that but hey, they call me Captain Obvious)

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I bought halo 2 played about a hour of it and no more, I personally found it a boring rubbish game.

3. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I'm 25 years old and I've been playing games since I was able to lift a controller. Since I was a teenager I've owned every single major console and always had a very modern PC. I've done all this so I can play the best games available and never be limited by one platform.

So get off your high horse, stop your endless dross about a three year old game nobody cares about any more and realise that people, aside from yourself, just might know what they're talking about.

tl;dr: change the record mate, you're boring.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2010
  4. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Halo is ok, but to me it's just a bit slow, and a bit simple, like a beginners style FPS. Which is fine. But at the time I remember a couple of my friends were raving about Halo, I had just got Unreal Tournament 2004, and there is just no comparison. It's far faster and better in almost every way. I also was playing a lot of a Tribes game at the time too, which was fun.

But I've been playing FPS's since Wolfenstein 3d, so my big FPS revolution was Quake with the Team Fortress addon, nothing really has ever lived up to that yet, in multiplayer.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Come on guys, do I really need to remind you to calm down and take a deep breath? This is the internet, everyone will say exactly what they like and not give a toss about offending each other.

Flames get us nowhere. Gunsmith and NuTech I'm looking at both of you here, baiting isn't good for anyone.

6. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

I don't see why it gets such a bad rep either. I liked the original Halo and had that for the PC. I never played Halo 2 and I have Halo 3 and think it is a great game.

I'm not a console tard as some of the posters here with their horses would love to paint me. I have played games on Spectrum ZX, Amiga, PC, Mega Drive, Playstation, PS2 and finally XBox 360. Some of my favourite games of all time are Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, the Total War series, The original incarnation of America's Army and funnily enough Halo 3.

I've played a lot of FPS games and think Halo 3 is a bloody good one. I think it balances skill level well, there are loads of games where you log on a server and get owned constantly as everyone has been playing the game for years-at least the matchmaking in Halo tries to match you up with people of similar skill.
    I like the single player mode, the story is decent and keeps me engaged. It won't win an Oscar for best screenplay but I've played a lot of games which are no where near as fleshed out.
    I love the weapons, they all feel original. In the modern day shooters, all the guns feel the same-does anyone really notice a difference between an M4A1 and a SCAR? They give you all these guns, of which there is probably only 5 proper types.
    Yes there are quite a few teeny boppers playing but that isn't the game's fault but to be quite honest there is nothing as satisfying as tea-bagging a 12 year old who was giving it 'all that' in the lobby pregame.

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Loved the original game, single player and multiplayer. Not played the others as yet.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

...because this is mainly a PC-gamer forum and Halo never was an outstanding game on PC. It may have been on console, otherwise I can't understand why it's so hugely popular.

9. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

In my view the series is one of the finest fps series ever and the hate that it gets is largely from people who either didn't own an xbox or didn't understand its mastery of the genre.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

The original was a very good game, not OMG best game ever though. From a single player standpoint, there were a lot of shitty boring levels, but there were some fantastic ones there too. I enjoyed the backstory, it's not massively original but then again, few stories are.

The first time you get into a warthog it was awesome, I remember inviting a friend over to play it (this was a good year or two after it was released) and he found the idea of the xbox disgusting, but after playing that level he really wanted one. There's also no forgetting the explosive finale, I haven't played a game since Halo that had a level like that apart from the final level of Halo 3 where they essentially recreated it. Well, there probably has been, but I can't remember any :p

IMO, there are only two big name games that have managed to pull off vehicles well, and that's Halo and Battlefield. Co-op campaign and vehicle combat are the main reasons the single player became so popular.

As for multiplayer, I had a load of fun playing that at LAN parties and just split screen too. Lack of online at that point was a big negative.

To be honest though, since they changed the balance of the game in the sequels (making it a lot easier for less skilled players to do well), I despise playing it online. When everything is going well for your team it's awesome, but when it's not going well it can be one of the most frustrating games to play. If I'm going to play it now, usually I only will if it's split screen, LAN or private matches with people I know playing odd game types.

It did go very downhill after the first game. Halo 2 had a terrible campaign, they were advertising one thing and made something completely different. Multiplayer was a mixed bag, I started off thinking it was ok, then I loved it, then I hated it.

Halo 3 was an improvement, but it was still nothing amazingly awesome.

I think wuyanxu has hit the nail on the head. Some people played Halo and thought it was awesome, they then went around raving about how it is the best game ever (this happens with pretty much every single decent game, just not very often to the scale that it did with Halo). Then people thought they should play it, played it, then thought that their friend diving from an aeroplane shouting how amazing it is while rainbows blew out of his ass was overhyping it a bit. I bet without hype, a lot of the people who hate Halo might have thought, "this is pretty good, I find there are a few things I quite like about it." But because they had rainbow farts blowing in their face from all directions they developed a hatred for it.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

coming from quake.. halo's gameplay was about as point and click as it got.. and ramming the flyers into players took about as much skill as picking your nose =]

we were all hardcore quake guys so we were used to a much higher standard.. still remember we sat down for some halo multiplayer cause some lunatic was raving about it.. we were like wtf is this- was like probably one of the worst fps games we'd ever played

I guess if it was your first it might seem cool though

12. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I just hate the shields.

Everyone I've ever played with likes them, so I can't really play.

13. Rsaeire

Rsaeire What's a Dremel?

I always thought Halo seemed to be a rip-off of Half-Life, what with the suit and such. With that said, Metroid also had a suit, so I could say that anything after that was a rip-off, but Metroid wasn't a FPS until after Half-Life.

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

The single player is always fun (bar ODST which was shocking) but the multiplayer is overhyped.

It may be good for a console MP game but there are better multiplayer games on the PC plus you don't have to use a controller.

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

And I bet the said lunatic still thought you guys didn't know what you were talking about and that you were just being elitist jerks

You weren't :thumb:

16. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Used to have a similar variant on the original Halo with some mates. Went something like this:

Settings

-Blood Gulch
    -Rockets only
    -No shields

Drinking Rules

- Getting killed via gun / melee: 1 finger
    - Getting by vehicle / grenade: 2 fingers
    - Suicide: 3 fingers
    - Killing somone who is taking their drink: 1 bottle + fetching of a new crate

Note that we only played this with beer - playing it with anything stronger gets very messy. Best played with 8 - 16 players. Should be fairly easy to adapt it for Halo 2 / 3, although 3 would need a new map.

As for why people hate it?

Couple of reasons come to mind

- Playing online involves being deafened by high pitched pre-pubescent scrotes with no understanding of the words 'tactics' or 'teamwork'

- Single player of Halo 2 / 3 was a tad meh

- Graphics, while good, are by no means revolutionary

- Fanboys (See comment about playing on Live)

- Levels can get a tad repetitive

All that said, it's still a good series - personally I like it, but I can understand why others don't.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2010
  17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I have never owned an xbox (played it on PC) and I played Quake and the like before Halo and I still enjoyed it. I think it's just an 'each to there own' type game. I liked it, some hate it.

18. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

if this had come out on pc at the same time as the xbox it wouldv been a hit - unfortunately it didnt, and by the time it did the PC FPS had moved on.

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't think a suit constitutes a rip off, the concept of power armour has been around for a very long time. If you're making a super soldier, not using power armour is like not using toothpaste when you clean your teeth.

20. Rsaeire

Rsaeire What's a Dremel?

Taking all things into consideration, I'm starting to think the same way. It seems more and more games, including FPS, are incorporating some kind of suit for the protagonist to wear, e.g. Crysis, Dead Space.