1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Splinter Cell Conviction PC is a sell out

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Massive fan of the series, and I agree that Conviction is more of an action game with decent stealth credentials, than a stealth game.
    However, I still enjoyed it, and even bought the DLC.
    I'm sure they'll reboot it with the next game.

The main bit I am massively disappointed by is the infuriating matchmaking system which can never find anyone, almost ever.

Also, an option to swap the B&W effect for a stealth indicator would've been welcome, the B&W effect hurt my eyes a little and the environments were much nicer in colour I thought.

3. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

Thanks for letting me know I'm not missing too much - I'm not buying Ubisoft again until they drop the new DRM, but was sad not to be able to get this game

4. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

Haven't played the game yet, but it seems they ruined it. Hiding bodies was very important and I loved it. I'm off to play some Pandora Tomorrow.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm not too fussed about scrapping the trial and error checkpoint system of the old games. I found it annoying that when you cock up slightly you'd have to go all the way back to the checkpoint and repeat the entire section again, only to find that bit you found easy before is a royal pain in the ass because you keep rushing it to try and get back to where you were before.

I do agree with some of your points though, but I guess Ubi saw that the old style splinter cell just wasn't selling that well any more. I can see why too, I played the first one, really enjoyed it, but after that the sequels just didn't grab me.

I do wish they allowed for more stealthy gameplay, but I like how they've greatly reduced the trial and error aspect of it by allowing you to run and gun more often.

6. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

They went the same way with Rainbow Six. I sometimes think gaming intelligence works on reverse evolution, you start out with a game for intelligent human beings, then within a just a few generations, you've got something that wouldn't trouble a helper monkey. I hear for the next Rainbow Six game Ubisoft have done away with the traditional control pad system and replaced it with a plate sized red button bolted to the desktop that you mash repeatedly with your face.

7. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Was a great article until you got on your anti-console horse.

Jamie likes this.
  8. pimonserry

Well how precise are you with an analog stick? Headshots are a lot easier with a mouse.

9. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

1. Nuzzling with an 'l' - oops.
    2. The quote is: "My eyes, the goggles do nothing."

Jamie likes this.
  10. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

I saw my mate play this and points 2) and 3) are exactly what I thought.

11. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I have to agree that "night vision" part.

And the part that this edition is much focused on "shoot'em'up".

What about that sticky camera? It plays a music! That is so strange that even the guards doesn't come close to it! Every time you press c to make the camera "sing a song" makes the guards to walk randomly, and more than 50% of the time they don't even get close to it so you can make it explode.

I also miss that "knock-knock" Fisher used to do in the wall to attract the enemies to a point where we could grab him.

When I was playing, at some point i thought to myself:
    "No way they just erased the hide body ability" - and started to press every key in the keyboard (after checking the key config).

To my "half" disapoint, one need to press and hold "c" in order to use the enemy as a human shield and kill him in the shadow.

In the plus side the is those things you can do with a human shield, like throw them (particulary fun when throwing them off edges), bash doors and knock out enemies.

I concur with almost every aspect of this article, but I also agree that the game is great fun and deserves the 8~9 Joe gave to it.

And I am trying to stealth every single stage with hand to hand kills

On a side note "WHERE IS HITMAN?????"

12. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

Conviction was a fun game, I play it every now and again...but it was not a Splinter Cell game. Your character could of been anyone, it certainly wasn't the precise and efficient Sam Fisher.

13. Nodule

Nodule What's a Dremel?

Hmm, my experiences are totally the opposite to you Harry. I found the game to be fun, but then I accepted it as just a game that happened to be called Splinter Cell rather than a straight remake of a previous game (what would the point actually be of that?) Additionally, although you don't want to talk about the DRM issue - tough. I too have a reliable fast connection. I don't have a problem with the Ubi concept of DRM, I do have a problem with its implementation - utter pants. How many times did I get the irritating box flashing on my screen - I even Alt-Tabbed out to check my connection to find no problem, and on one occasion managed to leave a whinge on the uni forums while the game was having a tantrum.

All in all, I'm not sure what the point of your article is. Your site has reviewed the game - you're not even posting a PC review. You don't want to discuss one of the core issues with the game. What a waste of time for you and people who read it.

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I personally haven't got the patience for all the stealth, lose if you step out of a shadow, stuff. I may well pick this game up.

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

While I did miss the stealth that the previous games had, I still enjoyed this. It was good fun.

16. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Beautiful rant Harry, there's just nothing like a good old rant! :hehe:

It's not a review, it's a Blog, and in this case a rant. The point is for other members of BT staff to be able to voice their own subjective opinions on whatever they want. Especially if they didn't do the review. Joe did the review, and Harry is just sharing his perspective for those of us that are interested.

17. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I bought this the other week along with AC2, although its playable its just dull, too simple and boring in my eyes.

Also the mouse lag this game has is horrible, combined with terrible FPS..

18. pimonserry

Turn vsync off.

At least, that's what is the problem 99% of the time I get a new game and there's mouse lag (eg Far Cry 2).

19. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

It's not and anti console rant. Harry only mentioned he played it on the PC. He didn't mention a console apart from the opening paragraph!

Agree with most points.

I thought the insta-kill button was a bit pants and it felt dumbed down. Like the developers didn't think I had the skills or brainpower to take down a room full of people. Not having the goggles at the start was a major no no for me. It's a core part of any splinter cell game. Like the crowbar is to gordon freeman.

The tools and upgrades felt totally pointless too. I always ended up using the same guns as there just wasn't enough variety between them. By halfway through the game I just stopped upgrading as it was getting too easy!

It was still an enjoyable experience and they include some nice features.

20. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Ah come on nobody likes Splinter Cell: Modern Convictionfare 2. What else did you expect from Losersoft?

Tags: Add Tags