1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Buying Existing Domain

Discussion in 'General' started by kiillerman1, 17 Jun 2010.

1. kiillerman1

kiillerman1 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys. I'm looking to buy epifano.com or epifano.net, but they are both already registered. One of them doesn't seem to be in use, and the other seems to point to another website, so I believe they are not really being used. This is my first time buying a domain though, and after putting some research into it, I find myself more confused than I started. Does anyone have any advice?

2. kiillerman1

no advice?

3. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

4. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Only way would be to make an offer to the current owners. Other than that, you cant.

5. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Bear in mind if no one does renew then you'll have to be quick to beat the parking companies. It happened to me once, and they just hold it hostage indefinitely.

6. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

Also after the domains expire there's a 60 day grace period where the previous owner gets 'first dibs' on the domain. It's generally easier just to offer to buy it direct from the owner.

As for the value, there are a lot of free domain valuation services out there, I fact I even made one - http://www.clearvector.net/domains/value I'd recommend getting valuations from as many sites as you can, as they'll all vary quite a lot, so it will give you the best idea of value.

Based on what I've seen I'd expect to pay around £150 for the .net, and up to £500 for the .com, but like I said, check other valuation services and more importantly, see what the owner wants for them.

7. kiillerman1

8. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Really? I wanted my domain for ages and knew someone else had it as a family site that had about two hits a month so i watched it closely. He didn't renew it instantly, i actually waited about a ten days/fortnight before i bought it, i had emails a week later saying i'd stolen it from the previous occupier and he'd slipped up on renewal, i told him i bought it fair and square, he said he'd see me in court and i haven't heard anything of it for over two years. I also haven't used it much of late mind :p

I messed up with a renewal on my exgf's domain and a parking company tried to sell it back to me for three times its cost, *******s, but that was quite a while ago. Plus i split with her so didn't care ^^,

9. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

The 60 days grace period is only on certain extensions, can't remember off the top of my head which ones, I think it's icann extensions (.com, .net, etc) so nominet domains (.uk) don't have the grace period. Could be the other way round though :confused:

10. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I had to wait 60 days for a .uk domain.