1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PSU and completing my build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urobulos, 22 Jun 2010.

1. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Hi

As I sold my Advent from PC world (my first ever desktop and the last computer I ever bought from a high street vendor) I need a brand new PC. I have little practical knowledge, but I've spent most of my free time the last 2-3 months browsing hardware reviews and a mate of mine already assembled a few PCs using components from Scan so I should be fine with his help.

The problems with the old machine were:
    a) slow
    b) extremely loud
    c) no dust filters,
    d) crappy case and PSU

I upgraded it with a 4670 and 2 GB of Ram from a GF 7300 LE and 1GB, but it only resolved the first issue. Couldn't go higher than 4670 since the PSU would burn most likely. Basicaly I want to build a computer which would avoid all of the above issues.

I sold the old 19 inch LG monitor and I'll be using a full HD 32 inch tv as a monitor.

I got some of the items already:

1) i7 920
    2) Gigabyte GA-X58A UD3R rev 2 motherboard
    3) Sapphire 4890

Already decided on these components:
    1) 3x2GB Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz
    2) Gelid Tranquilo
    3) Win 7 Home Premium Retail as my OS (will use a student upgrade program to get Professional straight away)
    4) 1TB Samsung F3 or an equivalent WD model

Not sure about:
    1) case; if new then Xigmatek Utgard for functionality, it also fits my budget better; or a Fractal Design R2 because it looks better and is quiet, as a downside it runs hotter and is more expensive; trying to find a bargain on a Cosmos case on ebay for a week because I am in love with that thing, but can not afford a new. I don't think I can get one below 100 pounds so I'll probably have to settle for one of the first two. Some of the Silverstone cases, the Acts 840, and the Corsair 700/800 ones are extremely sexy as well, but even used they sell beyond my budget. Besides because they are good and expensive it sometimes hard to even find an auction for one of those, nvm winning it.

I'm also not sure whether I will need any extra fans for any of those cases. Are the stock fans good enough? Usually cases come with 4-5 fan holes, but only 2-3 fans. Does instaling extra fans have a huge effect on cooling and noise levels? On the one hand more fans would mean more noise, but if the amount of air each fan has to move is lower then I guess you can keep them at low RPM all the time and net effect is noise reduction. Not sure how it works in real life scenarios.

2) PSU The components will probably draw around 450-500 W in total. I was looking at 650-700 W power supplies. If I upgrade the GPU then it most likely will be to a single 6850 or something like that once they are out. Guessing power consumption of non existent future hardware is a bit futile, but I'd expect that the power consumption will not drasticaly increase unless ATI does a Thermi. Another thing that confuses me is capacitor ageing. Not sure I should trust the PSU calculators of manufacturers as they obviously have a motive to upsell a befier unit. If I had the money I'd probably buy a Corsair TX 750 or 850. A modular unit would have been nice just to save on the clutter, but I don't like window side panels so aesthetics are a secondary concern. As long as cables don't obstruct the airflow too much then it doesn't matter. The list of components is 800 pounds and I've got a 900 budget, 950 at a huge stretch. So pretty much 100-150 for Case and PSU :-( I know I should have probably gone for an i5 instead and use the extra budget for case/PSU, but the CPU/mobo was an impulse buy and I already have it. I was thinking of the OCZ ModXstream or StelathXstream2 700 W units since they received some really good reviews from sites that check PSUs properly using stress tests. I'm not sure whether I am allowed to post links. Heard that OCZ is having financial trouble recently though, so I am concerned regarding warranty.
    From Scan the only half decent choice is a Modu 82+ Enermax 620 W unit which sells for 78 (on Clearance sale atm). It is still a bit too much and the wattage is a bit low I think. Then again all reviews stress that Enermax, Corsair and a few other PSUs are usualy underrated in order to avoid capacitor ageing impact. Also the PSU seems to be silent up to 90 % loads so running it at 70-80 % most of the time should be ok. I would deffinately buy a second hand or refurbished item if it saved me some money. Corsair do 7 year warranties anyway so I don't have a problem buying a 1-2 year old PSU.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2010
  2. DaveMon

DaveMon The end is nigh! Repent!

CPC recommend the Antec 650W True Power PSU.
    Just under £80, from Scan, and it is modular.

A 650W PSU will be fine for a single GPU system.

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

if your a student you dont need to buy the OS then upgrade just grab a student copy and install.
    note though why the need to go from home to pro ? since it provides very little for the average user. The main reason is joining domains.

as for the fans if you get 1 of the 2 cases you mentioned there is no need for extra fans really as they already do a good job and are not very loud.

+1 for the antec its good buy. you shouldnt need more than 650W for that system and it will hardly ever draw 500W unless your stressing it with prime95 etc.

grab the 1TB F3 as well since its the fastest drive going at the mo for mechanical drives.

as for the TV and its 1920x1080 res the GPU will do for now but if you wanna keep the settings at MAX you will be upgrading it within 12months if thats ok.

4. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Have a look at the Antec 300 for your case. It's a great case with good air cooling. The only thing I don't like is that it won't take a 5970 - it's too long. It will take 5870's however (just) and all of the GTX 4xx.

CPC also recommends the SilverStone precision PS02B if you get really tight on case budget.

Antec 902 is another option, but it is further up the price range.

5. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

In here http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

and especially here http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Windows_7_Ultimate_64_bit_Edition_Upgrade-details.aspx

I was made to think that you can only upgrade an existing OS. I don't have one. Previous machine was OEM and I sold it already anyway. If you can give me a link with a student offer which enables a fresh, clean install I'd be very grateful. If I manage to cut down the OS price significantly then I could use the the extra funds for a better PSU.

6. adam_bagpuss

ah i thought you had a copy of windows already there are ways of getting round it but cant say anything.

to be honest if you cant get a copy of say windows xp with license so the upgrade will work just grab a copy of windows 7 home 64-bit OEM job done.

7. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Length of 5970 is a non issue I think :) Not the kind of money I would spend on a graphics card.

Since I would rather have the components closer to 100 rather than 150 pounds then I might have to settle for the Antec 300 and a 70-75 pounds PSU. I guess I'll still hold off for a bit browsing ebay for used stuff.

Though I would really want to buy a case which would last me for the next build so worst case scenario is that the mobo, cpu and gpu will be waiting patiently in their boxes for another month until the next paycheck comes in.

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

You can do a fresh install from any upgrade win7 which a student one is , Just do a double install job done!

9. adam_bagpuss

doesnt it require a legal and activated copy of a previous OS ? clean install is fine but wouldnt the upgrade check fail ?

10. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

It never has for me.

I own a (couple of) copies of Vista, however when I bought Windows 7 64-bit upgrade I just did it as a fresh install (formatted hard-drive and installed) like normal and they never asked for my Vista license key or anything.

I'm not sure if this is standard but I've done it a few times (i.e. formatting HD then installing Windows 7 upgrade fresh) without any issues.

11. Teelzebub

Nope just done one last week with a upgrade win7 home worked perfect.

In fact M$ recommends it.

12. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

o_O sounds great. Though for peace of mind do you have a link where Microsoft state it's supported by them?

The upgrades avilable via student offers posted above seem to be pro upgrades to existing win 7 home premium installs. You guys are talking about the regular win 7 upgrade pack which you use when migrating from an older OS. Are they the same thing?

From software4students website:

"For the academic license version to install correctly, customers are advised to have a previous Windows OS currently installed on their computer or laptop.

S4S & Microsoft advise customers to choose the upgrade DVD's "Custom Installation" option when available rather than "In-Place Upgrade" and to back up all important files before beginning."

13. adam_bagpuss

lol wierd all you need then is a widnows vista or XP disc which can easily be had.

14. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Looked on ebay for an xp disk since I thought they would have been cheaper. I just need to get any MS OS installed on the machine as cheap as possible and then upgrade for 30 pounds to Win7. Didn't find anyone selling an old copy though...

Windows XP OEM from Scan is 71 pounds so that saves me nothing.

15. Teelzebub

The reson is that you cant upgrade from 32bit to 64 bit so M$ recommends you do a custom install.
    All you do is a custom install on a formatted drive and dont enter the key code and then do a upgrade with same disk within widows this time you enter key code and activate on line.

Google it you will find loads of site's with how to do it.

You dont need another OS to upgrade from so long as you have the win7 disk, But if you really want a XP disk to upgrade from PM me I've got loads every version.

16. DaveMon

DaveMon The end is nigh! Repent!

The Windows 7 discs are bootable so that you can do a custom install.
    Then it doesn't check for a previously installed copy.

However it isn't completely legal if the computer does not have a previous Windows license.

17. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Guys, I have an auction here for a 1,2 kW bequiet Dark Power P7 series ending in 30 minutes. The P8 got a bit slaughtered in current CPC issue, but the PSU test referred to the P7 as an innovative/ succesfull product. I'm not sure whether a P7 is more stable/in any way better than P8, but with the funds freed up from the OS is getting one of those for 75 pounds a good idea? I know it is overkill as my system power draw will be 500-550 W max. Then again if the PSU is quiet then I don't care that much about efficiency since I don't have my PC on 24/7 so it's just a few pounds per year in electricity bills.

18. adam_bagpuss

by auction im guessing fleebay.

id avoid like the plague as you have no warranty and it could be slightly faulty.

A PSU will only draw what it requires but peak efficency is usually around 55-70% load i tinhk so this would be well below 80%+ efficiency rating.

grab a brand new 650W one for around £70-80 its under warranty usually for 3-7 years

19. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

I was so tempted to get one of them, but in the end didn't bid.

20. Teelzebub

Get a new PSU and a good brand name one, Its one of the most important parts of the computer, Also take into account if you will be adding more gpu's or more power hungry components when choosing the size.