1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Best 24 to 28" gaming monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheLink, 30 May 2010.

1. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

to add my two cents, I picked up the Dell 2410 last thursday and have been playing around with it for a few days.

It took me 2 days to get used to the bigger screen for gaming as I had to calibrate my mouse speeds to get the reaction that I was used to. But, I have noticed no noticeable lag in CSS much to my relief. However, it could be me, and perhaps there is that 6ms lag or 2ms lag that I'm not detecting, but I've seen no ghosting whatsoever.

The colors are outstanding with the 7 preset modes enabling you to choose the color variation best suited to your task at hand, or just what looks better to you. Also, there is a custom profile option so that you can set your own profile.

It's quite nicely built, the stand is impressive. The screen isn't glossy which is nice for me as I'm in a quite sunny room (being as it's summer now too, we have sun until almost 2315). I've noticed a couple of finger smudges already, but my kids must have been as eager to touch the screen as I was.

It was a snap to set up, with 1 power cable, 1 VGA cable, and then also 1 USB cable. For those of you with limited USB spots, this may be an issue, I've been regulated to unplug my webcam and only use it when needed on a front USB slot as in the back I only have 4 slots and those are all taken up now.

If I was to complain about anything, it would be 2 things.

1- If the screen has a higher refresh rate, I can't find it so I'm stuck at 60hz. I would prefer 75 as that's what I was used to on my old screen, but I can live with this.

2 - I don't know if it's related to the size of the monitor, or to the incredible color gamut I'm getting now, but there are a ton of really ugly websites that didn't look bad before on my 19".

If there's any questions anybody has, to my limited experience I'll try and answer them, but I would refer to StephenK and Goodbytes for this monitor as they gave me the most help and am thankful for the guidance to this awesome dell!

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hehe, yea! And I passed from a 17inch CRT :)
    For me every time I came in my room I am like "Oh WOW I have a desk, where I put paper and stuff on, and not being eating my CRT!" :)

Every LCD monitor has input lag, even TN's panels. Yes it's a pretty fast screen, Dell really put a good processor inside, and really harness the panel properly. I won't be surprised if they worked closely with LG (the manufacture of the panel).

The actual input lag of the monitor is ~30ms average. Some reviews sites claim 30ms+, but I highly doubt that they got their test right, as you can see for yourself.

To have the correct colors, you use either Adobe RGB or sRGB, depending on your taste. For me it's Adobe RGB as while I find sRGB a bit too bland. I find sRGB more realistic looking, but the whole desktop UI, websites, games all use Adobe RGB, so they all look bland a bit.

"Cold" color profile is nice if you are doing to work for a very long time with text. It's smoother to the eyes.

"Standard" is what I call Store-shelf settings, over the top settings so that it looks nice, if ever this monitor reaches a store shelf. So I ignore it.

VGA!?!? Sad...
    LCD is a digital screen, please use DVI, or HDMI or Display port for the best picture quality.

Wow you have an old computer. My 2005 computer (see signature) has 8 USB ports! (maybe that explains why you did not plug this monitor to VGA).
    Anyway, The monitor has 2 USB's on the back and 2 on the side.
    In my case, I have my webcam and mouse wireless receiver plug on the back.

The screen doesn't have a refresh rate. It's a digital screen 60Hz. The reason why 75Hz LCD monitor exists, is because they are so crappy in converting the analogue (VGA) signal to DVI, that it needs a have a boost in power from the analogue. So it takes a 75Hz signal and converts it down to 60Hz digital.
    Above 60Hz, you have 120Hz, 200Hz and 250Hz. 150Hz computer monitor is the highest you can get, and it's being used for 3D supported monitors, so that if you have the expensive 3D equipment, you can output the 3D image (2 images at the "same time" at a 60Hz rate each). So far they are no descent 120Hz computer monitor, they are all awful (there is like 3-4 models only). The other higher Hz are for TV's, but these are more for marketing rather than anything else.

You are either:
    1- You are used to bad colors from your old monitor.
    2- You are not set to Adobe RGB or sRGB.
    3- The website was done on a iMac (which uses a crappy TN panel) or a TN LCD panel which makes it look ugly on a proper computer displays (I noticed the same thing when website was appearing a few years back, while I still having my CRT (which can output all 8-bit colors properly)). TN panel can only work with 6-bit colors. So wtv color the designer picks not part of the 6-bit color pallet, it will appear wrong on other displays (even if it's a different TN panel, as the TN panel can't produce proper colors outside it's 6-bit pallet of colors (it take 2 colors that it can produce and switch between them continuously non-stop, in the vein hope to trick your eyes. As different TN panels can pick different close colors the color changes between one another. We notice this because our eyes can see several billion colors. )

If there's any questions anybody has, to my limited experience I'll try and answer them, but I would refer to StephenK and Goodbytes for this monitor as they gave me the most help and am thankful for the guidance to this awesome dell![/QUOTE]

3. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

Hmm, I needed to check my slots/terminology. . .

It is a DVI connector (9800GTX+) that has a VGA converter connected to it. I did not realize there was a difference in quality of the signal there, I have now switched to the DVI connector on both the monitor and the GPU.

Yes, the mobo is a little old, IP35-Pro which is a 775 socket. I'm waiting till Q1-2 2011 to upgrade when Sandy Bridge is launched and we see how that is.

It's set in sRGB, but I've switched back to Adobe RGB as I agree, the colors seemed to 'pop' just a little more.

How do you get picture in picture?

4. GoodBytes

The reason for the quality issue with VGA, is that your video card outputs the original signal to digital, which gets converted to analogue VGA, than as VGA is an analogue signal it grabs all sort of distortion in the wire that goes up to your screen. Then the screen converts it back to digital. So not only conversion creates a loss of quality to start with, but the interference it grabs from the cable (cellphones, keyboard/mouse wireless, cordless phones, Wifi, PLUS all the interference from the adjacent wires),. Yes you have ferrite thingy's on the wire and the wire is shielded, but it's not full proof. And usually you can see the interference effect by having a very light static on your screen, which can be visible on some colors.

Ah ok, it's not very old then... not like mine :D I was expecting a P4 with a Graphic card that only has VGA out (older than my computer).

Cool, me too! :)

Very simple. First in the menu of the monitor under Menu (to access the full menu - button right above the power button) > Advance options (I am at work, so sorry if it's not exact), they are interesting options, such as stopping the beep sound when you press any button.

Now under "personlize" you can customize the shortcut to menu option of the small menu (the first one that pop-up).

Anyway, back to topic:

Under the full menu, go under "PIP settings". You have 2/3 choice under there. The first is to select which PIP mode you want: picture-in picture (PiP) or side-by-side picture-in-picture (I forgot how its named on the screen, but it's other one).
    Then the second option under "PIP Settings' is the source of the second PIP. If the source is lost (ie: you disconnect the cable AND the monitor is turned off), the second source defaults to Composite. Why? That is because Composite doesn't provide any information to the monitor as it's an ancient analogue signal. So the monitor has no way to know if it lost Component (which is likely by simply turning off that source), or the less likely of unplugging your source while you switch off the monitor.

5. torroray

torroray What's a Dremel?

Hi GoodBytes,

I feel that Dell 2410 expensive for extra 2". You can get 2 Dell 2209WA and have bigger desktop space.

6. GoodBytes

Oh really?
    Does the 2209WA has Component, Composite, HDMI, Display port?
    Does it come pre-calibarted, or if you want that you need to cash out an additional 200-300$ for a calibrator which you will use once (unless you are a pro)?
    Does it have picture-in-picture?

Also the resolution is lower.. so your workspace is actually smaller. And if you can't enjoy 1080p content as well.

ok ok I am just fooling with you.
    All monitors on the table I made are all great deals (well it depends if you are in Canada, US or UK, but you have a comparable monitor which is better priced (ie: U2410 vs HP LP2475)). They all very interesting, and popular choices in this forum. It just depends on what you are looking for.

For instance:
    The real benefit of the U2410 is if you have 2 systems on on your desk, like a laptop which you use often and desktop. Having at least that, allows comfortable management of both system, such as transfer files between systems, sync them, do 2 things at the same time like if you had 2 displays but you only have 1, which is good if you don't do this often, but more than few times a year.
    Or if you want to attach a game console or 3 or more computers to it.

The same applies for the HP LP2475 if you are in the U.K, where the it's more competitive to the U2410 compared to Canada. Hence why many in the UK, on this forum, choose the HP one instead, unless they want something very specific which they can see it, from the comparison table I made.

The idea of the table is exactly that, show you the details of the monitor for you to pick the best choice. Review wise they are all very good to excellent.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2010
  7. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Ah crapola, I apologise sincerely for the kneejerk reaction. I've been using LCD screens of all flavours for the last 8 years or so and tend to be a wee bit overly defensive regarding the TN vs IPS argument. Ghosting was more the issue than input lag and I've been lucky enough to see the former rather than the latter on the screens I own. None of that happens on the U2410, nor the LG W2286 but the el cheapo Cibox LE2262 is crap for both.

GoodBytes has given you the full run down already but basically my personal opinion is that it is worth the extra cost. I hope to be able to add another two of the same (when I have the cash that is) but basically it's the difference between OK and "bloody phenomenal!" as far as quality is concerned. TN panels are still good at what they do (faster, cheaper) and the only answer if you want 3D gaming at the moment (I prefer surround gaming and the glasses give me the mother of all headaches) but I'll take a 24" IPS screen any day.

8. apple12

apple12 Banned

GoodBytes

9. Innuendo

Innuendo What's a Dremel?

Registered just to tell GoodBytes thanks for his excellent comparison chart.

However, regarding the HP ZR24W there are two errors:

1. This display does have a DisplayPort connector.

2. This display does have a metal stand.

Other than that, great work!

10. GoodBytes

Thank you very much.
    The information has been corrected. After further investigation, the monitor has a plastic stand but metal mechanical system. This has been updated on the table.

earlydoors likes this.
  11. Innuendo

GoodBytes, looked over the updated table & it looks perfect now.

Plastic stand with metal was what I meant. I think only Dell monitors come with the all-metal stands these days.

As for the ZR24W, I chose to buy one of those as I specifically did not want wide-gamut because to my eyes the look of wide-gamut does not appeal to me. Once you put in place firm requirement for at least 24", 16:10 aspect ratio, standard gamut, and less than $500 one's field of choices becomes remarkably narrow.

I have spent a week's time with my unit going over it with a fine tooth comb (Unfortunately, I am super-duper hyper-critical when it comes to monitors. Sadly, I'm almost impossible to please) I truly feel blessed & fortunate that thus far it seems as though I received a perfect unit, i.e. no pink-green tinting, no dead pixels, no backlight bleed, etc. After reading a lot of messages in different forums across the net I feel as though I must have accidentally received a 'golden sample' that was meant to go to some reviewer. :naughty: Even the IPS 'glow' I've read so much about doesn't seem to be too pronounced to my eyes.

Color clarity and black levels have been very good once I got things adjusted. I've only been eyeballing it & have yet to use a colorimeter on it, but I've been able to achieve a very comparable appearance to the 22" Diamondtron monitor it's replacing.

12. Innuendo

Let's see how far we can break it down into minutiae, shall we? :)

I was moving my HP zr24w today & not only is the mechanical system metal, but while I was holding it up I noticed the base of the stand is metal covered in plastic as well. Just thought I'd throw this out there in the interest of being complete.

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Hmm... this comparison chart is a little misleading, as some times listed by the manufacturers for response are grey to grey figures, and some others list true black to white figures - the two methods aren't comparable.

Still... great work. Loads of stuff to compare models on one page :thumb:

14. The_Schmit

The_Schmit I appreciate D12s

Does anyone have experience with the Dell U2410 and the older 2408WFP? There are still some 2408WFPs knocking around (mostly reconditioned), and I was wondering how they compare. Which would people go for if they had the choice?

15. DaveMon

DaveMon The end is nigh! Repent!

Would just like to thank GoodBytes for the monitor comparison.

Now the proud owner of a Dell U2311H! :D

16. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Great thread, +rep for GoodBytes, because he really knows his sh*t

I was in the market for a 24" a couple of months back, but decided to hold back. No matter which way you look at it, the U2410 is the best of the 24" 1920x1200 IPS screens. And you pay for it.

I was hoping that monitor technology would move on a bit during 2010 - maybe LED monitors would add another variable to choose from, who knows?

Is it worth waiting? Because I want more screen real-estate - badly.

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I went for the ZR24W in the end, couldn't justify the extra £100 for the LP2475 or the dell U2410.

I am not disapointed, this thing is stunning both asthetically and picture quality.

18. GoodBytes

I try my best :)
    I show gray-to-gray.. even though it's not proper.. as it's a bit tricky to know the real black-to-white response time as they are not consistent between reviews, and the few manufacture shows it. BUT, if you know them, just PM me anytime, and I'll add them as soon as possible.

Thank you, I will correct it as soon as I get home.

Thank you very much. I am glad my comparison table was able to make you the best choice that fits the best your need. :)

RGB LED is the next step. It's already out.. but uber expensive. The concept is that you have 3 miniature LED's of Reg Green Blue color, grouped together and everywhere on the back of the screen, which can output pure white. The problem with simple white LED's is that they are either blue'ish or yellow'ish... making high-end CFL still the best choice (assuming you are not willing to pay a nice fortune).

Nha, the day they'll make it affordable, it will be some low end technology and will take 1-2 years to get it perfected. This is my opinion. I'll be surprised that it's perfect the first shot.

Last edited: 21 Jun 2010
  19. GoodBytes

20. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Table's looking great GoodBytes :D