1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ RevoDrive looks to shake up SDD market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Jun 2010.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

PC Perspective did a review on it.

As to buying 6TB of storage, it's a bit inefficient since once one drive dies, you're done.

Same goes for the SSD but you could potentially RAID them. I wonder if they'll make a CF/SLI like implementation for PCI-E SSDs.

2. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Jeez In my pants!!!

I will be be back with the money for that because while I absent myself to clean the pants, I'm going to rob a bank =D

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I though the NAND made up teh majority of the drive cost. Surely a couple of extra controllers wouldn't be that much more expensive. I'd rather have a 128GB four way raid SSD than a large two way raid one. (Assuming the performance scales well).

4. Mongoose

Mongoose What's a Dremel?

I would like to see this compared to a 120GB Crucial SATA III drive as well as two regular SSDs in RAID 0.

5. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

I thought the whole purpose of these darn $300 SSD drives was their already great speed so no need of Raid?

Raid set ups are pretty reliable but they still make me nervous so me personally I wouldn't raid these drive as they are really fast.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

pretty sweet, everything except for the price but that's to be expected with technology on the cutting edge

7. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

lol they are comparing against other SSD drives. I doubt anyone needs 6TB of SSD as all u really need is your OS and apps which'll be about 30GB. Games load fast enough off an F3 to not need to pointlessly fill an SSD. Got loads of space left on my Crucial 128GB. :D

And this RevoDrive sounds awesome!

8. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

This is a great idea that could make use of the spare slots you don't use and free up space- maybe a seven slotted motherboard will be more attractive to buy in the future if this takes off and like you say case modders could love this- I've a on going project with an 800d of which I have ripped out all the bays to make way for my loops and rads (which I will be uploading pics soon) so I would defo have been interested in this if it had come out sooner.

9. greyhavens24

greyhavens24 What's a Dremel?

The idea is great, however I do feel that it is still early days for any SSD whether it's SATA,USB3 or PCIe. I think the technology needs to mature and become more mainstream before it really hits the heights of what it COULD achieve. It's all just a bit too enthusiast. Don't get me wrong I'm an enthusiast but I learnt a long while ago that the tech companies recoup a vast majority of their R&D costs on the intitial take-up from enthusiasts and those who must have the latest and greatest. If this wasn't the case why does the latest technology get cheaper and cheaper?

Just think of the pace of development and reduction in costs in other solid state products such as DDR 3 DIMM's. I remember paying over £200 for a stick of 16MB 72 pin EDO SIMM!! Now look at what it could get you. Probably a CPU, M/B and 4MB DDR3!!

I spent many years and lots of money chasing the edge of performance, my favourite addage is "this years big thing is next years bargain"

But I must admit this Revodrive sounds interesting, it has been tried before using DRAM DIMMS instead of NAND flash, I recall, I'm sure I read about it in Custom PC and it was quick then and credit card melting expensive so hats off to OCZ in making it relatively affordable for a new performance technology. If nothing else it should push down the price of the current speed merchants in order for them to compete and maybe push other manufacturers to bring out competing products.

10. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

Me too!

I think I want one of these!

11. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

1) It's two Sandforce in RAID 0, so no TRIM. But no TRIM needed - the Sandforce controllers do a pretty good job anyway.
    2) You're wrong, it's bootable. There wouldn't be a consumer market for it if it wasn't, and every OCZ press release on it has been emphasising that point.

Your access times would be in the toilet compared to the SSD. Your failure rate would be massive in comparison. 6 x 70MB/s = 420MB/s, so you're close, but not close enough - you'd need another couple. But wait, you could get one Revo and a 2TB HDD for storage - best of both worlds.

12. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Beautiful bit where does it fit? I'm all choked up with graphics cards

13. John_T

John_T Minimodder

That does look amazing.

One question though, (and I appreciate it may be a deeply stupid one) but don't the NAND chips generate any significant heat? I'm just surprised not to see any kind of heatsink / heatspreader on there. It would've given them a chance to plaster their logo on it if nothing else...

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

very little heat at all (maybe cold to warm)

15. desertstalker

desertstalker What's a Dremel?

Considering the total power draw of a SSD is a few watts, heat is not an issue.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While yes, it is expensive like every other SSD, look at it this way, 1x 240GB Revodrive costs 20£ less than 2x 120GB Vertex 2E so it is a improvement if it comes to prices, even if its just a small one.

As for raided mechanical HDDs matching SSDs, while its possible to match sequential Read / Write numbers when testing with large files (like for example a bunch of dvd .iso files) you won't ever be able to get anywhere near the numbers SSD put out in small file random read / write and access times.

17. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Yeah, but that's not really true though is it. I mean it may be for these drives perhaps, but not 'standard' SSD's.

Page 120 in issue 81 shows the power draw of SSD's & HDD's, and a 120GB OCZ Vertex draws 93W under load, compared to the 96W of a 300GB VelociRaptor. Now that may not be in the meltingly hot 480 GPU territory, but it seems significant. Heat is rarely an issue in standard HDD's because 99%+ of cases have them at the front, wallowing in the cool breeze of the air intake fans. I was just thinking that, shifted away to the back of the case, (perhaps sandwiched between baking SLI / Crossfire cards) would things start to get a little too toasty for comfort?

18. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

When do we get to see a Bit-Tech review of these babies then? Scan's website has them as due in today. I'm either getting a revodrive or a vertex 2E very soon.

19. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

That must be a typo, most drives use around 10w in use IIRC.

20. whamio

whamio What's a Dremel?

got one it boots and it......smokes

asusp6tdeluxe 12 gb 1600
    i7 930 oc to 4.0
    corsair case and water cooled cpu and 850 ps
    xfire 5850's
    zalman air cooled gpu's and ocz air cool memory
    w7 64 bit
    game on

Tags: Add Tags