1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 to copy iPhone OS?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jun 2010.

1. iggy

iggy Minimodder

copying an app store? there have been shops in which to buy goods for thousands of years, i hardly think apple came up with the concept.

2. Tranquillise

Tranquillise What's a Dremel?

Copy of App Store?
    Tell me again when Marketplace for Xbox was released. Not to mention Steam and all the other code/ program repositories for Linux.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

X to copy iOS? what i understand from that is X will be getting constant popup boxes that distract you from work.

back to the article. iPhone/iPad isn't instant on, just instant wake-up which is already the case with Windows.

4. Altron

Altron Minimodder

My Windows 7 desktop takes 40 seconds or so on a cold boot, at least 10 seconds of which is the mobo POST. If I don't use it for about 20 minutes, it goes into sleep mode, with the PSU shut off. Hit a key on the keyboard, and it's back on the desktop within a couple seconds. A little annoying with my case (Thermaltake Element G) because it has a 6-mode lighting controller that goes back to the default mode every time the PSU turns off.

I'm curious to see what they have planned for increasing boot speed. Right now it's at the point where I walk up, and if it is in hibernation or whatever, I tap my keyboard and it is all fired up by the time I sit down in the chair. Cold boot is longer, but I don't usually turn it off unless I am going out of town for a day or two.

of course, I guess the biggest appeal is for laptops and netbooks. I have a Win XP netbook and it is also a 30-40 second cold boot (If I rememeber, I'll time it when I get home) with a lot of the clunky programs removed and no desktop background. It will also do a 2-3 second boot out of sleep mode, but sleep mode uses up battery. Not much, mind you - the computer can run in sleep mode for about two days - but enough that I'd do a shutdown instead of a sleep if I was going to not be using it for more than a half hour or so, to conserve my little 3-cell 2.5hr battery.

If they could either reduce the cold boot time to under 10 seconds, or optimize sleep/hibernation to use even less battery, that would be a big selling point for laptops, netbooks, and, we've all been thinking it, Windows-based tablets.

5. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

Should see how long Nokia Software Market was going for Symbian based S series mobile devices. It's now Ovi software Store.

It was certainly a great deal longer than Apple App store.

6. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

Meh.

I'm still using XP on all my computers. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

7. Jux_Zeil

Unfortunately if you don't know that it's got more holes in it's security than a flour sieve............. you won't realize(or admit) it until you get a letter asking you to pay for the 2 cars you bought with your debit/credit card.

:D

8. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I've not seen any evidence to support this claim and have seen working demos of Windows Mobile 7 that completely contradict it. Judging by the number of smartphone manufacturers willing to jump on board come the Autumn, the industry would disagree with you as well.

9. FatMikel

What? Please quit with the nonsense. XP is as secure as the person using it and the environment it's used in and that applies to all operating systems.

10. Jux_Zeil

Ya. That's why even after all this time they are still releasing security updates. :lol:

11. FatMikel

I just searched the TechNet bulletins of security updates for those specifically for XP and I got bored by the time I hit 2008 and couldn't find any. All of the ones there concerned all Windows operating systems through IE/.NET/etcetc.

So again, please quit with the nonsense.

12. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=14342
    http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/a...es-Apples-iPhone-in-the-worst-ways/1269483835
    I've been happily using windows mobile phones since the very first one was available (Orange SPV)
    Whilst the xbox live integration looks very nice, practically everything else i hear about win7 phone seems a step backwards.

Safe to say, my current WM phone looks like it'll be my last :(

13. Jux_Zeil

I laugh at the logic in that statement. They are just the apps that open the back doors for opportunists to gain entry into the OS. The doors weren't locked in the first place or there would not be a problem.

Nuff said.

14. FatMikel

Then presumably you laugh at your entire point which now makes no sense since those backdoors exist(ed) in Vista, 7, Server 2003, Server 2008, etcetc also. So why were you having a good old laugh at me still using XP again?

15. Jux_Zeil

Vista and above has UAC. Can't help the peeps that find it hard work to answer a 50/50 question as to whether they caused a change to the system.:rolleyes:

16. FatMikel

Oh jeez. I forgot about the impenetrable fortress that is UAC. :eyebrow:

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ur joking right about helping sales? Windows 7 is the most sold OS ever even compared to XP it has already out sold every previous OS to date. Besides its always been MS turn around time to release an OS every two years, thats how its always been with the exception of when they had to start from scratch with Vista and it took so long to develop but now that they have the new architecture down they can proceed with the two year release dates.

Why does anything some one does gets stated as copying Apple, sure they advertise the stuff better but they certainly wasnt the first for anything they have released just mere copies of some other companies work. ~_~

18. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I think Windows Store is a fantastic idea.

How many of us here have gone to fix a friend or family member's PC, only to find it filled with adware, spyware or other bloated crap?

You and I may know who makes the best software for a particular task, or where to get a great free alternative - but a lot of users do not. When my sister was still using Windows, she would literally check with me every time before downloading anything due to past experiences. In her mind, even if the software proved to be only a very small risk, she would still wouldn't download it - it just wasn't worth it.

Even sites which are designed to make finding software easier (Download.com Sourceforge.net) manage to overload the user with far too much information and present it in a way that is completely unhelpful.

Remember, Microsoft is trying to accommodate the beginner/intermediate computer user here. The same people who are currently mass migrating over to Mac OS, because the people they talk to, who are like them, won't stop talking about the benefits of it and how much they prefer it to Windows.

Also, I think it will be a great opportunity for developers. It will be a legitimate platform for them to showcase their software to the world, and make some money too (which means they won't have to resort to adware and other sponsor crap). If the store also takes care of installation/uninstallation too, then god damn, Microsoft is onto a winner.

Sloth likes this.
  19. Altron

Altron Minimodder

My main concern is having it not be independent. I do like download.com and sourceforge.net a lot, because they're unbiased. They don't have a personal stake in which software I download.

For instance, look at how Microsoft does that Signed Driver crap. Hardware devs have to pay extra money to MS to get their drivers signed. The ones that don't want to have to risk losing customers because windows pops up a big scary "Unsigned Driver Warning" error message. It doesn't mean that my add-on card manufacturer made a bad set of drivers - it means they didn't want to pay Microsoft to get them signed. Those of us who know what it means just click right through it, but how many inexperienced users freak out and don't install the drivers when that comes up, or return the product?

I want to look at this and see that our good friend Billy G is trying to help us out and make things easier, but all my past experiences with Microsoft monopoly practices points to the prediction that Microsoft will force devs to pay a significant amount of money to get their software into the Windows App store, and use it to prevent their users from downloading competing software. Sort of like how you can't select Google in IE as one of the default search providers - it's Bing and Yahoo and AOL and a couple other stupid search engines that no one uses. You can change it to Google, but you have to go enter it manually in. I'd be surprised if you could fire up the app store and get a bunch of free competitors from Google, Mozilla, OpenOffice, etc. - they'll want you to buy from Microsoft and companies that support Microsoft.

20. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Follow iPhone OS and App Store?
    Screw that!!!!!
    I don't want only MS approved software to be available for my PC.
    I though MS has got past it's "control freak" stage, but now Apple seems to have reminded them about it.

Windows already has an app store. It's called The Internet.

Tags: Add Tags