1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Title: Solomon Kane
    Rating: 8/10
    Reasons: Well, it's only about a million times better than Clash of the Titans, it's got better acting, it's darker (in mood and in picture), and the coat/boots/hat combination of the title figure makes him look like Van Helsing. Too bad Kate Beckinsale isn't in the movie.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
    7/10
    Delightful and ever so cunningly managed to get other "Tony's" in despite Heath Ledgers death. It did leave me thinking there should be more than it was though. Well worth watching in HD.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Where the Wild Things Are
    8/10
    This is a Spike Jonze film, so it was never going to be a straight adaptation of the children's' book. Despite being an adaptation of a kids book, this isn't really a film for kids - it's too slow, too gently and too serious. Watch it for the amazing Frank Oz monster costumes and structures just as much for the story (which is more serious than the book version). A good film if you just want to watch something that's quite gentle and relaxing.

4. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

I thought this but I later found out the wonderful Professor Brian Cox was the scientific advisor to the film - I'm not sure what he spent his time doing though cus as you say, some of the science in the film is totally baseless

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Some of the science in the film was.... Fiction? Ouch.

Material likes this.
  6. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Scientific consultancy happens all the time but it's mostly done for posturing as the advice is rarely used. Studios hire a respected scientist to look over the script and come on set for a day or two, then completely ignore their advice but claim the film now has scientific merit.

Neil deGrasse Tyson talked about the stupidity of it all during one of his Q&A sessions, and why he and most of his colleagues now simply refuse any Hollywood requests. IIRC the last straw was when either him or one of his friends was asked to consult for the film Armageddon and was basically humoured the entire time he was there.

7. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

lol, point

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

He's a professor, he's on TV, he's got an OBE and not only is he super intelegent he's respectfully good looking too.

And he's FOURTY ****ING TWO.

**** him. **** him and his perfect life. I loved that BBC show he did earlier this year, but that only makes me even more pissed off because he got to go to some awesome places just to explain a 30 second scientific point! ARGGHGHGHHHH.

:grrr: /rant.

I bet his wife is gorgeous and his kids are pleasant and well mannered as well. FFFUUUUU.

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Too bad that's too long to be sig'd :D What a lovely rant.

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

You're forgetting that he used to be a popstar too :D

11. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Yes man, starring Jim carrey....because it was £3 on dvd and I was bored one evening.

Mildly funny, not bad. 7/10

12. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Zooey Deschanel made that film worth watching. I swear she's one of the most beautiful women alive.

13. Zabuza

Zabuza What's a Dremel?

I actually well saw it coming and thought it was quite predictable
    and it seemed over elaborate just to do that for one guy.

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

They never mentioned how his extended family will be paying in installments for the rest of forever. :p

15. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Little Miss Sunshine
    7/10
    Interesting drama/comedy (no, I won't use the word dramedy) bordering on farce; worth it purely to see a pre-typecast Steve Carrell playing a suicidal university professor. Some great acting on show and some interesting social commentary. Great soundtrack that's mostly by Devotchka, too.

if you like this you might also like: The Royal Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

STALKER (1979 Russian version)
    2/10
    Utter shite. If you want an endlessly long scenes of mind numbing talking, this borderline arty movie about 3 men walking through sewers and green fields is a perfect way to spend 2 hours of your life. It's only the minuscule moments Zone-esq relation to anything modern that gets it a 2. The very last scene is also surprisingly perky but only if you've weathered the monologue upon monologue each character spews out. Even if you're a STALKER fan, don't bother.

If you like this you also might like: Watching paint dry, or using your forehead as a hammer.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

:hehe: How could they make a film like that so crappy?

18. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

well just saw evagenlion 2.0 you can(not) advance ...

what can i say ... awesome movie , they have rewrited a big portion of it and .... i can't wait for the third ...

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Event Horizon: 9/10

remembered seing it years ago, just bought the dvd (dont hit me)

****ing epic.

20. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Yeah but he has that really annoying flat top lip that makes him look like he's doing a weird sneer constantly, and he has an awful accent. (He can probably spell 'intelligent' though.) ;)

If you like Japanese films too then I highly recommend Survive Style 5+.

---

Milk - 8.5/10

I thought it was superb, as it's a true story I knew what was going to happen so there was little suspense or room for 'twists'. They really made an effort to have actors who looked right for their parts, which helped when they inter-cut it with a mix of actual news footage and re-shot footage using the actors. Very sad, but uplifting at the same time. The world needs more Harvey Milks.