1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Making Image of Current Hard Drive for RMA Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheMusician, 2 Jul 2010.

1. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Hi.

My new laptop has a semi-faulty hard drive. It works just fine, but makes crackling noises when the laptop is moved. I contacted ASUS and I am in the process of RMA'ing it for another one.

It is a 500GB Seagate ST9500325AS 5400RPM SATA II drive.

When I first opened the laptop out of its box, I immediately plugged in my USB flash drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 x64. I then installed all the necessary drivers and software that I use. It was a few hours after this that it started making that sound.

So the hard drive works just fine, but makes weird noises. I'm getting a new hard drive (identical model) in the mail in a week. Would it be a good idea to make an image of the hard drive so that I can load up my current file system to the new hard drive when it comes? Keep in mind that this drive makes funny noises but seems to work just fine.

If so, how would I go about doing this? I assume I'd need to buy a 2.5" to 3.5" USB or SATA adapter/mounting kit from a store somewhere, and then use some sort of software to make a perfect image of the hard drive. What software would be the best to use?

Could there be problems in restoring an image of my system? (even though the new hard drive will be the exact same model, it's still a new hard drive) Would it corrupt the OS since the file system hasn't been developed naturally and i'm just kind of slapping it on?

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

In the PC-shop they used Norton Ghost for taking images and cloning hard drives. Works just fine for the OS as well (worked for XP anyway, but it's identical, I can't see how it would not work).

That said, if you don't have massive amounts of software installed, it might be faster to just reinstall the whole thing.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

This

4. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Acronis True Image is a popular HDD imager and backup manager. I think that since it's a completely new drive you'll probably have boot sector issues however. Since it's such a new setup I would definitely just start again like others have suggested.

TheMusician likes this.
  5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

You could go to seagate's site and download seagate disk wizard which is actually Acronis True image and is free and make a clone.

6. dukebox_1st

dukebox_1st What's a Dremel?

This is what I use. Truely superb and unnervingly fast!

7. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Alright then. :(
    I ask because driver installation was a pain. Especially the hybrid NVIDIA switching drivers.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2010