1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Buying my first sports car - advice/thoughts?

Discussion in 'General' started by Unicorn, 29 Jun 2010.

1. murraynt

murraynt Modder

If VAG didnt own lambo we wolud have no R8 because there would be no galloardo or even Veyron because of funds :waah:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

We wouldn't have an R8 or Gallardo, but I would expect the Veyron would've been made anyway, Ferdinand Piech is a pretty massive legend in that respect. Love the VW Phaeton too.

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That's going on the list. I always liked them, and if they're going for reasonable money, I'd definately put serious thought into getting one.

You're all throwing out really good alternatives and discussions regarding this. You're definately thinking along the lines of cars that would appeal to me now. MR2, Eclipse, Celica, Supra, 240, Skyline are all the type of car that I would consider nice to have for a weekend/occasional drive. Someone mentioned project car, and whilst I'd love to do that, I really couldn't afford the time or money to do it at first. My actual dream regarding the 6G Celica has always been to replicate Tufy's GT-Four with a black model ST-205, but you're talking big bucks and a lot of wrench time for that sort of result, both looks and performance wise.

By the way my opinoin of tarted up versions of the afforementioned cars is not a good one. If I get any of those, they'll look good and not OTT or stupidly plasticky. I believe in subtle sports styling, not street racer styling, and definately NOT chav styling. No "felt spec" or "speccers" either :grr: They're the scurge of our roads over here.

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Might not of been what it is now because believe it or not all the part have been designed and manufactured by VAG, It may have been made but i couldn't see it being made to as high of a standard especially since Buggatti were at the end of their lives.
    Also i do agree with Ferdinand Piech being a legend

5. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

[​IMG]

You cant go wrong with an rx 7, I'm still pissed I wrecked mine, I've been looking for a rolling chassis to put in a triple rotor engine transplant

Noob

6. Unicorn

I do like the RX7 and RX8. I wouldn't look forward to maintaining a rotary engine though :rolleyes: One thing you must keep in mind about me is that I'm a perfectionist. If whatever I buy doesn't run just right when I get it, I'll work at it until it does. If the paintwork is swirl marked or scored, I'll compound, polish and wax it until it looks like glass. Rotaries are notorious for not being easy to work on, and I'm not trained on them. I've been trained on standard two and four stroke petrol and diesel engines but I doubt that I know enough about a rotary to service or maintain it myself.

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Rotaries eh? Blue Exhaust?? Sign me up!

I'd say look for a 90s MR2, prefferably one with a turbo, those are things of beauty. If not then scrounge for the Supra Mk2(I think it's mk2, assuming the mk1 is the Supra-Celica), outside of that maybe an old Impreza, before it became ugly and chavvish, or an old Evo, when it had those giant lights on the front.

Oh and as for the Eclipse, good luck looking for the 90s version that actually had proper horsepower, most of them were a bit garbage in the US(Thank you Dodge for making the Talon, which was worse).

Or go top gear and get a Mitsubishi Starion. :) Or a BMW 635CSI, just for kicks.

8. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Jaguar XJS.

V12 auto engine, ~18mpg I remember my dad used to get so high enough to use at weekends, but too low to be a daily driver. Amazing car to drive, could go so fast and smoothly. The engine sounds amazing. My brother and I were "trying" it and we could burn rubber quite easily (remember it's rear wheel drive auto)!

There's a soft top variant XJS-C which's even more awesome, but not so many around. Plush leather seats and mahogany everywhere.

[​IMG]

Cost anywhere between £500 and £10,000.

9. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

An XJS? Really? :)

10. Unicorn

Not for me. Not my style at all I'm afraid :p

11. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

I've always thought the Skyline KPGC10 is beautiful for some reason, don't know anything at all about the actual car though.

[​IMG]

I remember when I was looking for a sports car, and I managed to trim down the list to:

300ZX
    Skyline R32 GT-R
    Subaru Legacy B4 RSK
    Tom's Altezza 280T
    200SX S14A/S15 Spec-R

Last edited: 2 Jul 2010
  12. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Also I forgot to mention - VW Corrado is a pretty nice car. Only if you can find one that hasn't eaten it's turbo with a side helping of engine parts and gasket.

Still...I'd put one in my lottery winning ten car garage...

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Corrado? I thought they were supercharged? There was a VR6 variant as well. I didn't know they did a turbo.

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

They are supercharged, g60 I believe,

Seeing as theres some silly options flying about may i present to you:

The triple rotary 300hp Eunos Cosmo
    [​IMG]

Including Sat nav and a colour touchscreen CRT all from the early 90's

15. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Correct The G-60 is super charged and the g meaning its a G-Lader supercharger.There is also a VR6 Engine

Last edited: 2 Jul 2010
  16. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I have an idea that will end this thread, well, maybe not, but, give James May a call and find out where he left that Hilux. Should be perfect, heh.

Sam

17. Elton

The Euons Cosmos doesn't seem to be a bad idea. Just that having that wankel will end up eating your arms.

18. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

Rotaries are actually a very simple design and easy to work on, then can take a lot more punishment than most people would think as well, like any engine of course, the better quality materials you use to build it the better the engines going to run, things like bigger apex seals, rotor gear snap rings, things like this. The twin turbos from factory are "ok" but if youre a gear head yourself, and your a decent driver, a single turbo runs alot better. Since it's such a high rpm engine, with a turbo thrown in, it gets peaky, so the powerband can take some getting used to, but once you are, woo.
    Theres a reason why their so popular, alot of these options mazda took out of the production model, just like the detuned nissan skyline engine, they built it for the track, then detuned it for sale to be able to enter brackets with a "production" engine.
    Though to be more specific, it wasnt originally for the track with the first rx 7, they updated track models with all the features that you can now get as aftermarket though.

As mentioned, other options include mr2's, skylines and all that jazz, I'd go for a 350z though, everything else is going to take enough work, that a used 350z would not be bad investment, they've got alot going for them

Noob

19. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

There's also the Subaru SVX. Don't know how easy they are to find across the pond, as I've seen maybe 5 my whole life in the US.

[​IMG]

20. Elton

The SVX is....well it's not that it's bad, but it's a pretty forgettable car. I have seen 1 so far, it looks too much like a 90s Dodge.

But if it fits the bill go for it.

Or just get an old MX-5, it might not be very manly but hey, if it's fun to drive...