1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Ethernet A/V standard aims to take down HDMI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jul 2010.

1. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

If you're lucky, some hardware will come with SATA cables with clips. Though without them, SATA annoys the crap out of me because of this.

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

You gotta get locking sata cables, they're really nice until you get in tight spaces and need to unlock them

eSata is terrible about falling out of the sockets but then again it might be the cheap socket it's plugged into

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I've got locking SATA cables. It's the general lack of foresight when creating these standards that annoys the hell out of me. Honestly, how little imagination does it take to foresee that it'd be a good idea having connectors with locking mechanisms.

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

That's outrageous. As for whether more expensive cables yield any benefit over cheapies for digital signals, can someone call the emperor? His new clothes are ready for collection.

5. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

Anything that encourages Ethernet (and PoE) into homes is a good thing!

I wonder if we will be able to purses firmware updates for current devices, I've already seen TV's with Ethernet ports. Alternatively most of the big Samsung screens have PCMCIA slots in the side...

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

There, fixed it for you!

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

be nice if all comments had pages wareing me screen out

9. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

hdmi always sucked as a standard... was designed soley in the interests of the companies... who the heck plays audio through their tv or monitor?

10. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Youd be surprised at how many people buy a big HDTV and then dont bother buying surround speakers because it already has 2 built in.

11. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

If you think people don't use their TV's built in speakers, you're living in a world of your own. Plenty of people do. It's not a bad idea really. You only need two extra conductors and it's one less cable for the massive majority of people.

12. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Well, HDMI is a digital protocol so there are actually no extra conductors in the cable, either the data is transported or it isn't, it's always in the specification.

In fact, HDMI supports lossless compressed audio streams as well as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master, which is superior to analogue cables.

13. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Good point. I was thinking the audio stream was transmitted separately to the video.

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I know I do.

Why you ask ? Because I'm not rich that's why

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Jul 2010
  15. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

of course i happen to have an amp that dosnt strip the HDMI audio out.... so if i use HDMI itll play on my TV speakers and not through the 5.1 setup (connected to the amp that the sound passes by!)

As for the Uber-cable..... 24/7 support line!!!

"help me... i need help to connect the cable"

16. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

most devices that have HDMI norm have 5.1 optical pass thou (sky and the virgin media box seem to and tvs so you can out put to an amp i know due it working at one of my friends house)

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

You got to be joking right??? its a horrible standard that forces people to have to buy hardware and monitors that support HDCP... as an example I have a great 30" Doublesight Display and its more then capable of viewing HD content but because it doesnt have that stupid HDCP chip I cant view it unless I rip or use ANYDVD now you tell me whats so great about the standard, its like gun laws all that standard does is prevent those from not doing wrong from enjoying content and those who do plan to do wrong well its not worth a hoot as its easily bypassed anyways. So in the end its a pointless standard.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Any moniter in the last 2 years will be hdcp compliant, if you brought a 22inch screen this or last year your blueray rdy

Very few people have the money or space for 30inch screen

And as with all tech gotta upgrade eventually.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

most if not all dual link dvi monitors that have hi-res (part of the reason for the dual link is supporting the higher res, this includes new and old monitors) dont have HDCP as it doesnt meet the "standard" which is absurd as it obviously surpasses the HD res requirement, so again its a stupid idiotic standard plain and simple.

Anyhow beck on topic, as long as they dont key the ends so that your stuck once again into having to buy special cables then this is fantastic.

20. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

"In fact, HDMI supports lossless compressed audio streams as well as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master, which is superior to analogue cables."

balls...

"lossless compressed"

double balls

Tags: Add Tags