1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pope's visit to UK to cost taxpayer £10-12million!!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by stuartpb, 5 Jul 2010.

1. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

We are facing absolutely brutal cuts to our public spending budgets by our new government. This is something I believe to be necessary for us to pull ourselves back from the brink of bankruptcy. Our national decifit is shocking.

I have just read a news report that made my blood boil though, our government is planning on spending a massive £10-12 million on the forthcoming Pope's visit to the UK. This is for non-policing costs, so the true figure, when the cost of policing is taken into consideration, is going to be much more. He's only here for 4 days too!!!

Why the hell should we all (the taxpayers) be paying for a foreign dignitary to visit the UK. Surely the catholic church should be footing the bill? If we are facing public spending cuts like we are, then events like these should be the first to go, not vital nursing, police and other essential public service jobs as could be happening!

(Source of story: http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.a...ntid=154038036)

2. kebabkiller

kebabkiller What's a Dremel?

Couldn't agree more. Just been told that my job is about to made obsolete and yet some of the tax that i have paid over the last few years will wasted on some guy with a stupid hat talking about crap. The home office has banned crazy muslim preachers from entering the country, but we say its ok for a guy that hid paedophiles to come over and we will cover the costs. The reported cost of 12 million is about a third of the overall cost when you add in policing and security for the places he will be speaking.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Considering the immense wealth of that particular church, they should bloody well pay for his trip.

I don't like the idea of paying for some jumped up old git in a hat visiting for a few days.

llamafur likes this.
  4. 13en

13en Minimodder

The Pope is the head of state for the Vatican, so I don't have any problem with paying for his visit, as long as it's no more than any other head of state would get - a few days accomodation and security, dinner at the palace, etc. Is it just that the Pope needs more security than most, or are we paying for his little tour as well? Because that is the sort of thing that the Catholic Church should be paying for itself. They can afford it after all. How would the cost of this visit compare to a US president? That's probably the most comparable in terms of popularity

5. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

pfft who gives a ****... the amount of money we waste on the queen, sports, politicians... it all a load of bollocks and unfortunately we are the one's that suffer, i hate religion, i hate everything about it... and i agree that its disgusting that all that money is getting spent on some stupid ass trip.

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

If it was £12 million to have him assassinated, then you know, that might be something worth considering.

7. kebabkiller

kebabkiller What's a Dremel?

For 12 million quid i would take out the pope the queen and every MP

8. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Well seeing as some of the money being spent is from my hard earned cash, I care how it's spent. Regardless of what I feel about religion, I think that in light of the cuts to public spending, we can't justify spending this amount of money when there is going to be absolutely no return on it. If it was a state leader who was visiting to bring trade deals etc. in to the UK, then fine.

The sole reason for his visit is to appease the catholic population of the UK, and that's something that I don't think the taxpayer should have to stump up for. I'm not against religion, but I'm not a religious person. I do believe everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. But if the pope want's to visit, then he should pay for the costs of doing so. I would say the same if it was the head of any other religion.

9. Pieface

Pieface Modder

No offense guys, but he's the head of state. When Prince Charles went to Canada they footed the bill, not us. It's not just our country who do it.

10. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

This

Wasn't he a nazi

11. Pieface

Pieface Modder

He was part of the Nazi youth. He was too young to actually fight.

12. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

The vatican is hardly going to be filling the UK industry's order books or do wonders for our export figures, and for that reason I say we shouldn't be paying for his trip. In today's economy, our government should only be spending money on events like this if it has the potential to offer financial return, otherwise it's an unnecessary extravagence.

Look at it this way, how many nurses would £12million pay for in a year? As we are facing cuts, this is not a silly question to be asking, as public servants jobs are in danger.

13. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

Lol, he was in the nazi youth for a reason... he would of not had a happy nor long life if he didn't join...
    but you have to understand the billions of pounds that are wasted on other **** anyway... this is like throwing away a two pence piece...

14. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Look after the pennies, and the pounds will look after themselves! Never a truer statement could be made in reply to yours:D

Just because the government is frittering away money elsewhere, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't be concerned about this example.

I also think the assassination comments are silly to be honest, and serve no purpose in this thread. I wouldn't wish anyone dead, jokingly or seriously, especially not to be murdered.

15. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

according to an unnamed pop site he ****ed little lads up the arse

dont ban me I can prove they said it and heck its better than they said of souness

16. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Come on guys, I didn't create this thread to have a pop at the pope, if you want to do that take it elsewhere please. I am peeved that the taxpayer is having to stump up a massive amount of cash for the pope's visit, and it's also estimated now at over £4 million over the original estimate. As I said, I would feel the same if it was any other religious leader.

17. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I am a Roman Catholic and am offended by the hatred shown towards the pope here, talking about assassination ffs. As a British taxpayer I am happy to part fund the cost of a papal visit, however I do feel the figures mentioned is far too much for the taxpayer in the current climate. But in all honesty these figures probably pale in comparison to the money spent on our Monarchy and any visits by the US president. All three are the most famous and powerful leaders in the world and should be treated as equals.

18. Pieface

Pieface Modder

How many businesses could be saved on £12 Million? how many more prisoners can we keep locked up for longer than they actually get because we're overcrowded? How many potholes can be filled on the roads? How about put the £12 Million pounds into letting me still have a pay increase?

If you just live on spending money in certain sectors then it just becomes a drag. Come on, because you don't agree with stuff, doesn't mean other people share the same opinions as you. I'm not happy I pay taxes for spongers on benefits, but I don't go on a moaning rampage on where the money is spent, because other people pay taxes in such areas that are positive for me, and negative for them. Such as in my new Uni courses, I have two trips, to Devon and to Italy that are funded by the tax-payer as they are compulsory.

We are still a predominately Christian country, he is a head of state and other countries pay for other leaders to visit their country. We should try and hold on to a little of our culture and not get rid of it. The Pope will still gather huge crowds, which will also bring in money to local businesses. He will bring media attention as well.

19. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

We are traditionally a Protestant country, and not a Catholic one. Just wanted to clear that up. The head of the Protestant church is not, and never has been, the pope. There has been a large shift in popularity with Roman Catholicism though in recent times.

Regards me having a gripe, just because you disagree doesn't mean that I shouldn't express my feelings. It sounds to me like you are being dismissive of me because you don't mind the country paying out for the visit.

20. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Sorry for you being offended, and it wasn't my intention to offend any Roman Catholics. As I have said, I would feel the same if it was any other religious leader. I also agree with you about the costs of all state visits, both here and abroad. The sums spent globally in one year alone must be astronomical. I accept that they can have a positive effect on the host nations, but when everyone here in the UK is having the fact that cuts must be made rammed down their throats, and we should all be preparing for the worst and tightening our belts, our government then decides to spend silly amounts of money on state visits that will offer us very little (if any) long term benefits or returns, then I find that especially frustrating.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2010