1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iPhone 4 / iOS Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 7 Jun 2010.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Anybody tried these people out for visual voicemail?

http://www.hullomail.com/uk/index.html

It appears to be a free service - they claim that they will pay for it all via enterprise offerings and premium functionality / content later on...

2. ChriX

ChriX ^

Vodafone don't support it either, very annoying. Personally, I've never had the opportunity to use it. I was on T-Mobile with my 2G and Vf thereafter.

3. GreatOldOne

Downloaded Hullo app - seems to work as a replacement VVM system. It's free... But boy does it need a UI overhall. It's OK, but it doesn't really feel like an iPhone app.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

never used visual voice mail :( not on 2G with Vodafone, and not of 4 with Vodafone. im their loyal customer :)

how does Hullo work? does it require another number?

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

iOS4 has completely broken my iPhone 3G and I am unable to roll back to 3.1.3 without iTunes completely destroying my Windows 7 install (thanks to System Restore, I was able to get it working again after iTunes killed all of my drivers).

My 3G is unusable (key presses take 5-10 seconds to appear on screen, the settings menu can take up to 30 seconds to appear, Spotify music downloaded to the handset stutters and is unlistenable) even after restoring four times in the last 10 days - it's worse than Windows Vista ever was. Simply put, Apple has not tested iOS4 properly with the iPhone 3G, despite it still being a 'supported' handset.

I will not be getting another iPhone any time soon, even though I think the iPhone 4 is the best handset available today. I will not be at Steve Jobs' mercy any more and the answer to my problems isn't to upgrade my handset to a newer one (or whatever 'you aren't holding it right' excuse they'll give) - the 3G was perfectly fine until they dropped this turd of a mobile phone OS on it. The best thing of all is the recommendations when you try to reserve a genius bar appointment:

Yeah, I'm sure that does help.

I've borrowed an HTC Desire from work until I find an Android handset that I'm completely happy with.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Unlucky, Tim :(

It works mostly fine on mine (although I updated with a cooked firmware using redsn0w). Waking it up takes a few seconds, i.e. the keylock screen doesn't respond to key presses straight away. It's mostly alright, apart from no springboard cydia apps I use seem to work.

Just phoned Phones4u and they said they're expecting some in tomorrow - whether one'll be mine I've no idea.

7. GreatOldOne

No.

You download the app, give it your mobile number and the operator you're on. A few other settings (password etc), and an email confirmation and you're ready to activate it.

You activate by using the activation number that the app stores in your contacts list. This sets up a divert to the Hullo service for any unanswered calls, where the message is taken.

Once a message has been taken Hullo pushes a notification to the app on your phone, and then it works just like the VVM application built in to the phone app - messages are displayed in a list, and you can listen to them in any order.

There's a whole load of videos and FAQs on the Hullo site I linked to earlier that'll tell you more.

What it needs is:
    • An interface spruce up
    • Multi-tasking support
    • Hullo to realise it doesn't need to pop up an on screen alert everytime you get a message. Just a badge change will do fine, thanks.

:)

wyx087 likes this.
  8. Tim S

Tim S OG

I tried the redsn0w route too, but that didn't help. Was good for a couple of days (first day - excellent, I thought I had my phone back; second day - not bad, but signs of slowness were coming back... an email downloading while listening to pre-downloaded Spotify music would result in stuttering even in Silent mode) and then became as unusable as it was without jailbreaking it.

On the third day it was close to impossible to type basic text messages (if I had more than 10 conversations the SMS app would crash) and the camera app took an age to activate the shutter, an age to take a picture (no good for portraits as the person had lost patience by the time the shutter press registered) and took an age to save. One picture would take over two minutes to take. Spotify went back to its pre-jailbroken state where it was simply unlistenable - every 10-30 secs, it would stutter inexplicably for a few seconds before carrying on as if nothing had happened.

I'm not losing any sleep over the money I'll lose from my app purchases - life's too short to get worked up over a phone, after all - and I'm just looking forward to having a phone that I'll have some control over again (being able to roll back firmware is rather useful if the new firmware breaks your phone). I'd love that to be an iPhone 4, but at a time where I was already considering a switch to Android or Windows Phone 7, this experience has put me off the idea of sticking with iOS completely - even though it's a beautiful handset (antenna issues aside). I used one of the two we had in the office for a few days while we were reviewing it and loved it.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I too found that the iOS4 upgrade slowed down my 3G. Then again, I kind of expected that. Software upgrades usually do; they cater to the latest, most powerful hardware. I still went ahead with the upgrade to get increased email and calendar functionality (multiple Exchange accounts Cheesecake) but I cannot say that slowed performance came as a shock to me. Perhaps Apple will clean up the code a bit in the next update.

The problem is that there are no viable alternatives except for the latest HTC Android devices which, for being zippy in their performance, have the battery life of a mayfly. I really like the HTC Desire and Legend. But their battery life simply is not good enough for me.

11. GreatOldOne

Aha - just turn of the alerts in the settings app, and just keep the badge and audio alert on. Problem solved. :)

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

I expected it to slow it down, but not to the point where even something as basic as flicking through home screens is laggy. There's something seriously wrong with the update, despite the improved functionality (Multiple Exchange Accounts is a great feature, for example). Given that Apple still supports the iPhone 3G, I would have hoped that the update would not make the phone extremely slow in the way that I have been experiencing.

I agree with you about the Desire - I'm using it at the moment and the battery life is quite poor. It was fully charged at 9:15am this morning and I've done a little bit of web browsing (less than 30 minutes), made one five minute phone call, sent a few text messages and had it pushing emails/calendar updates/etc in idle mode and it's already sitting at 46%. So yeah, not great :sigh:

13. wyx087

when it slows down, Tim, have you tried resetting the device?

sounds like a memory leak. i had similar problem with my jailbroken 2G for a while due to weather icon widget had memory leak, restarting fixed this issue for one or two days.

installing Hullo now, many thanks GOO.

14. Nexxo

Interesting. My 3G is slow, but not that slow. When I do a lot of stuff it does occasionally freeze for a few seconds to get its act together, but not on anything as basic as flicking through the home screens. There are some reports on the web that a iPhone system restore (while simply keeping iOS 4.0) improves the speed dramatically. Might want to try that and see what happens.

HTC's battery issues really suck. They make kicking devices and then hamstring them on such a vital point. That's the issue right there --it is not that Apple is so good, it is just that the competitors are often so bad. :sigh:

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm on my fourth restore in less than two weeks :)

16. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Unfortunately, my 3G is exactly the same as yours Tim. I've been able to type out a 200 character text message and hit (where the send button would be) all before it showed up.

Plus also with texts, it does this weird arsed thing when it's 'sending' where it seems to pop up into the conversation (as it always did) but with a blank gap the same size as the message I am sending.

I have to now power-cycle the damn thing every few days when it hits chronic levels of slow-down. Which is so bad now, that if I have the iPod app playing in the background (when locked) it can take up to a minute for the bloody thing to realise I've pressed the volume up (and in frustration hit it more times thinking I wasn't getting it quite right..) and then end up being deafened on the bus.

Add to this further frustration of the proximity sensor being quite temper mental when on calls, to the effect that I've inadvertently: Hung up, placed on hold, muted, tried to conference someone else in, ACTUALLY conferencing someone else in (not good times.) and (also not good) placed people on speakerphone which was deafening, and embarrassing considering the nature of the conversation and the fact I was walking through Tesco.

Currently I'm equating my 3G with iOS4 to be about as useful as Windows 95 JULY RELEASE; It might just well be fine on its own, but woe betide you if you open a damn thing.

17. Nexxo

Strange. I have a 3G on iOS4 and I have none of those issues. :confused:

18. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

I found myself at a lose end on Saturday and upgraded to an IP4 in o2.

Instantly missing my jailbroken customed 3Gs and the lack of tomtom i came across a free satnav powered by OpenStreetMap called skobbler-lite, if you dont wanna pay for satnav, not that i did, its a good tool until the devteam jb the ip4 =D

Jailbroken/unlocked 3GS on 3.1.2 soon to be on ebay =D

19. wyx087

Vodafone satnav is also pretty good, in fact, even better than Skobbler. if you are on Vodafone, of course.

20. K

K 528491

Didn't see any issues on my 3G at all. Mum is currently happily using it with iOS 4. I can only imagine it's hardware specific!