1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Is it possible to up-grade from 32bit to 64bit with win 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by M.G., 8 Jul 2010.

1. M.G.

M.G. What's a Dremel?

Hi Folks,
    32 to 64 ??
    As my Mobo has room for 4Gb of ddr2 mem - I'm trying to re-instal Win 7 with the 64bit version ( currently on 32bit )
    Should I be able to boot from the CDrom with the 64bit disk ? ( 32bit installed no probs - first time round )
    or do I have to re-format the SSD (on another machine) and start afresh ?

My reason for asking is that It won't Boot from the win7 disk?

I can't even read either of my Win7 disks when their placed in the Cd/DVD drive ( ie: open / explore whatever )
    It just doesn't see them - Even when I try to populate the cd/drive in properties
    Is my DVD drive duff ? ( bit puzzled as it see's other disks content ect )

I'm obviously missing something or doing something wrong ??
    Any advice greatly appreciated

Regards M.G.

Note - My Win7 Ultimate is a full genuine two disk legitimate version

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sorry, you can't upgrade Windows 32-bit to the 64-bit. You can however start the setup in your current Windows.

If I was you, I would look into why WIn7 64-bit doesn't boot.
    Make sure that the boot priory is set to boot from the CD/DVD ROM drive first, THEN the HDD.
    Refer to your motherboard instruction manual for more information on this. It's failry easy to do, and EVERY computer can do this.

Once done, soon after you turn on your computer, but before Windows loads, you will see on the screen for a short period of time a message that will say "Press any key to boot from drive..." or something very similar. Do so, and it will start Windows 7 64-bit boot.

If you don't see the message, turn on the computer and press and hold the Space key, as soon as you turn it on. See if that works (sometimes the message is very quick).

If the problem is that you can only boot from a 32-bit disk, look for a firmware update for your optical drive. If they are non, then maybe your drive is busted or extremely crappy.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

^^ +1

The only "upgrade" would be a reinstall, probably accompanied by a format.
    As to whether or not you can do that in the first place depends on your CPU adn whther or not it's 64 bit. If it's a recent Desktop CPU (i.e. bought in the last 2 years or so), chances are good it can do that.

I'd seriously (as GB suggested) look into why the discs won't read, though... sounds like your drive is on the way out.
    That or the disc is broken. Way to test? Pop the disk into another Machine and see if it reads that.

What I have seen when disc drives are on the way out is that they run CDs but not DVDs, or that they can read both, but write none. Or countless variations in between.

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

You can not upgrade from 32bit to 64bit you will have to do a custom install.

If you are useing a upgrade disk do a double install.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This is not needed. Once you perform the Upgrade, Windows knows that you have a previous version of Windows, and from now on, it will work normally like if you have the full disk.

In the case it doesn't, you can follow Method 2 here:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp
    This is a new feature added in Windows 7, which allows people who got Win7 new, and got a new HDD, or their current Windows is not working.

6. M.G.

M.G. What's a Dremel?

Many thanks to all who replied :thumb:

As suggested - I tried my 7 disk in another machine and it read it just fine.

So pretty sure my CD/DVD drive is naff :rolleyes:

Have since nicked/borrowed another drive - which solved the not booting part :dremel:

Although as also metioned - Turns out my CPU doesn't support 64 bit anyways :duh:

But not all is lost - in that it has at least alearted me to the duff player,
    which I'm sure has probably been plaguing my rig for some time now
    ( and there was me blamming the software ) Win 7 gets a thumbs up from me :thumb:

On-wards and upwards - Cheers folks

Regards M.G.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Pity obout the X86 CPU.

Sorting out duff hardware is always a bonus, though... I've seen buggered optical dirves cause BSODs...

8. Delta Nine IT

Delta Nine IT New to this but not to Modding!

I have seen many samsung optical drives give errors recently.... new ones that is.